The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-05-2015, 12:25 PM

Default Bending ebony binding

Hello all!

I am in the process of finishing a dreadnought kit and have decided to use ebony as the binding.

I have order the ebony from Stewart McDonald and so far it has proven to be more difficult than I expected.

I knew it would be challenging but it's more difficult than expected.

I have soaked it for 10 minutes and was using an electric teardrop shaped iron.

Any suggestions on a more effective method? I have one done and have broken two others. (I spent about 4 hours on these three pieces... Trying to go slow and not force it)

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 02-05-2015, 12:35 PM

Hi Jeff,
Welcome to the AGF !!
You might get better results if you posted your question over in the build and repair section.
Sorry I don't have an answer for you...

Mike

Michael Hedges
Old 02-05-2015, 01:16 PM

Jeff,

Here's my method and I've had good success with it, pretty simple really. First, thin to around .060. Lightly spritz with water, not too much, and wrap with parchment paper, then foil. I'm using a Fox bender, but it can be done by hand without the parchment/foil and using a metal strap as a backer. I use relatively high heat, somewhere in the 350 degree range. Then proceed just as you would with sides, bending the waist first, then the lower and upper bouts.

Ebony is a little stubborn sometimes likes to fracture. Some builders use SuperSoft, but I've never had to using this method. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:19 PM

Your iron isn't hot enough. No need to soak them, just a surface spray of water is fine.

Also, taping all of the bindings together and bending them as a unit makes them less prone to breakage.

Wood selection is also important. Use wood, of any type, with minimal runout to avoid breakage.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Caldwell View Post
Jeff,

Here's my method and I've had good success with it, pretty simple really. First, thin to around .060.

Ebony is a little stubborn sometimes likes to fracture. Some builders use SuperSoft, but I've never had to using this method. Good luck.
I have done ebony bindings of 2.0mm thick (just shy of .080"). Yes, it is more of a challenge to bend than Indian Rosewood, for example. I bend by hand on a hot iron, and like Jimmy, have never used anything other than water. It is stubborn and you have to go slowly and use enough heat. FWIW, I bend one piece at a time with an electric iron.

Although it is certainly possible, I would definitely not recommend using ebony bindings for 1st time bending bindings, and having an extra couple sticks is not a bad idea.

Good luck!

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 02-05-2015, 02:59 PM

I think you should just give up and give that kit back to whoever gave it to you. It probably didn't even have all the right parts in it anyway.

Last edited by RedJoker; 02-05-2015 at 03:06 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
binding, ebony