The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-19-2019, 02:50 PM

Default Played an Eastman AR610ce today

I was in my local mom & pop store today and saw an AR610ce. I am a lifetime flat top non-performer player, but have been curious about archtops. I tried to "love" my Godin Kingpin, but could not get used to its acoustic sound. (On top of that, it demanded a precision that my 70+ year-old hands didn't want to give.) This Eastman, however, was a different story. I only tried it unplugged, and it sounded great. Not exactly like my D18, but with a bit more of what I was used to. It is LARGE with that 17" you have to get around, and it is obviously heaver than the Godin. Nevertheless, it was a fun experience. If it could make me play better, I would start working on my wife to make her understand how much I "need" this one.
Richard
Old 06-21-2019, 06:37 PM

I think they are very good guitars. I had an AR605, but when I was trying several out there was noticeable acoustic difference in the 16” vs the 17”. I didn’t want to handle the 17, so I went with the 16”. They play well and sound right, I think.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 06-22-2019, 08:05 AM

I've owned 2 x Eastman guitars. I do think they are very nice archtops, especially for the money.

Haven't played the AR610CE, but I see that it has mahogany back and sides with spruce top and a floating pickup, volume and tone controls mounted underneath the pickguard. I'll bet that guitar has a wonderful acoustic tone.

While many archtops use maple in the back sides, Eastman has several models that use mahogany. I happen to have the AR603CE-15 which shares the same solid wood specs as the AR610CE. However, the AR603CE-15 has a top mounted PAF with volume and tone pots mounted to the top as well. This, along with a 15 inch lower bout and a 2-3/4 inch body depth, does not necessarily make for loud, resonant acoustic tone. I will say that my guitar is really designed to be plugged into an amp.

Having said that, the AR603CE-15 has an okay acoustic tone and is fairly loud, especially when you consider it has a top mounted PAF, top mounted vol/tone and small body. I attribute its acoustic loudness and resonance, despite its dimensions and setup, to the mahogany back and sides.

I can only imagine how beautiful that AR610 must sound.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:17 AM

I have the non cutaway non electric AR610. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I play in a big band but I have taken it to a fiddle jam and it held its own for volume with the fiddles.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops