The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-26-2021, 07:22 PM

It's here and in my hands!!! Picked it up yesterday at Nick's shop. Wow.... All I can say is that it is stunning. Truly amazing. Not only is it beautiful, the sound is everything I could ask for. Deep, rich reverby bass, warm mids and sweet trebles with superb balance. I can dig into it and it gives a nice punch and attack. Or play it lightly and it just sounds sweet and warm and still well defined and rich. It doesn't thin out. And the playability is great. We were going to string it up with 11's, but the 12's Nick had on it sounded and played so nice I decided to just stick with them. Taking a bit to get used to, but not that much.

Anyways, here's a few pics of it. Thanks to all for their interest, support and advice.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Stunning really. Just stunning. Congrats.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 04-26-2021, 07:49 PM

Wow! That turned out beautifully! I really like the contrast of the maple bindings on the body, and the way the maple bindings on the fingerboard are continued around the headstock. It's simple and somehow ornate at the same time! I am glad to hear that Nick delivered what you were seeking, he is building amazing guitars. Happy playing!
Old 04-26-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhw48 View Post
Wow! That turned out beautifully! I really like the contrast of the maple bindings on the body, and the way the maple bindings on the fingerboard are continued around the headstock. It's simple and somehow ornate at the same time! I am glad to hear that Nick delivered what you were seeking, he is building amazing guitars. Happy playing!
Thank you! Yes... The fingerboard binding and purfling match up exactly with the headstock. Nick says he loves that headstock design and he's going to refine it and add it as an option. What doesn't come out in the photos, is that in the right light, the back has those subtle greenish hues in the darker areas you get from Brazilian. Agreed... Nick is making amazing guitars right now. It has way more depth and complexity than my 23 year old Collings which Nick actually praised as a very good guitar. Worlds of difference between the two.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:14 PM

That's a stunner. Some of the custom builds are a bit "flashy" more my taste, but that one is really, really nice. Congratulations.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:51 PM

Beautiful.It`s been a pleasure to follow the two recent Franklin builds here on AGF.Such gorgeous guitars.Congratulations.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:19 AM
Charter Member

Congrats...
Old 04-27-2021, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkyplayer View Post
That's a stunner. Some of the custom builds are a bit "flashy" more my taste, but that one is really, really nice. Congratulations.
Thank you! I'm with you. I'm not into showy guitars. I appreciate the work and skill that go into them, but I prefer simplicity with a bit of elegance. And I feel Nick totally delivered on that with my guitar.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Congrats...
Thank you! I remember following your Cuban Mahogany build which was gorgeous! I actually considered Nick's Mahogany just from your build and Nick said, "My mahagony guitars don't sound like typical guitars built with it." Which I believe. How's your's sounding these days?
Old 04-27-2021, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Mission success...!!! Love it.... i dig the clean no pick guard look, mine already had one on, is what it is, but if I ever order one I'll definitely follow you... break her in, enjoy...
Old 04-28-2021, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mykey View Post
Thank you! I remember following your Cuban Mahogany build which was gorgeous! I actually considered Nick's Mahogany just from your build and Nick said, "My mahagony guitars don't sound like typical guitars built with it." Which I believe. How's your's sounding these days?
My Franklin OMC is now about 2-years old (play wise), but the German Spruce set that Nick used had a resaw date of January 1968 (53-years old) and back then for wood in Germany to be considered "tonewood" it needed to be at least 10-years old in order to sell it (so it could have been felled in the 1950s!). So as a "new" guitar it had a bit of a head start .

My OMC is a WONDERFUL guitar having an articulate bass, strong mids, clear trebles. Due to the German Spruce top set and dense Cuban Mahogany it exhibits a bit more sparkle and complexity than most mahogany instruments. It is becoming an "old friend".
Old 04-28-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Mission success...!!! Love it.... i dig the clean no pick guard look, mine already had one on, is what it is, but if I ever order one I'll definitely follow you... break her in, enjoy...
The clean, pick guard-less look is really nice. I thought about doing the same with my Jumbo, but when I suggested it to Nick he said "Sure, if you never touch the top with your fingernails!" Since you got to sit down and play in front of Nick, you must have inspired his confidence! (And he was right about me -- how did he know? -- I occasionally touch the pick guard when I play...)

Last edited by mhw48; 04-28-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhw48 View Post
The clean, pick guard-less look is really nice. I thought about doing the same with my Jumbo, but when I suggested it to Nick he said "Sure, if you never touch the top with your fingernails!" Since you got to sit down and play in front of Nick, you must have inspired his confidence! (And he was right about me -- how did he know? -- I occasionally touch the pick guard when I play...)
Lol... He said the same to me. I do occasionally slip up and touch the top with my nails, but it's fairly rare. And my '98 Collings doesn't have one and there's minimal marking on the top. Nothing close to looking like "Trigger"... Willie Nelson's guitar!!!

Last edited by 4mykey; 04-28-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
My Franklin OMC is now about 2-years old (play wise), but the German Spruce set that Nick used had a resaw date of January 1968 (53-years old) and back then for wood in Germany to be considered "tonewood" it needed to be at least 10-years old in order to sell it (so it could have been felled in the 1950s!). So as a "new" guitar it had a bit of a head start .

My OMC is a WONDERFUL guitar having an articulate bass, strong mids, clear trebles. Due to the German Spruce top set and dense Cuban Mahogany it exhibits a bit more sparkle and complexity than most mahogany instruments. It is becoming an "old friend".
Right... Nick said the same thing to me about my German top. The date on mine was 1970 same with the Brazilian Rosewood.

So glad to hear you love that guitar. It really is stunning visually. Nick's guitars are something special indeed!
Old 04-28-2021, 08:49 PM

Big time congrats!!!!

I've been waiting to see this unfold!!!!

I think it's even better that you get to pick up the guitar directly.

I've got a burning desire for a Franklin of my own, but my war chest is depleted. I will have to vicariously live through you!!!!!

Play that beauty in good health!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop