The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-27-2018, 05:39 PM

Default NGD Soon RainSong CO-PA1100NS

Just ordered this a few minutes ago from Ted at LAGS. All this Emerald talk made me start to crave a RainSong Parlor with more bling. I wrote the following last week about my CH-PA1100NS and thought after dropping a ton of cash on my kids, maybe something for me too... Pictures to follow next week. I'm saving the Anthem SL for the new guitar.

"I've had mine for 16 months. It has become my only guitar (an experiment I've thought about for years). It projects well enough for pure acoustic duo practices against his various Martins and Taylor. It sound wonderful in my fairly live living room. I've brought it to more than a few parties and it accompanies my voice perfectly. The cut-away lets me do all the rock and roll licks a 14 fret neck previously required (and a few more). Plugged-in it is a pleasure to gig with in those restaurant situations where a corner 4-top is pulled to place a duo and all our stuff. I just ordered an Anthem SL to see if that steps up the plugged-in tone, though I'm not unhappy with the Element I'm currently using. This guitar has flown quite a bit in a TKL parlor case which is a fairly snug fit. I like that it does not draw the ire of a dreadnought on an airplane but will withstand the wheelie assault from people who can't see or don't care what is already overhead (with today's deconstructed airline ticket pricing I always buy early boarding). I think with other guitars in its size class it is a clear winner. What surprised me was how well it holds up against larger instruments.

Add in I tune it once at the start of a three set gig and never have to tune it again. And it once blew off a chair onto a concrete floor with no damage!"
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-27-2018, 06:47 PM
Guest 928

Jon;

At the prompting of JR and Michael, I purchased a Rainsong Parlor, 12 fret nylon string guitar. It is an incredible instrument.

I am in the process of weeding my guitar garden and have been playing the RS against the X1O. I'm trying to get it down to one or two guitars and I may end up with the Rainsong Parlor and the Emerald slim line X10-OSN electric.

Comparing the RS with the 10 is difficult. The 10 offers a much higher fret reach and has a strong tonal presence. The RS has an openness that comes very close to a classical nylon string guitar. This decision making is hard work.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:38 PM

I like it. Maybe I'm odd, but with a Rainsong I prefer either the full blinged out sharks and abalone rosette, or go the complete other direction as per the fully blacked out CH-PA.

Never been a fan of the aesthetics of the middle of the road ones with dot markers and white rosette.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-28-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
I like it. Maybe I'm odd, but with a Rainsong I prefer either the full blinged out sharks and abalone rosette, or go the complete other direction as per the fully blacked out CH-PA.

Never been a fan of the aesthetics of the middle of the road ones with dot markers and white rosette.
I love the bling! That's why I pushed for the customization on the RS Shorty, yep and I love my limited edition!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-28-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindness View Post
I love the bling! That's why I pushed for the customization on the RS Shorty, yep and I love my limited edition!
This one gets attention:

Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-29-2018, 03:34 PM

Those parlors are the biggest sound out of the most compact body. And with the uni top, it'll sound quite a bit larger than it's size. Plus, super comfortable to play! Be sure to show us pix when it arrives.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
Be sure to show us pix when it arrives.
Yes, and it is mandatory .
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-01-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
This one gets attention:

Wow! That's a beauty, and it's saying Play me!!!!!!
Great looking Rainsong!
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 12-06-2018, 06:58 PM

The new Concert Series RainSong showed up yesterday. Ted at LA Guitar Sales does a great job stocking the RainSongs I want that don't appear on the standard price list. Given it is strung with 80/20 Elixir 12s and my CH-PA is strung with PB Elixir 10s, it is a little hard to do a fair comparison, but I think they will be very much the same with similar strings of the same vintage. RainSong has really got their cosmetics to a very high level and there is no opaque finish (the RainSong way for the most part) and all the carbon weave is very neat. The sharks and Ablam soundhole decoration look great. Here are two pictures (I've already got one of my static cling pickguards on the new guitar):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sT6...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/155w...ew?usp=sharing

On the down side, the new guitar came with a Access Stage 3 case which looks to be large enough to hold a dreadnought depth Martin 0 size guitar (if such a beast actually exists). It is about an inch larger in length, width, and depth compared to the TKL case I bought for the CH-PA. Weight wise the two cases are identical. The Gator GWE-3/4-Acou case is the best deal out there and maybe a little more than an inch shorter than the TKL. Previously posted pictures:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18RF...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SR5...ew?usp=sharing

The factory action is 7/64" and 5/64" low/high E at the 12th fret. The relief, alignment of the fret board extension, and saddle height at the bridge all look great. Left to do is:

- Install Baggs Anthem SL
- Lower action to 3/32" and 2/32", low/high E, 12th fret
- Install no clip D'Addario tuner
- Replace metal tuner buttons with black plastic
- Change strings to Elixir PB 10s (heresy!)

I'll probably let it stay as is until the factory strings start to lose it.

Jon Fields
Old 12-06-2018, 07:08 PM

Jonfield, you play with 10s, huh? How is the projection? I am thinking of going with Martin Retro custom 11s for a switch from the Elixir 12s?

Has anyone here noticed a projection difference with their guitars when going with 10s or 11s? Just curious!

That is one gorgeous guitar! And Yes, Ted does stock a lot of Rainsongs. I would love the get that 12 fret parlor.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 12-06-2018, 07:10 PM
Guest 928

Jon;

Congratulations on your new, beautiful guitar. You clearly know what you want and I hope this guitar is it. enjoy.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindness View Post
Jonfield, you play with 10s, huh? How is the projection?
To my ear quite a bit different, but I played them for my duo partner today and he thought they sound quite close. I let my amp do the heavy lifting and want the strings my R&R roots require :~). If you don't strike them hard, they are pretty similar. The 12s can take an aggressive attack and produce more head room.

Some time back I bought a Katana Mini which is marketed for electric guitar. It must weigh about a pound. The built in delay does a decent ambiance and if you turn up the bass control with the clean setting selected it is a good acoustic guitar amp. I have a lithium rechargeable battery Velcro'ed to the side of it instead of using the AA batteries for which it was designed. Here is a picture before I determined the best control settings:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I1S...ew?usp=sharing

Jon Fields
Old 12-06-2018, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new RainSong, Jon - I do like the sharks! Enjoy!
Old 12-08-2018, 05:33 AM

Lost my nerve to cut into my new RainSong. I sent the Anthem SL back to MF and ordered a Fishman Rare Earth Active Humbucker. As a backup it makes sense to have it in my gig bag for all my duo's guitars and if I have to plug-in the new one it's a quick temporary install.

The surgery to lower the action, install plastic tuner buttons, and install the clip free tuner is scheduled for this afternoon :~).

I also ordered another TKL 8975 case. The RainSong/Access case is now in the RainSong shipping box on a shelf in my basement. I called 8th Street Music and got a great price (as I did with the first one).

Jon Fields
Old 12-08-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
The surgery to lower the action, install plastic tuner buttons, and install the clip free tuner is scheduled for this afternoon :~).

Hope it all works out well and it has a quick recovery..
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber