The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-11-2017, 03:05 PM

The Emerald woodies and the various visual treatments are striking, but I happen to really like seeing the CF weave. My order (still seems weird to say that finally) was for a green Artisan X20-12.

The Rainsong APSE with its satin copper burst is very attractive, but the opaque paint hides the weave. To each his own......
Old 07-11-2017, 03:14 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
The Emerald woodies and the various visual treatments are striking, but I happen to really like seeing the CF weave. My order (still seems weird to say that finally) was for a green Artisan X20-12.

The Rainsong APSE with its satin copper burst is very attractive, but the opaque paint hides the weave. To each his own......
I really like the Emerald weave colors too, and yours will look great, Earl. That said, the contrast of CF weave to wood is nice and I totally get why many like it, but it's not to my personal taste. With a wood top, I'm into solid gloss black as per my Chimaera order. I suspect that in the future I will own another single neck Emerald 6 string with full color weave.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:15 PM
Guest 928

I also would like to see Tom2's idea put into practice. Style often reflects substance.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:33 PM
Guest 1478

Ah Captain, the moment you describe so vividly is indeed wonderful and and in desperate need of a name. how about Twangerbliss?
I don't yet have a way of posting photos on this site but here is a link to a blog with a picture.
http://emeraldguitars.com/2017/07/11...v=6cc98ba2045f

When jwhelan56 posted a photo of his Lake Tahoe Special I had a bit of a panic because Jim's guitar has the same piece of QM veneer I had chosen for mine!
After a quick email to Sean at Emerald I was relieved to find out they have a number of layers of that particular veneer and Jim & I had both chosen the same location upon it. Because the veneers are so thin these multi layers of timber are virtually identical, the differences between them are just about undetectable. Both Jim's and my QM instruments turned out beautifully.

I'm not sure about any trade agreements between Oz and the Emerald Isle, mugs or otherwise but I'm just happy not to get hit with a sizable customs bill.

Now, Tom2. This kaleidoscope guitar of which you speak...interesting...
Old 07-11-2017, 04:36 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I'm all for you commissioning one to try it out! Seriously, it sure would be interesting to see if it would play out as you suspect, and could look real cool. It would also be neat to experiment with finishes such are actually done with some cars where the paint changes color depending on the angle viewed in varying light.
There's paint that appears to change colour like that, sometimes called "flip-flop" or "chameleon" paint.
I did think about doing my boat with some of that, but as I understand it , it's difficult to apply and a bit unpredictable in results, you might be trying for blue/purple/red , but it comes out more like green/mud/brown or something...

Having seen the gorgeous stars n stripes job on that X20 , i was thinking that a tartan paint job might be a nice thing for a Scotsman.
I've got a part-used tin of Royal Stewart somewhere .....
Old 07-11-2017, 04:48 PM

Yeah, Alistair , you've done some green Celtic ones that everybody liked, now make a range of tartan guitars for next month's special ,
they'll sell like hot cakes !
Old 07-11-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
In my slow meandering stroll towards a custom X10N, I have always imagined it being translucent green with visible weave. This allows an Emerald (capital E) to truly be an emerald (small e).

However, the Lake Tahoe special reminded me of how much I enjoy Rainsong's marine burst. No photos reveal how amazing it looks in person. I looked at it with a magnifying glass, and the pigment is made of tiny metallic flakes of many colors, none of which are the actual colors of the marine burst. Our eye creates the marine burst, just like our eye creates color from a TV that only has red, green, and blue pixels.

Back in the day, I studied and experimented with optics a lot, so I am fairly knowledgeable about transmission, reflection, and perceived location of light. Now I'm into digital photography and Photoshop, so I've been experimenting with gradients, masks, and opacity. I am also using this mindset to create a method for defining custom neck profiles that is as easy as buying a new pair of shoes and as accurate as selecting a new camera lens. My ultimate goal here is not just to create a custom one-off, but to advance customization in the context of future production model instruments for the benefit of all.

My study of gradients has revealed that the best results are achieved if hard transitions are avoided. By this I mean that it's best not to start out with one pure color and end with another pure color, because the exact point of adding or removing the second color is not visually smooth. Instead, each color is always present as it's own layer, and pigment density never drops all the way to zero. This allows the transition zone to be stretched out as far as desired, without any abruptness at the edges.

I hope there are no visual diabetics reading this.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:14 PM
Guest 1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I've got a part-used tin of Royal Stewart somewhere .....
Yes, that tartan paint sure comes in handy. I also have a tin of striped paint that I keep in a cupboard along with my wooden welding rods and a big bag of nail holes.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtjohn View Post
Ah Captain, the moment you describe so vividly is indeed wonderful and and in desperate need of a name. how about Twangerbliss?
I don't yet have a way of posting photos on this site but here is a link to a blog with a picture.
http://emeraldguitars.com/2017/07/11...v=6cc98ba2045f

When jwhelan56 posted a photo of his Lake Tahoe Special I had a bit of a panic because Jim's guitar has the same piece of QM veneer I had chosen for mine!
After a quick email to Sean at Emerald I was relieved to find out they have a number of layers of that particular veneer and Jim & I had both chosen the same location upon it. Because the veneers are so thin these multi layers of timber are virtually identical, the differences between them are just about undetectable. Both Jim's and my QM instruments turned out beautifully.

I'm not sure about any trade agreements between Oz and the Emerald Isle, mugs or otherwise but I'm just happy not to get hit with a sizable customs bill.

Now, Tom2. This kaleidoscope guitar of which you speak...interesting...
xtJohn, since you posted the link, I don't imagine the Emerald folks will mind reposting the image here...

A very nice blog post, too. Congrats, again! Beautiful instruments, a happy looking couple... um, friends and neighbors.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:45 PM
Guest 1478

Thanks for that Captain.
And yes, just friends.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I agree with you on this, Earl: that carbon fiber weave is mesmerizing to look at. I think it is great that Alistair and crew will make it opaque for those who might want that, but... to make a comparison to wood: covering that pretty CF weave with paint would be like covering a rosewood back and sides guitar with solid paint.

Just my take on it, your mileage may vary, void where prohibited by law, be aware that feelings of euphoria and big goofy grins may be a side effect of using this product.

Ask your doctor if visible carbon fiber weave may be right for you... nah, I'm kidding - ask your eyes and heart!
Old 07-11-2017, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

You forgot to add that if you are excited (grinning) for more than 4 hours you should call your doctor. Or Emerald.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

I couldn't really tell a difference in the sound of the wood topped guitars and the CF guitars when I was there 2 weeks ago, but I wanted the green topped one so I ended up with a green Artisan X20 in the end Sean was a pleasure to work with, I mean he was really fantastic. Very glad I went!
Old 07-11-2017, 08:32 PM
Anticipation Junkie

John, it's really cool that two friends can enjoy playing guitar together, and order and receive cool new ones at the same time. They both look great as per the beauties Emerald steadily puts out. Even though Jim may have essentially the same piece of maple, the fact that they have such different finishes, you'd never know...and not that it mattered to you anyhow. I wish you both lots of fun jamming together. I gotta also say...if you wouldn't have mentioned that your friend is a friend, I would've sworn she is your sister. Must be something in the water there.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:17 PM

Why choose red? Because Sean said it was the next one available (late August?).
I think all of the colors are beautiful and I would have taken any of them.
But red will do nicely.

Such elegance...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber