The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-13-2023, 12:22 AM

Default Heel Block gluing- 1979 FG151B (1979)

Test Post, having difficulties with resetting password after having written a lengthy thread
Old 09-13-2023, 12:39 AM

OK, Im in again.

I am about to reglue in the subject guitar's neck block. It separated and fell backwards into the body during a neck removal procedure using steam etc. Never had that happen before.
The neck appears to have been removed before in its life.

The neck block appears to have not been glued to the back or top, and it separated along one of its own ply glue lines near the neck pocket end.

I will glue it back to its own separated vertical surface at the back of the dovetail joint, and would like to also glue the bottom and top of the heel block to the back and top of the guitar body.

However, while the bottom of the heel block is flat and will glue well to the back of the body, the top of the heel block has 2 x 18mm long x 3mm projections that will prevent it gluing well to the top and also to the bottom of the fretboard extension. See photos.

Does anyone know why the top of the block is thus, and why the heel block appears to have not be glued top and bottom ? And, should I be gluing it there anyway ?

Last edited by donnyb; 09-13-2023 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-13-2023, 12:41 AM

https://i.imgur.com/fVyd3Ekh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JadESr3h.jpg
Old 09-14-2023, 11:26 PM

I've had advice outside of this forum from a Luthier with experience in body construction for this Yamaha FG.

Short answer is that the top, bottom and front face of the heel block are all meant to be glued to the body, to tie it all together.

So I made a shim and glued it onto the top surface of the heel block to make it level across its entire surface. I have now just glued the heel block into the body on those 3 faces referred to above.

Leaving it 24 hours and then hopefully, continuing on with the neck reset angle work.

Thankyou for reading. Cheers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair