The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-22-2021, 04:49 PM

Default Auditioning for a show band

I've been approached to audition for a show band playing contemporary country rock as male lead vocalist and rhythm acoustic guitar.
It will be a 7 piece band with 2 x lead guitars, one of which also plays Dobro and Mandolin, Bass guitar, an Electric Violinist who also plays Keyboard, and drums. There is also a female lead vocalist who will be sharing the songs. 4 of the band members do harmonies as well.
The guys heading this up are professional musicians, and I already feel like the weak link, so I'm really getting nervous about this audition.
Yes, I perform regularly around the area in cafes, breweries and markets with an easy listening, background style of music that is a mix of contemporary country and pop ballads etc, but I'm not a showman by any stretch of the imagination. I'll be expected to be the leader of the band with showmanship to go with it.
Has anyone got advice on what happens at these kinds of things, or how best to prepare.
I've been working on 4 or 5 of the songs I'm expected to sing, and while I'm familiar with a number of them, some are brand new, so the learning curve has been pretty steep, not to mention some of these songs are knocking on the limit of my vocal range.
There are songs from Phil Vasser, Brad Paisley, Blue County, Keith Urban & Lonestar, while the female led songs are from Sugarland, Carrie Underwood, Little Big Town & Shania Twain.
This is going to be interesting, but the nerves will no doubt continue to fester over the next couple of days before the audition on Saturday.
Fingers crossed!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 02-22-2021, 05:01 PM

If you were approached it seems to me that parties concerned are familiar with your abilities, and on that basis alone I wouldn't be too apprehensive: relax, stay loose, do what you're going to do, and let the chips fall where they may - worst case scenario is that you chalk it off to experience and have a better idea of how to approach the next audition...

Best of luck...
Old 02-22-2021, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Good luck. It sounds very exciting. Do your best and I hope you nail it.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 02-22-2021, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Sounds great... wishing you the best of luck!
Old 02-22-2021, 07:16 PM

Sounds like fun. I don’t have any tips for you, however. Just relax and enjoy the experience I guess. If you get nervous just visualize everyone in their underwear or something like that.

Good luck!
Old 02-22-2021, 08:21 PM

I took some voice lessons from Pollyanna Bush. www.Pollyannabush.com. She gave me some simple breathing exercises to do for 10 or 15 minutes before singing. No other warm ups required, according to her. They help to relax the muscles in the midsection and around ribs. They help you to relax too. Both supper you in singing your best. You might see if you could get a quick consult with her. If not, just get some good aerobic activity earlier in the day of your audition.

Enjoy!!!!
Old 02-22-2021, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Sounds cool, wish u the best!
Old 02-22-2021, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Wow, fantastic just to be asked. Great experience no matter how it turns out, all the best to you, congrats!!!
Old 02-23-2021, 12:28 AM
Charter Member

Hi Zandit,

As others have suggested, if they are asking you to audition, it has to be because they believe you could pull this off.

My own experience -- probably yours, too -- when preparing for an audition like this is to be very well prepaid, very well rehearsed. My way of dealing with nerves is to be so well prepared that it's much harder to mess up. Also, the more you are rehearsed, the better shape your voice will be in. Regular singing keeps your vocal cords exercised and in better control.

Being super well prepared not only shows that you are taking the audition seriously, but also implies that you will be a reliable member of the group on the road. They want someone they can count on, so show them you're the right man for this job.

I would generally say that a good vocal warmup helps, but Rich has made some suggestions of breathing exercises that I am not familiar with and that approach could be very helpful, as well.

Best of luck! This could be very cool for you, but if it doesn't work out, don't take it too hard. Sometimes it's not just good timing, but a certain amount of luck about how you fit into their ideas of who they want. Preparation always helps immensely, as I'm sure you know.

- Glenn
Old 02-23-2021, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
I've been approached to audition for a show band !!
You're in Australia, does "show band" there mean approximately what it does in Ireland?

It's not a term that's in common usage in the US, is why I ask.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:35 PM

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate your comments, it certainly helps with the nerves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
You're in Australia, does "show band" there mean approximately what it does in Ireland?

I'm probably not the best person to ask this, as I'm still not fully informed on what the plan is.
My basic understanding is that we will be performing at corporate events, possibly major public events(NYE celebrations etc), and perhaps the occasional showcase type of event to really show what we're capable of.
I've been told that it is only 2 x 50min sets, and that's it, we're done. Whether some of the songs will get rotated, or it's the exact same sets at each event is another question entirely.
There seems to be a lot of call for this type of group, but no one is providing the service, at least not here in Tassie.
The core group has been trying to get this off the ground for several years now, but it hasn't quite happened for the yet. Some members have had changes in circumstances, or conflicts in schedules where the commitment to the band has not been the priority for some people.
There were two names mentioned to me that didn't work out for the lead position, and they are very well known local singers mostly doing solo and small group playouts, with very busy schedules. I don't think they could make the commitment. I'm feeling very lucky to be considered within this company!
Thanks again everyone!
Old 02-23-2021, 05:04 PM

Good on ya! If you're expected to "be the leader of the band" they must have seen this quality in you already, so you're ahead of the curve. So, do what you normally do, be prepared like Glenn said, and enjoy the experience! Remember, they need you!
Old 02-23-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post

Show band is not uncommon in the U.S. The club where I used to work had show bands all the time. Horns, multiple singers, sparkly costumes and a wide variety of music.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 02-23-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
Show band is not uncommon in the U.S. The club where I used to work had show bands all the time. Horns, multiple singers, sparkly costumes and a wide variety of music.
Being contemporary country, I hope there's not too much of the sparkly stuff going on!!
Old 02-23-2021, 05:43 PM

I should have included this in the first post, but to put a bit more of relevance to my "skills" here is my YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr_...-pXTlD5KaPcJvw

As mentioned, I normally provide a laid back, easy listening performance, so changing it up to do songs like Phil Vasser's "I'll take that as a yes" & "Athens Grease", Brad Paisley's "Sharp Dressed Man" & "American Saturday Night" is going to be well outside my usual safe place!!

Comments are always welcome!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write