The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-11-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
Yea, but no. I don't agree Daniels choice was a no brainer. What was Daniel's choice, go to mid-pack team or stay with what has been one of the top teams, and a team who's unbeatable when they get it right? Well, yea, stay there! I don't believe he's a #2 driver to Max either, who, finally mid-season, showed some speed without crashing into everything. I think he would have done better staying with Red Bull, especially with an all new aero rules, which Newey is the master of. He's jumping ship too fast, just like Alonso kept doing till he was at the back of the pack then quit.
Once you're a #2 driver at Red Bull that's how it stays.
Ask Mark Webber.
When Mark was faster than Seb at a British GP the team pulled the front wing off his car and put it on Vettel's car.

The team focus is on the #1 driver ... and rightly so, Vettel paid them back by winning 4 consecutive world championships.

No question that Vettel was a better driver than Webber but I don't see Verstappen as a better driver than Dan Ricciardo ... and neither does Renault apparently.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-11-2019, 03:45 PM

Since Fangio!
Old 03-12-2019, 06:33 AM

Are they still running V8's that sound like dry clutch Ducati Desmos?

If so, probably not.

But, speaking of Ducati, I will probably pay more attention to MotoGP this year now that Ducati seems to be a player again.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Once you're a #2 driver at Red Bull that's how it stays.
Ask Mark Webber.
When Mark was faster than Seb at a British GP the team pulled the front wing off his car and put it on Vettel's car.

The team focus is on the #1 driver ... and rightly so, Vettel paid them back by winning 4 consecutive world championships.

No question that Vettel was a better driver than Webber but I don't see Verstappen as a better driver than Dan Ricciardo ... and neither does Renault apparently.

They had an aero advantage BIG TIME, the blown diffuser, etc. He was in a far superior car, Adrian did his job, it took teams years to catch up. I get team orders for the championship, that's too big to pass up, but if Lercerc spanks Vettle the first couple of races, he's not going to be the "#2" driver, they'll back him as long as he's up front with a better strategy. Vettle is cry baby and he's been loosing the Championships because of it, he'll find himself #2 right quick if he keeps it up. Hopefully, we'll see the same thing that happened to Alonso when Hamilton spanked him, he'll pretty much throw his career away leaving the best teams for meritocracy because he can't handle being beat by a teammate.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 03-12-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
Are they still running V8's that sound like dry clutch Ducati Desmos?..
No; worse, IMO. 1.6 L turbo V6s, as of ~3-4 years ago. Much more efficient than the V8s and V10s, with advanced energy recovery systems, no refueling, but not nearly as fun to listen to, again IMO.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickgm60 View Post
No; worse, IMO. 1.6 L turbo V6s, as of ~3-4 years ago. Much more efficient than the V8s and V10s, with advanced energy recovery systems, no refueling, but not nearly as fun to listen to, again IMO.
They lost me after the V-10s disappeared.

But they really lost me when NBCsn lost the TV deal and the the new (ESPN?) folks didn't pickup the broadcasting crew.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:03 PM

I've followed F1 since the mid 1960s, though that was not easy as a teenager in New Orleans.

I've been following Haas since their inception and look forward to the day they bring on an American driver. We thought for awhile it might be Ferucci, but he lost that chance with his shenanigans in F2. I do enjoy watching Grosjean drive.

Looking forward to the season!

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:47 AM

The actual 'racing' in F1 has been boring to me for many years. So little passing for the lead ever happens. I will put the race on the TV when I am available to watch, but seldom watch a replay if I miss the original broadcast. I just looked at TVracer.com and the replay listed for Sunday is at 6:30/7am (race is at 1am eastern time) - so, I probably will just catch the end of the replay. The other replay is on ESPNNews, not sure I even get that channel, but its late on Sunday night - same time as The Walking Dead!
I follow sportscar racing more, 12 Hours of Sebring is Saturday.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-17-2019, 11:43 AM

Australian Gran Prix was, again, unkind to its native. Riccardo tried to create a fourth lane and, within mere seconds of the start, was missing his front wing, later becoming one of the 3 DNFs.

Haas had another bad pit stop and Grosjean retirement, due to wheel problems. Time to replace some pit crew members? Magnussen with a respectable 6th place finish. If they can work out the bugs, Haas has a shot at overall 3d place constructor for the season, which would be a huge accomplishment.

It's on to Bahrain, for some night driving.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:18 PM

What a boring race, today.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Boring?
Ricciardo's disaster start, Bottas beat his world champion team mate, Verstappen pulled a 'fastest lap' near the end, Bottas responds and beats it. Verstappen gains on Hamilton in the closing laps, Ferrari tells LeClerc not to overtake Vettel, Honda's first podium finish since 2008.

New drivers, new teams, new rules, engine supplier swaps and upgrades.

I was naturally disappointed for Dan Ricciardo at his home GP but not disappointed in the race.

p.s. - would love a dollar for every new yellow Renault cap and T-shirt in the crowd - they must have sold a ship load!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-17-2019, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Yea, it wasn't a nail biter. Lecrec showed some pace though, I'll be Vettle is going to have to change his diapers now. Bottas was checked out. Fast kid. Max didn't hit a thing either!
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 03-18-2019, 12:51 AM

Yes, there were certain moments, but for the most part, the race was pretty processional, to me.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:44 AM

Mercedes say they discovered a chunk of floor missing from under Hamilton's car after the race but don't know what happened to it.

Quote:
p.s. - would love a dollar for every new yellow Renault cap and T-shirt in the crowd - they must have sold a ship load!
Yes - Sky commentator (Martin Brundle) said there must be a huge pile of discarded Red Bull shirts somewhere in Aus.

YouTube
Old 03-18-2019, 03:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Boring?
Ricciardo's disaster start, Bottas beat his world champion team mate, Verstappen pulled a 'fastest lap' near the end, Bottas responds and beats it. Verstappen gains on Hamilton in the closing laps, Ferrari tells LeClerc not to overtake Vettel, Honda's first podium finish since 2008.

New drivers, new teams, new rules, engine supplier swaps and upgrades.

I was naturally disappointed for Dan Ricciardo at his home GP but not disappointed in the race.

Ricciardo, should not have had his car wrecked by a drain hole by the tack, sure he was off the line but hazards like that are the fault of the track owners!

Ferraris just weren't up to snuff and Mad Max showed them how to do it. I loved to see him pass Vettel, and was sorry he didn't at least have had a go at Lewis.

Gasly did not impress coming in at 11.

Carlos Sainz in his burning McLaren : VERY poor performance by the marshals. They took FAR too long to waddle up to him. Could have been a disaster.

Giovenazzi (Sauber/Alfa) held up a whole gang of cars for too long. He should have been reprimanded for that.

Lap 47 - with Bottas a week or so on front of Hamilton told that the only way he CAN'T win is if there is a safety car or his tyres go off.

He understands that what they mean is "slow down, and care for his tyres, but he tells them he wants that ecxtra point for the fastest lap anyway.
Amusing as the team is NOT allowed to give instructions so they "word" it differently.

However Bottas is a racers and wants to race, and gets his 25+1 points.

Will Bottas be Hamilton's biggest threat this year?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic