The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-18-2020, 05:21 PM

Default New Guitar Day Cordoba Fushion 5 Crossover

Hi all,
I picked up my new Cordoba Fusion 5 crossover Guitar today. This is a new model for Cordoba
-mahogany back and sides, spruce top
-12 fret with cut away
- 48mm nut width
I was looking for a nylon to compliment my steel string, a Seagull all Mahogany Burst concert Hall.

A couple of questions
1. The Cordoba is much lighter. The body is slightly smaller but is the bracing in nylon different as well?
2. The action on my Seagull is quite low, The Cordoba is higher but playable. Is it advisable to have the action higher on the nylon?

Looking forward to the weekend
Old 12-19-2020, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations! That sounds like a lovely guitar. HERE's the thread on how to post pics.

I don't want my classical to have higher action than my steel... I keep them both pretty low. Hope you enjoy it.
Old 12-20-2020, 06:06 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Nice, congrats!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-21-2020, 02:43 AM

Default Different bracing...

Most nylon string guitars use a variation of Torres’ fan bracing although some crossover instruments from steel-string makers employ a lighter version of the traditional X-brace. My understanding is that Cordoba guitars use traditional fan bracing.

Fan bracing usually makes for a lighter and more responsive instrument, particularly when coupled with a thinner soundboard. The tension on nylon strings is typically around 60% of a light gauge steel string set. This reduced tension means the strings can have more amplitude when plucked and a higher action is required. Standard setup on a classical guitar is 4mm on the low-E to 3mm on the high-E. This balances playability without restricting how loud you can play. A fairly standard steel-string action is 2.5mm to 2.0mm low-E to high-E. This simply won’t work on a nylon string instrument for the majority of pieces.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikpearson View Post
The tension on nylon strings is typically around 60% of a light gauge steel string set. This reduced tension means the strings can have more amplitude when plucked and a higher action is required. Standard setup on a classical guitar is 4mm on the low-E to 3mm on the high-E. This balances playability without restricting how loud you can play. A fairly standard steel-string action is 2.5mm to 2.0mm low-E to high-E. This simply won’t work on a nylon string instrument for the majority of pieces.
Agreed. I have a Fusion 12 (Maple). Wonder what the differences from the "5" are.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical