The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-04-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd6969 View Post
Does a wound 3rd string work for you?...
I've never tried it, to be completely honest. I've contemplated it several times over the last couple years. Does it help balance?

Nick
Old 06-04-2010, 11:32 AM
HarleySpirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granderojo View Post
Apologies! I meant La Bella not D'Addario. It was late...I was enjoying some vino.

Thanks bfloyd!
Strings with "balls"... do seem to be cheaper! Who cares? but...
the money saved can go towards a good "bottle of screech" at yr' next "kitchen party".
Old 06-04-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntotoro View Post
How was their balance? I'd give (almost) anything to find a set in which the G wasn't seemingly 100db lower in volume than the other strings.

Nick
The balance is very good. You won't be disappointed!

The La Bella Super Folks look kinda goofy because the 3 basses are gold wound, 3 & 2 are white nylon wound,
and the 1st string is black nylon. My particular first string plastic ball end was weak so it's tied at the bridge;
while strings 2 thru 6 have standard steel string ball ends. Yeah, I'm weird like that.

I think the 900W Gold Superiors with the 3rd wound string will look much cooler.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntotoro View Post
I've never tried it, to be completely honest. I've contemplated it several times over the last couple years. Does it help balance?

Nick
Many players think so. I think you should give it a try and see if you like it
Old 06-04-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granderojo View Post
The balance is very good. You won't be disappointed!

The La Bella Super Folks look kinda goofy because the 3 basses are gold wound, 3 & 2 are white nylon wound,
and the 1st string is black nylon. My particular first string plastic ball end was weak so it's tied at the bridge;
while strings 2 thru 6 have standard steel string ball ends. Yeah, I'm weird like that.

I think the 900W Gold Superiors with the 3rd wound string will look much cooler.
You know, the few sets of Folksingers that I have used, all the high E strings broke at the ball end as well - the same as you with the knot slipping through the ball. This sounds like it may be a Labella quality issue... Still, I like Frankenstein look of the Super Folks
Old 06-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I've just strung up my NS72 with some GHS La CLassique High Tensions, mainly because they have the wound 3rd. These strings sound really good and they are about two and half times cheaper than some makes like Savarez Alliance or Hannabachs.

Do other people feel that the really pricey nylon strings are worth the extra cost?
So far the GHS Doyle Dykes signatures have been my favorite. I haven't tried the Hannabachs but the Savarezs were OK.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:31 PM

Savarez Alliance HT Classics work best on my guitar. I've tried others but these work best for me.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 06-13-2010, 09:11 PM

'Luthier' brand strings are cheap, reliable and sound quite a bit better on high end guitars than the expensive strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical