The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-30-2013, 03:45 PM

Granted I think the slotted head is cool but is their really any serious advantage? Seems more like tradition!
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 05-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Granted I think the slotted head is cool but is their really any serious advantage? Seems more like tradition!
For a nylon-string the larger diameter rollers are really preferred. I suspect that the guitar Ted has shown simply has steel-string tuners which are not at all optimal.

Notice that the guitar is not for sale...this could be one of the reasons why...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 05-30-2013, 04:21 PM

Ted,

It looks likes the top of the new guitar is a standard RS weave rather than uni-directional. I assume this is meant to brighten the sound a bit? I wonder how CF back/sides would impact the sound as compared to the hybrid design? Wouldn't it be louder and brighter? Lastly, might this classic ALL CF standard weave (top/back/sides) make an OM size nylon string guitar a possibility?

As far as a slotted headstock and traditional tuners... I think it would be cool. However, if I am buying a CF nylon string guitar... how concerned about tradition can I truly be?

Again, Ted... thank you for working with RainSong to broaden the available instruments in CF. Much appreciated.

Last edited by SteelPastor; 06-01-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
For a nylon-string the larger diameter rollers are really preferred. I suspect that the guitar Ted has shown simply has steel-string tuners which are not at all optimal.

Notice that the guitar is not for sale...this could be one of the reasons why...
They are nylon string tuners Larry, they are made to be used with a solid headstock, made by Sperzel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelPastor View Post

Ted,

It looks likes the top of the new guitar is a standard RS weave rather than uni-directional. I assume this is meant to brighten the sound a bit? I wonder how CF back/sides would impact the sound as compared to the hybrid design? Wouldn't it be louder and brighter? Lastly, might this classic ALL CF standard weave (top/back/sides) make an OM size nylon string guitar a possibility?

As far as a slotted headstock and traditional tuners... I think it would be cool. However, if I am buying a CF nylon string guitar... how concerned about tradition can I truly be?

Again, Ted... thank you for working with RainSong to broaden the available instruments in CF. Much appreciated.

Thanks for the kind words SP.

As for materials, this proto has hybrid back and sides but the next one will be all CF for added projection, not sure a unidirectional top would bring anything to the table. There might be other minor tweaks but overall the PA will not veer far from the standard Parlor. Keep in mind this is a crossover guitar for a steel string player who wants to add some tonal variety to their music not a true classical.

BTW, I handed it to a few clients and although there wasn't much interest in trying it at first, most found it hard to put down, it's just super fun to play.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:35 PM

Ted,

What strings did you put on the guitar? What about ball end nylons?

Old 05-30-2013, 09:27 PM

I was in the store today, mainly to check out the Rainsong Parlors. Afterwards, I was having a chinwag with with Ted afterwards and he brought out the nylon parlor for me to try. I'm not a nylon string player at all - but apart from the projection issues mentioned - it did seem like a fun instrument. It wouldn't suit a full classical piece, but I can imagine it strummed and plucked by a campfire, singing some cowboy songs with a mournful harmonica accompaniment.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
I was in the store today, mainly to check out the Rainsong Parlors. Afterwards, I was having a chinwag with with Ted afterwards and he brought out the nylon parlor for me to try. I'm not a nylon string player at all - but apart from the projection issues mentioned - it did seem like a fun instrument. It wouldn't suit a full classical piece, but I can imagine it strummed and plucked by a campfire, singing some cowboy songs with a mournful harmonica accompaniment.
And your thoughts on the steel string Parlor were?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 05-31-2013, 07:27 AM

What is the nut width? I think the vibe is great with the guitar Ted. It's a modern nylon, and a 1 7/8th nut width would be the perfect fit.

I have been doing thorough string tests on the Leviora guitars. To my surprise, the D'Addarrio EXP 45s sounded great on the nylon one. I have been a long time Oasis string fan. String experimenting is not only fun but critical to finding the right sound on a CF guitar or any guitar for that matter.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 05-31-2013, 06:01 PM

Default Rainsong classical

Just as an aside - I have the original Rainsong Classical guitar, serial #277, slotted headstock, traditional tuners, 2" nut. I have had it for 14 years and I love it. Personally I feel it compares very well to traditional wood classical guitars and it is a joy to play!

Darrel
Old 05-31-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrel_jw View Post
Just as an aside - I have the original Rainsong Classical guitar, serial #277, slotted headstock, traditional tuners, 2" nut. I have had it for 14 years and I love it. Personally I feel it compares very well to traditional wood classical guitars and it is a joy to play!

Darrel

Darrel...

This simply will not due! There MUST be pics to accompany such a claim! Seriously, don't leave us hanging!

Old 05-31-2013, 09:16 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
They are nylon string tuners Larry, they are made to be used with a solid headstock, made by Sperzel.

I've never heard of such a thing.

Cool!

How do you like the functionality...?
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 05-31-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelPastor View Post
Darrel...

This simply will not due! There MUST be pics to accompany such a claim! Seriously, don't leave us hanging!

Ok, silly question - how do I upload pictures on this website? Do I go to advanced and do something there? Thanks!

Darrel
Old 05-31-2013, 11:14 PM

Okay, I figured out how to submit pictures, so let me know if these work! I've had it since Dec. 1998. It has Fishman active matrix pickups, is patterned after Pimentel's Grand Concert classical guitar. I normally use D'Addario dynacore normal tension strings. IMHO it sounds just awesome!

Last edited by darrel_jw; 05-31-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:18 PM

Well let me try again!

Old 05-31-2013, 11:42 PM

One more attempt - well, I can't seem to get more than one picture submitted correctly so you will have to make due!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber