The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-04-2011, 07:21 PM
AGF Administrator

I think a CF sub-forum would be a nice addition as well. I'd also support a dedicated sub-forum for each of the major manufacturers (within reason, taking into account moderator workload). Lumping everyone who doesn't talk Taylor into one big forum doesn't seem fair and I think like-minded enthusiasts would enjoy having a section dedicated to their favorite brand and would inspire a more community feel amongst those who aren't specifically Taylor fans.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:31 PM

I don't own any carbon fiber instruments, or have any great yearning to get one, so I'm neutral so far as any of this goes. But I'm not sure a carbon fiber guitar subforum would necessarily stimulate any more conversation on the topic than having those discussions here in the gear section.

If anything, it might limit the range of participation. By having the discussions here where everyone can see them, I think it draws in folks who might otherwise have little to no awareness that such a thing even exists.

But - what the heck - give it a try, see what happens.

While we're on the topic of creating new subforums, one I would like to see is an "Other Stringed Instruments" subforum. There are a lot of guitarists who double on mandolin, and quite a number of us play other instruments besides. But whenever these topics come up they get relocated to the "Open Mic" subforum, where they tend to quickly wither and die.

It would be nice to have a place to discuss these topics, since there are a lot of multi-instrumentalists here.

Just a thought...

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-04-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I don't own any carbon fiber instruments, or have any great yearning to get one, so I'm neutral so far as any of this goes. But I'm not sure a carbon fiber guitar subforum would necessarily stimulate any more conversation on the topic than having those discussions here in the gear section.

If anything, it might limit the range of participation. By having the discussions here where everyone can see them, I think it draws in folks who might otherwise have little to no awareness that such a thing even exists.

But - what the heck - give it a try, see what happens.

While we're on the topic of creating new subforums, one I would like to see is an "Other Stringed Instruments" subforum. There are a lot of guitarists who double on mandolin, and quite a number of us play other instruments besides. But whenever these topics come up they get relocated to the "Open Mic" subforum, where they tend to quickly wither and die.

It would be nice to have a place to discuss these topics, since there are a lot of multi-instrumentalists here.

Just a thought...

Wade Hampton Miller
+1

a place for mandolins, banjos, appalachian dulcimers, bowed instruments, and rubberbands!

I should be playing...

======
Old 12-04-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
I think a CF sub-forum would be a nice addition as well. I'd also support a dedicated sub-forum for each of the major manufacturers (within reason, taking into account moderator workload). Lumping everyone who doesn't talk Taylor into one big forum doesn't seem fair and I think like-minded enthusiasts would enjoy having a section dedicated to their favorite brand and would inspire a more community feel amongst those who aren't specifically Taylor fans.
The danger with creating too many subforums is that it takes time and effort to look into each one. There was a very popular forum called The 13th Fret that had a lot of participation and all of the discussions on one page, which created a lot of cross-fertilization and interesting discussions between folks who might not have identical interests but who could share their perspectives with each other.

Then one Monday morning we all logged on to discover that just about every conceivable subject had been subdivided into its own subforum - where there had been one big, friendly, active forum there were now more than a dozen narrowly defined little subforums.

After attempting to keep up with everything for a week or so I gave up, because I had neither the time or the energy (or the inclination, frankly) to open more than one or two of the subforums.

Not surprisingly, participation there plummeted, as many others felt precisely the same way I did. There was no big rally or thread where people wrote: "Hey, this new format sucks!", there was just a quiet but very noticeable drop off in people logging on.

So while there can always be ways to justify subdividing these discussions into subforums, there's a price to pay for that, as well.

Just a thought. In my earlier post in this thread I wrote "How about starting an "Other Stringed Instruments" subforum?", but I'd be even happier if those discussions of other instruments were allowed in this main "Gear" discussion forum.

The more these interest groups get classified and shunted off away from each other, the less interaction between people there will be. So my honest feeling is that the fewer subforums, the better, if an open exchange of information and differing perspectives is truly the goal.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

I wouldn't read a carbon fiber sub-forum, although I frequently read threads in this section that pertain to carbon fiber guitars. I think segregating discussions of carbon fiber guitars would reduce my exposure to the topic rather than enhance it. But if folks who have 'em want a dedicated place to talk about them, I don't really mind. I just wouldn't be likely to drop in.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:27 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
The danger with creating too many subforums is that it takes time and effort to look into each one. There was a very popular forum called The 13th Fret that had a lot of participation and all of the discussions on one page, which created a lot of cross-fertilization and interesting discussions between folks who might not have identical interests but who could share their perspectives with each other.
I went through a similar issue on a cell phone forum I administer. As it grew it got to the point where people were complaining of clutter and their threads quickly getting buried because everything was lumped together. We polled the community and while some preferred everything together the majority felt sub-forums were necessary to alleviate the problem.

I've always viewed them as a necessary evil for large forums.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:37 PM

This forum has a lot of traffic. Thus topics tend to move really quickly. I do love the idea of a "other stringed instrument" subforum.

And I have to say, The MacNichol CF forum is a really special place. It's a smaller community, but a very cool place. As part of this forum, it is amazing to watch the evolution in development of carbon fiber guitars.

Some great discussion. It will be interesting to see where it goes!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 12-04-2011, 08:54 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

I don't really want to grow the amount of subforums that we have either, and I've been careful in this area. I could fold the PLAY & RECORD forums into one forum called.... guess. That would free up a spot for Carbon Fiber and Composite instruments - all of 'em.

Other Stringed instruments is a GREAT idea. Our mods were discussing the same thing awhile back and I think this does make sense now given the size of our membership and daily activity.

I don't think I'll do anymore brand-specific forums. The Taylor Forum is where we began and is still going strong as its own community, but the AGF's focus is on all topics related to Acoustic Guitar and associated music.

Lastly, I didn't mean any disrespect toward MacNichol or the CarbonGuitar forum there on his website. He's done a tremendous job furthering CF in the music world and he's also a good supporter of the AGF. Discussions here wont take away from the discussions in MacNichol's world, but could help his business in CF guitars overall.

JR
Old 12-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
The question is whether it would be a worthwhile addition to AGF, but I can also see where there would a tendency to compare the two...
My post was a general response to previous posts that already used the MacNichol forum as a point of comparison. I did address the central issue of such a forum by saying I would visit it. It is difficult to know how others will interpret a post, so I hope this makes my post clearer.

Tony
Old 12-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
My post was a general response to previous posts that already used the MacNichol forum as a point of comparison. I did address the central issue of such a forum by saying I would visit it. It is difficult to know how others will interpret a post, so I hope this makes my post clearer.

Tony
Tony: I understood and agreed with your previous post...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-04-2011, 10:20 PM
AGF Administrator

Being a mandolin player as well, I also like the idea of Other Stringed Instruments.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:34 PM

I would be definitely against it, just as I would be against a separate Martin, Gibson, or whatever subforum. Apart from the Taylor subforum (which I'm not too crazy about ...), I think it's interesting to get a ragbag of threads about all kinds of guitars all together. I think that way, we get to read about instruments that we wouldn't normally think of. What's more, I think sub-forums for devotees can get very xenophobic and reactionary towards anyone that dares to criticize "the brand". I think a separate nylon section is valid, but apart from that, the big advantage that AGF has over other forums, in my view, is not the people (no offense intended - the people here are fine!), but the fact that it's a pluralisitic environment without a lot of the silliness that can accompany in-crowd forums and subforums.

Last edited by ewalling; 12-05-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I think it's interesting to get a ragbag of threads about all kinds of guitars all together. I think that way, we get to read about instruments that we wouldn't normally think of.
Well said, sir. For this reason I don't think a new sub forum is desirable.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:07 PM

I have a CF guitar, and think macnichol serves the cf community well for more focused CF discussions - my vote would be no. However, an other stringed instrument sub forum would be great!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:23 AM

I am very interested in CF guitars, but I tend to agree with what many have said. I don't know if there would be quite enough content to fill a whole subforum, and there are probably many other topics that are covered more that don't have their own subforum.

Personally though, I would love to see it. I am super intrigued/interested in CF guitars, and I would love to own one some day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber