The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-16-2013, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_Chan View Post

What an incredible "save" ! ! !
Else it would have been hell fury for a woman scorned, ya ?

Coming back from the tangent, i'm loving the "punchy" tones when my X20-OS is pushed to produce during aggressive strumming; great for some of the Hillsongs & PlanetShakers praise songs i indulge in...
Wonder if the 12-strings X20-OS is equally "punchy" with "chorus"-effect ???
Not sure about punchy as that's quite subjective, it's definitely responsive and does growl on the low end when pushed.

I've uploaded a couple more of my rough backing tracks to soundcloud for reference.

Interestingly you can get an almost organ like swell from it, it can be heard on 'ThoseEyesOrigBacking' on the above link. You can an idea of the growl and responsiveness on 'PreciousTimesBacking' also on the above link.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Hay View Post
Im loving this thread.
When I set out to design the X20-OS I decided to be completely true to myself and the materials I use and not be swayed by the past or tradition and just build the best guitar I could.
The design came together in a very short space of time but I agonised over it for a long time. I worried I had added too much inovation for it to connect with customers but on the advice of a few friends I decided to run with it.
Its turned out to be the best decision Ive ever made as its been so well received and the customer feedback just like here has been phenomenal.
The guitar just does so many things well, Its comfortable, Easy to play, Sounds great and is loud and projects. Whats more its proved to be an incredibly versatile platform for custom orders with Us having completed Baritone, 12 string and 7 string variations all with great success.
Its currently making up nearly 50% of our sales so Im very thankful for the advice to go with my gut. You just may see more of that in the future.
Alistair
You should be very proud of it Alistair, the ergonomics and form can't really be appreciated until you've seen it in the flesh. The finish and moulding on mine are flawless, I don't think the design would tolerate anything less than perfect materials and finish. And it was definitely worth going for the full gloss to fully appreciate the form.

It is a challenging design especially to the very traditional tastes of guitarists but good design is good design and I think that and the quality of the materials and craftsmanship are evident.

Sounds good too

I did post a thank you on Emerald's FB page, not sure if you saw it but thanks again!
Old 08-16-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganskins View Post
Not sure about punchy as that's quite subjective, it's definitely responsive and does growl on the low end when pushed.

I've uploaded a couple more of my rough backing tracks to soundcloud for reference.

Interestingly you can get an almost organ like swell from it, it can be heard on 'ThoseEyesOrigBacking' on the above link. You can an idea of the growl and responsiveness on 'PreciousTimesBacking' also on the above link.
Wow, those recordings are impressive, well done and it does show how good the X20 OS is as a 12. Every point you make is heard on those tracks, very nice. Curious what strings are you using and what recording device? Thanks for posting Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-16-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Wow, those recordings are impressive, well done and it does show how good the X20 OS is as a 12. Every point you make is heard on those tracks, very nice. Curious what strings are you using and what recording device? Thanks for posting Steve
They're the factory strings, does he use d'addarios?

Recording is another quick and dirty one into a zoom H1 without much care for placement as long as it's pointing in the general direction, no post production except the levels are pushed up in garageband.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
Mark, I don't want to be a bad influence... but I really can't believe you haven't added an X20-OS to your herd. I keep luvin' mine more all the time... I think Alistair brought it all to the party on this one.

... just sayin'.
I am working on it..
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-16-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
They're the factory strings, does he use d'addarios?

Recording is another quick and dirty one into a zoom H1 without much care for placement as long as it's pointing in the general direction, no post production except the levels are pushed up in garageband.
LOL just think if you changed strings, yes I believe they are Diadarrio's
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 08-16-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Hay View Post
Im loving this thread.
When I set out to design the X20-OS I decided to be completely true to myself and the materials I use and not be swayed by the past or tradition and just build the best guitar I could.
The design came together in a very short space of time but I agonised over it for a long time. I worried I had added too much inovation for it to connect with customers but on the advice of a few friends I decided to run with it.
Its turned out to be the best decision Ive ever made as its been so well received and the customer feedback just like here has been phenomenal.
The guitar just does so many things well, Its comfortable, Easy to play, Sounds great and is loud and projects. Whats more its proved to be an incredibly versatile platform for custom orders with Us having completed Baritone, 12 string and 7 string variations all with great success.
Its currently making up nearly 50% of our sales so Im very thankful for the advice to go with my gut. You just may see more of that in the future.
Alistair
Thank Goodness You Went With Your Gut Alistair!!! Very often we guitarist's have to settle for what is on the market...Even more rare is to be on the cutting edge of such creativity!!! I can sum it up with one word: Inspireing...
The only negative that I can find with the X20-OS??? It is that I can finally "hear" every mistake that my fingers produce...And this is a good thing, as it is forcing me to get better...
Old 08-16-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Here's a quick recording of mine to whet your appetite

That looks like the pictures of mine from Alistair...... your playing is better however.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 09-21-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
LOL just think if you changed strings, yes I believe they are Diadarrio's
As an experiment I just put on Elixer Polywebs and the sound is definitely quiter and not quite as "clean" as the D'Adarrios...not bad, but the tone is not quite as pleasing to my ears...however I went with a light gauge instead of the medium gauge on the EXP16s...will try the Elixer Nanowebs next and see how they sound...Any other suggestions for strings to try?

On a side note...Doubleneck and Acoustic Tomato On the Chimera do you think a fan fret would give a more pleasing Bass tone? How about a Manzer wedge? It might be too much trouble for Alistair to change the mold (and too expensive and time consuming), but I am just thinking outside the box here...
Old 09-21-2013, 02:54 PM

Usually use Elixir Nanos. You ought to try pure nickel once, I swear on Emeralds they sound very woody. Didn't work on Rainsong. On the Chimaera I wouldn't change anything. I think a fan fret on a double would be problematic. I think one of the master strokes was making it thin at 3.5 inches. I would not want one side thicker.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 09-22-2013, 02:08 PM

I had tuned my X20-OS down to D a couple times and found it worked extremely well with the lowered tuning. This weekend I put on a set of mediums and tuned it down to C just to see what it would do. WOW! I suddenly have a baritone guitar that really growls. The action remains low and it stays remarkably in tune up as I barr up the fretboard. This is clearly the most versatile instrument I have every owned.

Emerald X-20
Guild BT-240E
Journey OF660
Old 09-23-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GELewis View Post
I had tuned my X20-OS down to D a couple times and found it worked extremely well with the lowered tuning. This weekend I put on a set of mediums and tuned it down to C just to see what it would do. WOW! I suddenly have a baritone guitar that really growls. The action remains low and it stays remarkably in tune up as I barr up the fretboard. This is clearly the most versatile instrument I have every owned.
Just tuned down to D due to your post GE and wow...what a difference in the "playability" of the X20-OS!!! The action on my instrument is a little high for my playing style, so the decreased tension really made quite a difference to my particular fingersstyle...The next time I put mediums on it I will tune down to C and hopefully will have a baritone like your experience!!! And I agree with the versatility of the instrument...I'm still exploring this beautiful creation!!!
One thing you might try is putting a spider capo on it and see what alternate tunings can do to it...quite a learning experience for me...
Old 09-23-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Usually use Elixir Nanos. You ought to try pure nickel once, I swear on Emeralds they sound very woody. Didn't work on Rainsong. On the Chimaera I wouldn't change anything. I think a fan fret on a double would be problematic. I think one of the master strokes was making it thin at 3.5 inches. I would not want one side thicker.
Pure nickel...I have not thought of that Steve...Thank you Amigo!!! Also I think you are right about the Chimaera...Can't wait to hear back from Alistair on mine!!!
Old 09-23-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Pure nickel...I have not thought of that Steve...Thank you Amigo!!! Also I think you are right about the Chimaera...Can't wait to hear back from Alistair on mine!!!
Will be fasinating when you get your Chimaera, how you compare it to the X20 OS?
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 02-23-2014, 05:25 AM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it is on subject that I'm really curious about: the X20-OS sound ...

People seem to like its sound. I've been scouring the internet for sound samples but nothing has really "touched" me. I have a suspicion that I 've been hearing particular musicians, playing particular songs, with their particular styles... and that has been getting in the way.

I'm hoping to hear more descriptions of the sound or, ideally, more acoustically captured sound samples.

I have not recently played lots of different guitars, and getting any carbon guitar in my hands to try in Finland seems unlikely. My current acoustic guitar is a jumbo (so I have enough volume and bottom to worry the dog), and it has birch (!) back, sides and neck (so I get quite a bit of zing in the overtones too).

... or perhaps I should just wait until nobody else is at home, and play this LOUD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzqamrDBES0

Last edited by perttime; 02-24-2014 at 02:34 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber