The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-11-2006, 09:32 PM

Default Yet another H4 question

What is the connection between the Zoom H4 and the included Cubase software. Can you explain by scenario type? For example, can I record remotely and then upload the recording to Cubase. Or, can I connect the H4 to the PC and record directly to Cubase? Do I have to use Cubase at all to manipulate recordings taken offline? Sorry for the very naive questions.
Formerly ITArchitect
Old 12-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITArchitect View Post
What is the connection between the Zoom H4 and the included Cubase software. Can you explain by scenario type? For example, can I record remotely and then upload the recording to Cubase. Or, can I connect the H4 to the PC and record directly to Cubase? Do I have to use Cubase at all to manipulate recordings taken offline? Sorry for the very naive questions.
Hi ITA...
USB cable and select the proper setting on the screen. It then becomes like any other outboard interface.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-12-2006, 09:29 AM

But can I record offline and then "upload" to Cubase? And if so, what would I be doing with the uploaded file in Cubase?
Formerly ITArchitect
Old 12-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
But can I record offline and then "upload" to Cubase? And if so, what would I be doing with the uploaded file in Cubase?
Hi ITA...
Adding effects, adjusting volumes of tracks and master volume, trim unwanted beginnings and ends, split speaking into tracks (for lectures, sermons or other talks) and the like.

You could add tracks for that matter then remix.

I didn't buy an H4 for the interface capability, but do like the flexibility. Also, I use other programs to trim track length, split tracks and the like.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-12-2006, 03:14 PM

Thanks Larry. So, I spent an hour or so at GC reading manuals. Tell me if I have reached the right conclusion regarding types of units.
Type 1: This is a standalone recorder such as the Boss BR-600. All recording is done on the unit and all editing or manipulation of tracks is done on the unit. It can upload to the PC for saving or possible further manipluation in PC SW, but that SW is not included. Good for home recording, field recording is possible. Editing and track manipulation is more cumbersome than on the PC.
Type 2: This unit is just an interface to the PC, such as the Presonus. All recording, editing and track manipulation is done on the PC with SW such as Cubase which is typically included. Good for at home recording, not good for field recording.
Type 3: This is a combination unit such as the Zoom H4. Recording can be done directly on the unit (like the Type 1 BR-600) or it can be used as an interface to record on the PC (like the Type 2 Presonus). Editing and track manipulation is best done on the PC? Good for at home recording or field recording.

Do I have it right, or am I missing something basic?
Formerly ITArchitect
Old 12-12-2006, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Larry. So, I spent an hour or so at GC reading manuals. Tell me if I have reached the right conclusion regarding types of units.
Type 1: This is a standalone recorder such as the Boss BR-600. All recording is done on the unit and all editing or manipulation of tracks is done on the unit...
Type 2: This unit is just an interface to the PC...
Type 3: This is a combination unit...
Do I have it right, or am I missing something basic?
Hi ITA...
You summed them up well, and I place the H4 as being between a type 2 & 3 when it is an interface, a type 1 when it is used as a standalone...actually the Zoom is a hybrid.

A true Type 3 is like the Lexicon Lambda, M-box, M-Audio, Tascam U-122 etc. They have simple volume controls, headphone outs and tend to have full sized knobs, switches, buttons etc.

The MOTU firewire units are another Type 3 that are often used as Type 2 by your definition. I set the input levels to match my tube preamps and they are only used as a converter and interface.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 12-12-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi
A true Type 3 is like the Lexicon Lambda, M-box, M-Audio, Tascam U-122 etc. They have simple volume controls, headphone outs and tend to have full sized knobs, switches, buttons etc.
My type 3 definition includes being able to record directly on the unit (like the H4). As I read it, the Tascam 122 would be a type 2. Am I wrong?
Formerly ITArchitect
Old 12-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My type 3 definition includes being able to record directly on the unit (like the H4). As I read it, the Tascam 122 would be a type 2. Am I wrong?
Hi ITA...
Maybe...

The US-122 has lots of knobs for affecting the sound going into the computer. I have not played with the H4 to see how many (if any) of the controls work when it is being used as an interface (have not even read that section of the manual, and don't plan to).
Tascam US-122 pic - click

These kinds of interface units (Lexicon, M-box, M-Audio, MOTU, Tascam US-122) have some serious ability to affect the signal pre-computer. They control input volume, latency, headphone and line out signals, phantom etc from the box, not from the computer. I'm assuming the Zoom H4 does this too to a limited degree (phantom, line out, headphone, input levels etc).

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Last edited by ljguitar; 12-12-2006 at 06:37 PM. Reason: forgot to paste the pic
Old 12-12-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi ITA...
Maybe...

The US-122 has lots of knobs for affecting the sound going into the computer. I have not played with the H4 to see how many (if any) of the controls work when it is being used as an interface (have not even read that section of the manual, and don't plan to).
Tascam US-122 pic - click

These kinds of interface units (Lexicon, M-box, M-Audio, MOTU, Tascam US-122) have some serious ability to affect the signal pre-computer. They control input volume, latency, headphone and line out signals, phantom etc from the box, not from the computer. I'm assuming the Zoom H4 does this too to a limited degree (phantom, line out, headphone, input levels etc).

Hope this helps...
the zoom has completely replaced a tascam 122, a cheap set of xml mics and a samson usb mic. it's just so much easier not being tethered to the computer in any way. plus, i have 6 drives in my computer and if it's powered on theres always that low-level rumble.

/guy
Old 12-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
the zoom has completely replaced a tascam 122, a cheap set of xml mics and a samson usb mic. it's just so much easier not being tethered to the computer in any way. plus, i have 6 drives in my computer and if it's powered on theres always that low-level rumble.
Hi Guy...
I agree...for me it replaced an M-box and mics and laptop computer and hard drive and stands and all the cabling to hook them together and the power bar and an extension cord.

Now it's so easy to walk in with the H4 in my pocket or guitar case, a small tripod, and spare batteries.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 12-13-2006, 10:15 AM

Default One more question

So, let's say I record a track using the Zoom in standalone. Now I would like to record a second track of rythym, while listening to the first track with the intent to combine them later on a CD. Must I be hooked up to the PC to do that or can I do that standalone? Or can I do it either way?
Formerly ITArchitect
Old 12-13-2006, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So, let's say I record a track using the Zoom in standalone. Now I would like to record a second track of rythym, while listening to the first track with the intent to combine them later on a CD. Must I be hooked up to the PC to do that or can I do that standalone? Or can I do it either way?
Hi ITA...
Either way.

Have you downloaded the H4 manual yet? It would be a good thing for you to look through it...it's available somewhere free as a pdf file.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 12-13-2006, 11:04 AM

http://www.samsontech.com/products/r.../H4_manual.pdf

(for some reason that page will barely load for me--javascript is eating me alive today. might have to go to the root of the url and start from there)

/guy
Old 12-13-2006, 12:54 PM

I got the manual and it was very helpful. Thanks. Now I need to read the Cubase manual and I will have a good feel for the options. Bottom line is that I can record a second track while listening to the first in standalone mode. Any advanced features in the BR600 such as punch in would have to be done in Cubase.
Formerly ITArchitect
Old 12-13-2006, 04:48 PM

I don't mean to derail, but have a question related to another thread I started about in ear monitors and the signal chain.

In one of my out of the box moments, I wondered if my wife could hook and H4 wherever works, {mic stand, waist, etc} and run an earpiece to one ear and use the H4 condensor mikes as a personal monitor, without intrusion on the existing signal chain.

Is this feasible ?

Thx for any input.

We return you now to your regularly scheduled program.

McPherson 4.5W RW/ZI
Taylor 812ce - Taylor 514ce - NS32-ce
Adamas W-597, Epi John Lee Hooker Sig #23 of 220, Squire Black Strat
Jay Turser Maple OM
Taylor W14ce / 422-R Babies x 3
Fishman 130W Tri-Amped Performer Acoustic Amp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell