The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-04-2020, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
The book... any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Yes, I almost always get much more from a book than I do from a movie. I can't think of many exceptions for me when the movie was better than the book. Maybe "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy of movies might come close to the books, only because, at least for me, reading through the LOR trilogy is such a long slog and it's all so depressing. The time length of the depression in the movies is over sooner.

- Glenn
Old 11-08-2020, 03:14 PM

I'm an avid reader, so I normally prefer the book over the movie. "The Princess Bride" is a notable exception where I saw the movie first. The casting is nearly perfect.

It helps that the author also wrote the screenplay, of course.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayback View Post
I'm an avid reader, so I normally prefer the book over the movie. "The Princess Bride" is a notable exception where I saw the movie first. The casting is nearly perfect.

It helps that the author also wrote the screenplay, of course.
The author also wrote the screenplay?!? INCONCEIVABLE!!!
Old 11-11-2020, 04:57 AM
Charter Member

I generally prefer the book to the movie.

One exception, though, would be "Lonesome Dove." Great book, outstanding mini-series.

It comes around on TV every so often, and I can sit down at any part and enjoy it for a few hours. Or all day.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:15 PM

Anyone read Stephen King's Dark Tower series? Fantastic. Too bad the Dark Tower film bombed. It seemed like the producer was going for a Harry Potter thing that would attract kids and adults and it didn't work. I waited years for that first movie.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:33 AM

Usually the book wins it for me. Michael Connelly, Stephen King, John Connolly all on my reading list. I've read Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit more times than I care to admit over the past 50 years and thought Peter Jackson's interpretation of LOTR pretty close to what I had in my minds eye when reading the book, albeit with some omissions. The Hobbit movie didn't hit the same mark.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Anyone read Stephen King's Dark Tower series? Fantastic. Too bad the Dark Tower film bombed. It seemed like the producer was going for a Harry Potter thing that would attract kids and adults and it didn't work. I waited years for that first movie.
Having read most of Stephen Kings books now, I'm going to have tackle the series sooner or later!
Old 11-13-2020, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Seen on FB. I thought it was appropriate for this thread

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 07-07-2022 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-13-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-E View Post
Having read most of Stephen Kings books now, I'm going to have tackle the series sooner or later!
Hey Big-E, the Dark Towers series is great but it's a commitment. 7 books (some very long) and then there's "The Wind Through the Keyhole" that came out after the series was done and it fits in the middle of the series. That's the only book I've ever pre-ordered on Amazon and it was great.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Big-E, the Dark Towers series is great but it's a commitment. 7 books (some very long) and then there's "The Wind Through the Keyhole" that came out after the series was done and it fits in the middle of the series. That's the only book I've ever pre-ordered on Amazon and it was great.
Yep, I think I'm going to have to set some time aside to read them consecutively. I'll have a look at "The wind through the keyhole". Thanks.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

I was in the Overdirve app on my iPhone this morning and noticed Queen's Gambit is available on audiobook via my local library. Saw it already on TV, but I put it on the waiting list anyway (usually 1-3 weeks). Which led me to ponder the following:

- Of course, after watching the excellent 7-part series on Netflix, I'll cruise through the book picturing the wonderful faces of both lead actresses. Question is, who else might I imagine without those visual references from the movie?

- What else would be different if I actually read the book instead of listening to the audio? Since one narrator normally provides voices for all characters, I've become accustomed to guys doing female voices, and vice versa. Is either more convincing than the other? Hard to say.

- As a 1955 baby, I thought the Netflix series did a splendid job of visually portraying what I recall of the 1960s (with a somewhat broadened view beyond Portland, Oregon, thanks to Life Magazine which fascinated me then). Still, without seeing the video first, would I have envisioned similar settings, styles, houses/hotels, autos, etc., from the book alone?

As with many good stories, I'll do both if they're available - the book and the movie. I can only speculate upon how much I might've enjoyed that vivid 60s vibe, relying just on the book and my pre-teen memories.

Last edited by tinnitus; 01-24-2021 at 01:00 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic