The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-14-2020, 05:36 PM

Default Jazz TapeWounds for Hollowbody: Tension Comparison

I have a 7 string hollowbody and thinking about string guages and tension.
With the Low B I am not wanting to put too much tension on the top.

Does anyone have knowledge or experience with Tapewounds and their comparative tension.
I suppose matching the guages to the instrument response is the short answer and longer search.
I was initially looking at La Bella Jazz tapes 14-67 though I don't typically play 14's but 12's or 13's (which I could switch out the 2 plain strings.
Thanks for any insights!
Old 04-21-2020, 04:21 AM

A wound string's tension comes from the diameter of the inner core wire, so you can get low tension strings (I've used Newtone) with a thin inner core and double windings to get the gauge. They play very nicely and sound great. A seven string guitar is designed for the tension of typical sets, so I wouldn't worry about it at all, look at 12 string guitars - they have what to me is insane tension and they hold up fine. The biggest issue you will have with the big gauge set is adjusting the nut slots to fit, and getting the intonation right. Big strings often need a lot of compensation. You can also tune down a full step, that takes around 15% off the tension of a typical set. You'd be amazed at how many players tune down a step. Finally - when I played 7 string I used a low A string, less string needed to tune to that pitch and not get all floppy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops