The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 04-28-2019, 06:06 PM

Default Soundcloud/Spotify

Hi..........
I think this is the right venue for this question.
For those in the know.......what are differences/advantages to Spotify versus Soundcloud? I'm now in SC, but considering adding Spotify, but don't really know much about how that site works.
Any advice on what Spotify might bring me over SC? Just curious at this stage and thought I'd see about AGF opinions.
Thanks,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 04-29-2019, 08:34 AM

What are you trying to listen to?
Soundcloud has files uploaded by users, and note that unless you pay for premium soundcloud service, the files have compressed (resolution) pretty severly.

Spotify has commercially-released music. The free service is not as compressed (low resolution) as Soundcloud, but of course includes commercials vey few songs.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-29-2019, 09:47 AM

Distributing your own music or looking to listen to others music?

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-29-2019, 10:06 AM

Thank you Mike and Frank!!
This is for the release/exposure of my own music, versus just listening adventures.
Mike thanks for the heads up on the compression in SC.....I am on the professional version, not the top version pro unlimited ( about twice the yearly charge)

Thanks for responding...perhaps this info helps with other thoughts??

Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-

Old 04-29-2019, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

I use either my own web host for whatever resolution I could want (I use a wav or 320 bit rate mp3), or youtube, which comes out equivalent to a 192 bit rate mp3 if you use a higher resolution video or photo. A web host would run you a few dollars a month.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-30-2019, 07:27 AM

The 'resolution' thing only applies to listening - you can't control what others choose (free or paid).

For release/exposure of your music, the best solution is to use a service such as CDBaby, Disktroid, etc. They will get your music on all the major streaming services (Spotify, AppleMusic, etc) and collect the streaming royalties (assuming you are the songwriter), too.
I've used CDBaby with some success (collecting a few $$ sales/streams) - look for their 'sale' prices - regular one-time charge for standard service is $49, but often the sale price is $29. Some places offer a lower annual fee (you have to pay every year to keep your music online and to collect royalties).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-30-2019, 08:02 AM

I distribute a regular audio piece, usually less than 5 minutes, consisting of original music and (almost always) someone else's words. I use the same listings and methods as podcasts, which are predominately now hour long interviews, audio documentaries or folks yakking about their interests.

I consider it counter-programming, but I know I'm also going against the tide there in the podcast world. Over the three years my stuff was once primarily listened to via podcast services (Apple podcasts, et al) and now is increasing listened to via a player on my blog.

A few years back I tried to sign up to use Soundcloud to stream my podcast. My memory was that I couldn't get their sign up for that level of their service to work, so while I have a Soundcloud account, I rarely use it. As a musician's tool it has a reputation a being strong on rap/hip hop discovery.

Spotify was easy to sign up for podcast distribution and reliable. Alas, they are not a great podcast listening platform in that you can't really queue up podcasts in a playlist manner (yes, podcast makers and listener remind them regularly that would be good to add). I assume I get some discovery via Spotify because of the large number of subscribers, but it's still only about 15% of my listeners.

As has been mentioned above, both Spotify and Soundcloud are used primarily as music streaming services, and to list your music on it as music, many go through separate services to get listed just like the folks from the big record labels etc.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-30-2019, 08:07 AM

Thanks Mike.....very helpful! With nearly all originals, seemed like a fun next step would be to experiment a little to see and learn more. A couple of bucks arriving would also be fun, but that's not the whole idea with this.
I appreciate the advice!!
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-

Old 04-30-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I distribute a regular audio piece, usually less than 5 minutes, consisting of original music and (almost always) someone else's words. I use the same listings and methods as podcasts, which are predominately now hour long interviews, audio documentaries or folks yakking about their interests.

I consider it counter-programming, but I know I'm also going against the tide there in the podcast world. Over the three years my stuff was once primarily listened to via podcast services (Apple podcasts, et al) and now is increasing listened to via a player on my blog.

A few years back I tried to sign up to use Soundcloud to stream my podcast. My memory was that I couldn't get their sign up for that level of their service to work, so while I have a Soundcloud account, I rarely use it. As a musician's tool it has a reputation a being strong on rap/hip hop discovery.

Spotify was easy to sign up for podcast distribution and reliable. Alas, they are not a great podcast listening platform in that you can't really queue up podcasts in a playlist manner (yes, podcast makers and listener remind them regularly that would be good to add). I assume I get some discovery via Spotify because of the large number of subscribers, but it's still only about 15% of my listeners.

As has been mentioned above, both Spotify and Soundcloud are used primarily as music streaming services, and to list your music on it as music, many go through separate services to get listed just like the folks from the big record labels etc.
PART TWO (I had to leave as I was posting....)

OK, now the big factor. None of these services create tons of listeners just because you exist on them. Yes, there's some look around and see what I can find discovery that happens, but it's small. In my case, as poor self-promoter, most of my listeners happen via web search discovery and because I'm in a niche (poetry, often by well-known writers) that is rare enough that those that are interested seek it out.

So let's say you sign up for CDBaby or one of the other services that will get your music on iTunes, Spotify, and so on. Assuming you have a local live following, or a good sized group of family and friends who find your work worthwhile, and you have the money to spare for the fees, it may be worth it. If you don't have that built in core of listeners, working very hard at "networking" online can "grow" them. You'll need to spend more time on that than creating the music though.

All of this may be things you already know. I just want to get across to you in case you don't or to others who may read the thread, that just being on Spotify or Soundcloud or streaming service x y or z gains very few listeners just by itself.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

None of these things will make money (oh maybe three or four thousand dollars if you get a million streams), usually a net loss if there are upfront fees.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-30-2019, 06:11 PM

Thank you, Frank and Derek!

Much appreciate the info. I logged into and created a CDBay account so we'll see where that goes. As Mike had mentioned they were in the midst of a sale.....felt like I'd give it a whirl.
I do have an array of folks who follow me, along with family, so there's a little base there through my CD's in recent years. I often find that few have a CD player, except in their car...not the best for listening! And even now many cars don't have players!
No huge expectations on making dollars......a few bucks would be fun, but that's secondary to other factors and would be a small bonus if it does occur.
Many thanks for the tips and insight.
Regards,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN