The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-28-2007, 06:11 PM

Default Zoom H4 question, this time about piano/keyboard recording - Anyone - Bob Womack?

To get started, let's say that after reading so many glowing reviews here about the Zoom H4, I really want one. I could definitely use a recording scratch pad for guitar. However, since I'm first and foremost a pianist, I'd like the input of AGFers on how well it works for recording a piano or keyboard.

Has anyone here recorded anything played on a piano or keyboard with their Zoom H4? How did it work? The piano soundboard being as large as it is, and using the built in mics, how to did you place the H4 so that you didn't get one register overpowering the other?

Feel free to make any other comments you may think relevant or important but not directly related to any of the questions I asked. I don't always think of everything I would like to ask right away.

Thanks.

Last edited by cosine; 03-29-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:14 PM

Anyone? Bob Womack? You're a recording engineer, right, have you had any experience similar to what I'm interested in?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Cocobologist

I haven't recorded a piano with the H4, but may be able to offer a suggestion or two...

The unit comes with a "Holster" that mounts on a standard photography tripod. I would recommend mounting the unit to the tripod and pointing toward piano, opening the lid of the piano and playing away! I think you could experiment with placement for best tone but, since you're using it as a sketchbook, the key is to find a gain setting and position that best captures your work.

Good luck and make sure to post your results!!!!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 03-29-2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
Good luck and make sure to post your results!!!!
Thanks, and well, I have to get one first.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell