The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-06-2022, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Two NGD: Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus & Enya Nova Go

Okay, I won't belabor this posting as there's likely little interest in Enya brand carbon-composite guitars but I feel there should be if a player is looking for quality carbon-composite guitars at shockingly low prices! These axes are Chinese-made and aside from my disappointing first Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus being what I now feel was a previous return due to its less-than-orderly packaging and a couple of other issues compared to my replacement, I feel Enya guitars represent an astonishing value.

OOBE: I love the presentation of these guitars, everything from the shipping box, to the inner box (Enya Nova Go), their packaging, and their cases. Memo To The Big Guys: Encase your mid-priced guitars in cases a la Enya instead of the flimsy hard-shell cases and gig bags you now stick your customers with!

Setup: Both guitars, including my returned guitar, came with a fairly high neck relief and action height. The guitars come with a truss rod wrench and neck relief adjustment to .005 inches or so is easy and will also lower the action (you know what I mean) a nice amount and make these guitars quite playable as is. Reducing the action height more can be done by sanding the TUSQ saddles a bit until you get the action you want. Hey, this guitar even has a cantilevered fingerboard over the top like a McPherson guitar!

Tone: Acoustic - the Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus has a nice bassy and full acoustic tone. It can get bright when playing aggressively but there's nothing I can knock about a guitar for which I paid $799.99 (prices can vary depending on usage of a non-Amazon credit ($899.99) card and a new Amazon credit card (as low as $699.99) and any other offers of the moment. I got my Enya Nova Go (normally $199.99) for $139.99 with current sales offers, etc. The Enya Nova Go's acoustic tone is rather shallow due to its diminutive size but is okay for a couch/take anywhere travel-style guitar--Why would you buy a Martin Backpacker when you could have the Enya Nova Go for less money and have fewer durability worries, too?

Tone: Plugged In - The Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus is acoustic-electric and features the AcousticPlus preamp and effects system. Think Yamaha TransAcoustic and you know what the Enya system sounds like. The Reverb/Chorus/Delay effects can be dialed in separately or mixed in any ratio from Off, to subtle, to just right, to over the top! These effects can be used when playing acoustically only or when the guitar is plugged into a PA or amp. The pickup system has a UST and a Mic and can be mixed to taste. There's also a Tone control. This is an excellent-sounding system and would do a player well when playing out. It took about 3 hours to initially charge the onboard rechargeable battery via an Apple USB charger and I've had the guitar plugged in for a good 5 hours and the preamp's battery indicator light is still GREEN.

Soon, I'll post some sound files to demonstrate the Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus guitar's acoustic-electric properties. I'm thinking of using a Schatten Outsider pickup that I have to hear what the Enya Nova Go can sound like when amplified. Installing this pickup or any other inside this guitar could be difficult although I feel the permanent installation of a UST system could be the easiest to do.

Thanks for looking in and please post your questions and comments!

Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus Enya Nova Go

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 08-08-2022 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-06-2022, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Looks like a nice pair. And you sure can't be the price. It's amazing they can make the X4 with the transacousticy (word?) electronics for under $700 or $800. Do you think their system sounds about as nice as the Yamaha effects? I had an FS-TA for a while and really liked their implementation of reverb.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Okay, I won't belabor this posting as there's likely little interest in Enya brand carbon-composite guitars but I feel there should be if a player is looking for quality carbon-composite guitars at shockingly low prices! These axes are Chinese-made and aside from my disappointing first Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus being what I now feel was a previous return due to its less-than-orderly packaging and a couple of other issues compared to my replacement, I feel Enya guitars represent an astonishing value.
I think people are interested. I found 14 postings by AGFers who got Enya X3/X4s over the last two years, and this month there are postings about the Enya Go.

In the carbon fibre guitar market I think folks are looking for info on *good* lower cost guitars that are becoming available; compared to the *good* $1600-2000 Journey, KLOS and the *very good* $2500-3500 RainSong, Emerald, McPherson, CA that have been available for a couple decades. It's similar to the wood guitar market with *good* lower cost Yamaha, Seagull, Alvarez etc, compared to *very good* high cost Martin, Gibson, Taylor etc.

And some of us who own established brands may be asked by buddies about moderate cost versions. Heck, I've been looking at the $900 Enya X4 to take to places I don't want to take a more expensive guitar.

Please update more info as you get to know your Enya guitars.

Many thanks.
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany

Last edited by casualmusic; 08-07-2022 at 05:09 AM.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:37 AM

Default Questions about Enya X4 Pro

Quote:

Tone: Acoustic - the Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus has a nice bassy and full acoustic tone. It can get bright when playing aggressively but there's nothing I can knock about a guitar for which I paid $799.99
Tone: I'm interested on whether you think the X4 will hold its own at outdoor singalongs and at outdoor bluegrass song circles, and whether you'd use the same strings or other strings?

Reach: The X4 Pro neck is listed at 25 3/4", and the previous X4 was listed at 25.98", a bit longer than standard. No reviewers have commented on the reach. Is this because the waist looks closer to the nut than similar guitars? Can you comment about the distance from waist to nut on the X4 versus your other guitars?

Dimensions: For comparison to other guitars, it seems from Amazon Q+A that the sound box is approx 15 3/4" x 20" x 4 3/4" ?

Thanks.

Last edited by casualmusic; 08-07-2022 at 04:01 AM.
Old 08-07-2022, 02:12 AM

Quote:

OOBE: I love the presentation of these guitars, everything from the shipping box, to the inner box (Enya Nova Go), their packaging, and their cases.

... The Enya Nova Go's acoustic tone is rather shallow due to its diminutive size but is okay for a couch/take anywhere travel-style guitar--Why would you buy a Martin Backpacker when you could have the Enya Nova Go for less money and have fewer durability worries, too?

I'm guessing that the display box helps Asian music stores stack them into a attractive friendly piles of merchandise just begging to follow the customer home. Online video reviewers gush about that box.

On Wednesday an Enya Nova Go was brought to our outdoor ukulele song circle by the owner of an Enya Nova uke.

The Enya Go looks like a 7/8 Les Paul. Its sound box (11 1/2' x 15" x 3" with arch back) measured about 20-25% the size of a standard size guitar, and it sounds quiet. Weight is 59oz (3lb 9oz), compared to my bigger and much louder 63oz AC Cargo.

I played it with fingers for an hour, and want to play it again with a pick to clarify my thoughts. Was perplexed by the forward shifted waist and would play it using a strap for best comfort.

Interested in your thoughts on playability, strings and choice of pickup.

Cheers.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
Tone: I'm interested on whether you think the X4 will hold its own at outdoor singalongs and at outdoor bluegrass song circles, and whether you'd use the same strings or other strings?

Reach: The X4 Pro neck is listed at 25 3/4", and the previous X4 was listed at 25.98", a bit longer than standard. No reviewers have commented on the reach. Is this because the waist looks closer to the nut than similar guitars? Can you comment about the distance from waist to nut on the X4 versus your other guitars?

Dimensions: For comparison to other guitars, it seems from Amazon Q+A that the sound box is approx 15 3/4" x 20" x 4 3/4" ?

Thanks.
Hi CasualMusic,

I think the Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus would make a fine-toned guitar to play anywhere. It comes with Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze Light-Gauge strings which would be fine for most types of music. If going to a bluegrass jam it would be okay as is with its standard Enya setup which my guitar has. Its neck relief and action height are almost perfect setup right out of the box for bluegrass rhythm and bass runs, etc. I might consider putting .012 - .056 light-medium gauge strings on it to make sure it would punch through like a Cobra CB radio.

Dimensions from my eye-balled, tape-measured readings (+/- 1/32" or so) are:

Scale length: 25 5/8" (25.625")

Lower Bout Width: 15 3/4"

Length: 19 7/8"

Depth At Endpin: 4 5/8"

Waist To Nut:
Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus = 21 1/4"
2015 Taylor 614ce = 20 7/8"

The Enya x4 Pro AcousticPlus feels very comfortable!

Hope the above helps?

Regards,

Ken
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 08-07-2022, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm guessing that the display box helps Asian music stores stack them into a attractive friendly piles of merchandise just begging to follow the customer home. Online video reviewers gush about that box.

On Wednesday an Enya Nova Go was brought to our outdoor ukulele song circle by the owner of an Enya Nova uke.

The Enya Go looks like a 7/8 Les Paul. Its sound box (11 1/2' x 15" x 3" with arch back) measured about 20-25% the size of a standard size guitar, and it sounds quiet. Weight is 59oz (3lb 9oz), compared to my bigger and much louder 63oz AC Cargo.

I played it with fingers for an hour, and want to play it again with a pick to clarify my thoughts. Was perplexed by the forward shifted waist and would play it using a strap for best comfort.

Interested in your thoughts on playability, strings and choice of pickup.

Cheers.
My feeling is that the Enya Nova Go is a decent little, go anywhere, no cares at all, travel-style guitar. Its low cost and durability make it a guitar everyone should have in their stable just for the convenience of picking it on a couch while Felix The Cat sharpens his claws for an all-out frontal assault on it as soon as you go get a snack.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 08-07-2022 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

My Feelings On Enya Guitars: As long as you receive a "normal" specimen, these guitars are a purchase you can't go wrong on. If something is wrong with the guitar you receive, just contact Amazon and return that sum-b-pup with free shipping, and get a refund or another guitar.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 08-12-2022 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Right now, I'm playing the Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus through my Fender '59 Bassman Reissue and it sounds nice and full after adjustment of the Bassman's tone controls. This is the first time I've played any of my acoustic electrics through the Bassman and I could blow the roof off my house with this 50-watt amp while still having a clean tube tone!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 08-07-2022 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Hi CasualMusic,

I think the Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus would make a fine-toned guitar to play anywhere. It comes with Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze Light-Gauge strings which would be fine for most types of music. If going to a bluegrass jam it would be okay as is with its standard Enya setup which my guitar has. Its neck relief and action height are almost perfect setup right out of the box for bluegrass rhythm and bass runs, etc. I might consider putting .012 - .056 light-medium gauge strings on it to make sure it would punch through like a Cobra CB radio.

Dimensions from my eye-balled, tape-measured readings (+/- 1/32" or so) are:

Scale length: 25 5/8" (25.625")

Lower Bout Width: 15 3/4"

Length: 19 7/8"

Depth At Endpin: 4 5/8"

Waist To Nut:
Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus = 21 1/4"
2015 Taylor 614ce = 20 7/8"

The Enya x4 Pro AcousticPlus feels very comfortable!

Hope the above helps?

Regards,

Ken

Hi Ken.

This info helps a lot because it exactly addresses my need a guitar that performs well for outdoor singalongs and bluegrass. I'm convinced.

Many thanks.

Old 08-07-2022, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This info helps a lot because it exactly addresses my need a guitar that performs well for outdoor singalongs and bluegrass. I'm convinced.
Bluegrass? Let us know how that goes
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-08-2022, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Okay, so after my initial charging up of the new Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus preamp's onboard rechargeable battery I've had this guitar plugged in for a good 8 hours or more over three separate daily playing sessions, and the preamp's battery indicator charge light still shows GREEN! So, unless a catastrophic battery failure happens along the way, it sure seems like charging the guitar prior to doing a 4-set gig would yield a reliable plugged-in ax for the gig's duration, and hopefully, the preamp/battery will perform reliably for many years. I'll keep you posted on how many plugged-in hours it takes for the battery-charge light to go RED.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 08-08-2022 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Regarding the Enya Nova Go: As mentioned in another thread, the guitar will go slightly sharp when fretting at the 12th fret. Further examination of my guitar reveals that its factory-installed saddle is a little thinner than the saddle slot which causes the saddle to be tilted slightly forward in the slot. This I would surmise is the cause of the sharp notes up the fretboard and at the 12th fret. The easy fix would be to install a 1/8" TUSQ compensated saddle that would stand more vertical in the slot and yield closer to on-pitch notes at the 12th fret. Somewhere, I have a new TUSQ saddle sent to me by RainSong and will eventually try it in the Enya Nova Go. Frankly, the current saddle's propensity for pitch increase at the 12th fret is no biggie as the guitar still sounds decently harmonious as is.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 08-08-2022 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:59 AM

I would love to consider the Enya X4 Pro but I like a wide strings spacing and my other two guitars have a 1 3/4 neck width at the nut. While, if I am not wrong, the Enya X4 Pro has a traditional 1 11/16 neck width. But... more than the neck width, it is how the strings are spaced that is important, so my question to all Enya X4 Pro owners is: How is the strings spacing at the nut?
Can you please measure it from the center of the low E to the high E? Is it 35, 36, 37, 38 mm? This info would be very useful to me. Thanks in advance !
Old 08-09-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Regarding the Enya Nova Go: As mentioned in another thread, the guitar will go slightly sharp when fretting at the 12th fret. Further examination of my guitar reveals that its factory-installed saddle is a little thinner than the saddle slot which causes the saddle to be tilted slightly forward in the slot. This I would surmise is the cause of the sharp notes up the fretboard and at the 12th fret. The easy fix would be to install a 1/8" TUSQ compensated saddle that would stand more vertical in the slot and yield closer to on-pitch notes at the 12th fret.
Huh, looking at mine you may be correct, although the lack of saddle compensation (esp. at the B string) is an issue as well. The saddle does seem to be a standard 1/8" by 2-13/16", but I don't have a radius tool. Did you measure the fretboard radius by chance?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber