The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:22 PM

I'm excited to see the single 0 and the Pear guitars complete. They looked awesome a couple of weeks ago when I was at your shop. I enjoy seeing your guitars come to life and its always fun to hang out and chat for a while. Keep up the good work. Good luck on the concert Thursday.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Welcome to the Forum, John. Be careful, some find it addictive.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:44 AM

Im always anxious to hear what you have to say but most people dont budget time to look at the custom page. I wish you had articles on your page that reflect what you build. Things like your theory about bridges, the upper bout, plate thickness, the relationship of the bridge to the X brace, the interaction of the back and top etc. If your had a book that wasnt just a bio Id get one.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have nearly completely written the book you would like to buy, but I am bogged down in the editing and the rest of the follow through that is involved in the publishing, even if it is just to be an EPUB, as I intend. I do have an area in my website for shorter articles and it would be relatively unchallenging to get a few of the pertinent section on my writing project cut and pasted into there. Maybe I will . . . Some of the more insightful ideas I have put out there re guitar concept and design seem less important to me than they once did. It's not that they don't have value in "our" world, it's more that they pale in comparison to the bigger issues that are capturing my attention, not to change the subject.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

The Limbe is assembled and fretted. I just finished making the bridge which is pictured here. Can't glue it on today though as I am off to the dress rehearsal for tomorrow performance. Like the trim, this is Amazon (D. spruceana, weighs 30.2g):

Old 05-31-2014, 03:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Limba's done!

I finished my Limba guitar today and took the pictures to document it for posterity. Here's a link to the page I made for my site if you'd like to see it.

And one picture to tease you:

At the risk of exhibiting questionable taste, I would like to mention that this guitar is available and, in the perspective of my work, it is relatively affordable. If you feel you have to ask if it's any good, you haven't been paying attention!
Old 05-31-2014, 08:48 PM

Love the headstock, sans truss rod cover-- and the black tuners. What kind of wood is that overlay?

As always Thanks for sharing
Old 06-01-2014, 10:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have hundreds of head stock overlay blanks all stacked in rows like a record collection. There was a time when I had certainty (doesn't mean I was right) about what was what. At this point they have been shuffled enough that I have to reassess whatever I pull out and assign a species to it. This headstock is most certainly either Honduran RW, Madagascar RW, Brazilian RW, Amazon RW, or Cocobolo. Definitely not Koa, Maple, or Ebony. I chose it for its low key look, as I did the bridge. The bridge, by the way, is not the one I showed a few posts back, I made another.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Wow ... what a stunning instrument ... love it!!!
Old 06-01-2014, 03:41 PM

Really nice how simplicity (as compared to all the wonderful work seen here) can look so elegant. The beautiful wood speaks for itself.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the qualified kind word, guys, it means a lot to me.

This isn't my next guitar, it's the one after that. But I have had to make sure I could get a back out of the wood the customer/partner supplied before I committed, and the only way to be absolutely certain is to go ahead and glue it up. This is four pieces, as you probably can see.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 06-02-2014 at 05:59 PM. Reason: edited to acknowledge D. Wren and Printer, too
Old 06-03-2014, 08:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here is a shot of wood I AM about to build with. This will be yet another FT-0-JB/2, my single 0 with mild MultiScale and a side port. The sides are wide enough that the worm holes will not be in play. Please do not make me tell you what kind of wood this is. You already know.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

That is some really lovely straight grain oak.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

My type-o-woodset...very nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Here is a shot of wood I AM about to build with. This will be yet another FT-0-JB/2, my single 0 with mild MultiScale and a side port. The sides are wide enough that the worm holes will not be in play. Please do not make me tell you what kind of wood this is. You already know.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:30 PM

Hola Bruce,
That is wonderful looking brownwood, but I've got to ask, what is that blackwood your customer provided?
The Limba turned out great.
Cheers, berf
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop