The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-14-2022, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Schertler Bluestick pickup question

Hi All,
I just picked up a nice used guitar with a Schertler Bluestick pickup in it. This is an under-saddle pickup that is not the normal piezo technology, but is instead a very small air chamber that acts like a microphone ( if I understand it correctly.)
This is new to me, mostly I use K&K contact pickups. When I bought the guitar I was not even aware it had a pickup in it! (Silly, I know, but I was focused on other things)
While it has a very nice loud signal, it is very uneven from string to string, which may be due to imperfect installation. This and the fact that it uses batteries makes me never want to rely on it as an amplified guitar.
Ok, my question, finally! Will removing the pickup possibly improve its acoustic sound? Seems to me that removing an obstacle under the saddle can only help the vibrations travel better from strings to top.
I could leave it as is for some future pickup user, or remove it to satisfy my curiosity about this.
Any comments welcome. The guitar is a ‘92 Santa Cruz FS model, cedar and EIR.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

The Bluestick was kind of notorious for string balance issues. It requires more attention during installation, from what I understand. Whether removing it will improve your tone is a subject for debate. Some people can hear a difference with a material in the middle of the transmission, others don't. If there is a change, you could even, in theory, prefer the sound with the pickup in - or not - everyone's taste in tone is different. My personal guess is that removing it may help, especially if the pickup isn't fitted correctly, as indicated by the string balance issues. Should be not too hard to take it out with out damaging anything and see what you hear. You should always be able to put it back in. You'll probably need a new saddle or a shim, since taking it out will lower your action.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification