The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 10-06-2018, 06:04 AM

Default Saw Tommy Emmanuel last week...

and here’s where I sat. I work with words for a living, but sometimes words fail. Small venue (holds about 120), nothing to get in the way of the music. There were times I was within three feet of his fretboard and I didn’t pay any more than it cost to hear him from the balcony of another venue 2 years ago. Humbled and grateful for such an amazing opportunity-not sure I’ll ever have another concert experience that can match it. So, I thought I’d share with some folks who might appreciate and share the joy [emoji3]. IMG_3347.jpg
Old 10-06-2018, 06:06 AM

Did he play that 335 leaning up against the back?
Nick
Old 10-06-2018, 06:19 AM

[QUOTE=nickv6;5855628]Did he play that 335 leaning up against the back

Jack Pearson, who opened for him, played it on a few duets with TE.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:07 AM

I have aeen him several times, including one time in a similarly small venue (McCabe’s) as a “pop-up concert that was not advertised. There were less than 30 of us there. I absolutely agree - what an incredible experience!
Old 10-06-2018, 07:50 AM

You’re local! The Down Home is a great place for a show, super intimate. Couldn’t swing TE on a weeknight though with work the way it is right now.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Hi JimmyJeff1!

Glad you got to see Tommy up close! I have also had that experience a few times and it's pretty amazing.

Once my wife and I spent a couple of hours sitting with Tommy in an airport waiting for a plane. I got a private guitar lesson, he got recommendations for books for his daughter's birthday from my school teacher wife. And Tommy is fun to be around.

This is a thread I started on the experience.

- Glenn
Old 10-06-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi JimmyJeff1!

Glad you got to see Tommy up close! I have also had that experience a few times and it's pretty amazing.

Once my wife and I spent a couple of hours sitting with Tommy in an airport waiting for a plane. I got a private guitar lesson, he got recommendations for books for his daughter's birthday from my school teacher wife. And Tommy is fun to be around.

This is a thread I started on the experience.

- Glenn
Glenn, I read that thread back in my earlier days as a lurker on AGF. It was what
initially got my interested in TE and his music. His respect for other artists/his opening acts/other genres and cultures and his desire to serve the audience and the song with every note he plays are what really connected with me. His mindset is almost pastoral. I’ve heard and seen a number of phenomenal artists, but these other aspects are what I find particularly compelling about TE. So, I owe you a debt of gratitude for posting that thread! JJ1
Old 10-06-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickv6 View Post
Did he play that 335 leaning up against the back?
Nick
The one looking for a bit of gravity or a slight bump to send it crashing?
Old 10-08-2018, 10:17 PM

My lead guitarist saw him live a couple years ago and came out of that concert a changed man. He wanted to sell all his gear and go all Tommy on us, which was cool with me. I mean, the man’s a bloody genius and the consummate performer. I’ve seen video of him wailing on a Telecaster with a young rock band and he smoked those kids — in a good way! They enjoyed it as much as their audience, maybe more.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN