The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-03-2010, 12:16 PM

Default Hofner model and woods ID?

First post here on this forum. I'm mainly an electric player, although I own four acoustics and three electrics. Anyways, my first guitar I ever bought, back in 2005, was an old Hofner-Anno classical guitar. I strung it up left handed and learned the basics on it until I got an electric guitar. I've still got the classical, but it never gets played since it has a severely warped neck. It has a beautiful tone with very, very tight bass and very rounded treble. I just restrung it yesterday and oiled up the fretboard and it got me wondering. To my (untrained) eye, it looks as if the fretboard is Brazilian rosewood.

I bought this guitar from my then girlfriend's mom, who had it stored away in her attic for 20 or 25 years. She bought it when she was living in England and that's all I know. It has no serial numbers, model numbers, date stamps or any markings of any kind other than the soundhole sticker which reads Hofner-Anno Made In Germany. Two piece neck, solid top (I think) and a very uniquely figured back and sides. I'm not sure if the back and sides are laminate with a veneer, or solid wood.

Can anyone here identify the woods used? I think the top is spruce, but I have no real way of knowing and I don't know a lot when it comes to woods and identifying them. Basically, I'd like to know if someone can ID the woods used to build the guitar, and I'd especially like to know if the fretboard is Brazilian. The guitar is all original, except for the tuners, which were replaced back in '06 or '07.

EDIT: I should add that I have searched high and low on the internet and in books for a similar model to this one, yet I cannot find any Hofner model that looks similar. What I have gathered is that the sticker that is on the inside of the guitar is the same as the stickers used on a lot of 70's models Hofners, so I'm assuming it was made some time in the 70's. I've emailed a lot of people on Hofner related websites and most of the time, never gotten a reply back.

Last edited by LeftyBlake; 07-03-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:18 PM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical