The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-30-2022, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Default Evolve 30M post-live use update

Initially, I planned to update my original NAD post for the EV30M with my thoughts after getting some time using it live but since that post is already 4 pages long, has three updates and has slipped to page 5, I figured a new post would work better. For those that missed it want to see my initial and subsequent thoughts as I learned about the unit (including demo videos), you can view that thread here: NAD: Jumped on the Evolve EV30M bandwagon - Updates with demo videos

We have now used our EV30M for 9 gigs, 4 of them this week alone. We/our are my wife and I, an acoustic duo with me on guitar and both of us on vocals. We play primarily assisted living centers but also are starting to play farmers markets and restaurants again. Other amps/systems we use are the EAE D6-58 and one or two Bose S1 units alone or with an EAE StompMix X6 digital mixer, although as of late both these excellent systems have been relegated to backup status in the trunk.

Why? Well, the EV30M, as hoped, has proven to be an excellent system for what we do and what we need. Initially our plan was to use the EV30M only for larger shows/rooms/venues where more power and wider sound dispersion was needed. While the Bose S1 Pro can throw sound fairly wide, it's greatly underpowered and the low end 'farts out' pretty quick when driven too hard with a preamped signal. But at 17 lbs with the ability to run on battery, it's a useful little amp. Add a second one and a preamp or mixer for more inputs and it's a formidable system that covers a lot of ground. The D6-58 with it's greater power, built-in mixer and ability to run on battery in a single small cabinet basically make it the culmination of a dual Bose S1 plus mixer system in a convenient single relatively small and lightweight (29 lbs) package. The one place is does not do as well as the Bose S1 is with horizontal sound dispersion.

Enter the EV30. The built-in mixer provides multiple inputs with plenty of tone shaping options plus the ability to tweak any and all settings at your fingertips via their excellent app on most any phone or tablet. Add to this even greater power, much better (wider) tonal palette because of the dedicated subwoofer and tweeter tower plus a much wider and deeper horizontal dispersion and the only thing the other two systems have over the EV30M is the ability to run on internal rechargeable battery power. While this has always been a feature we enjoyed, almost every gig we've ever played in past several years has had readily available power.

The first thing I did was to buy a longer, 15' power cord off Amazon. I chose one with a braided cloth outer sheath which I prefer. 15' so far has been perfect. I have yet to need more. As I said above, the initial plan was to use the EV30M only for the larger rooms/venues where more power and in particular, wider sound dispersion was needed. But what we quickly discovered was that even smaller rooms benefit from this type of tower system. Even at lower volumes the sound is dispersed farther and wider with less volume ensuring that those farther back are getting the same excellent sound as those right up front and center do without getting blasted, which was a problem with the D6-58.

The real winner here is the app used to control the unit. Once I got up to speed on that (it didn't take long) and saved my presets for both guitars I use and our vocals, it was been a complete joy to use this system. The ability to tweak on the fly the sound and EQ levels on the Samsung tablet right in front of me is simply wonderful. The app is intuitive and very well laid out. I can even just walk out front a ways with the tablet (which I have on its own stand) and my guitar (on wireless) and get some levels out front if I want. But usually I just pick out a few people at various locations around the room and ask them how the volume sounds.

We played an assisted living center this past week that is a very large room with a nurses station just beyond it. Previously we would get little to no reaction from the nurses and we also had a hard time with residents sitting in the back being able to hear us without those right up front covering their ears. This time those up front and in the back could hear very well. But the biggest win was seeing all the heads at the nurses station turn in our direction when we jumped into the first song. Before long they were lined up at the outer room's edge clapping and dancing.

The one thing left is a couple of outdoor farmers markets we have coming up. But I've played this unit outside on our deck (seen demo videos in the other thread), as well as at one assisted living center outdoor show and I already know it won't be a problem for us. I continue to keep the D6-58 in the trunk, ready to go should we need something that we can use if there is no power or power is lost or if the EV30M developed an issue. But so far everything has worked just fine. I find that moving, setup and teardown to be just as easy and fast as the D6-58 plus a pole to put it up on. If anything, the EV30M is easier since I don't have to lift anything heavy up high.

As far as power goes, we have yet to need more power. To date I am running the main volume at -10db. There is still a ton of headroom above that. I'll probably use more at the outdoor farmer's market but for the material we play and venues where we perform, a single 30M is more than enough. I'm still amazed that people need a 50M let alone 2! I guess if you're a full band or playing loud music but as an acoustic duo a single 30M suits us just fine. As far as positioning goes, we generally keep it to our left and back behind us a step or two depending on how much room we have. We have used it also directly behind us and as long as we're at least a full 2-3 steps in front there has been no issue. The one time I had an issue was when we played it outdoors at an assisted living center and we were up against a wall so I had it right next to me and the tweeters were blowing out my ears. I had to move it up to just in front of me a bit and then it was fine although we did lose a little of the full tone in that instance.

Anyway, I know a lot of people are using these systems or are considering them so I thought I'd post my thoughts now that we have many shows under our belt. My wife also loves this system and comments after every show how glad she is we made the purchase, a rare admission from her. This could also be a good thread for others that are using these systems to post their experiences - good and bad - as they encounter them. Feel free to add your experiences with your EV systems used at live shows should you care to do so.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for your usual outstanding field report, Methos!

I'm a very happy 30m user myself, and follow two Evolve user groups on Facebook where the vast majority are happy as well. I've used mine a few times at an outdoor Farmer's Market--a big one too, and no problem--and recently at a medium-sized indoor brewery. Compliments on the sound quality all around.

Two initial reactions:
  • A common complaint and one that I share is lack of documentation for the app, which has been covered here on AGF before as well as by many new users on the Evolve forums. Even the on-board mixer is less-well documented than I'd like. It clearly took me longer than you to figure out enough to get rolling (thanks to help here and elsewhere), and I still don't feel entirely comfortable. But having a fully featured smartphone-controlled mixer is hugely beneficial in the field, and I have a hard time imagining going back to an outboard mixer absent unusual circumstances. Instead of a standard mixer with stand and cables, I'm amazed I can just clip a smartphone to my mic stand. Zero footprint. Setup and teardown is super easy, barely an inconvenience....
  • One point I've never seen discussed in the 30 versus 50 debate is the portability of the sticks. The stick setup on the 50/50m consists of two sections, the column and the driver array. Those two longish sections are more awkward to lug around, in my opinion, than the three-section assembly of the 30m (two column sticks plust array) that fit in a smaller, light and very handy backpack. I can only guess Evolve built the 50's the way they did is because its array is larger and heavier, and you avoid the instability you see on the similar Bose Pro16--where users report things are noticeably more stable without the central columm.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Great review Scott! I’m still enthusiastic about my 50M—it’s worked well for all of my applications, small indoor and large outdoor venues. I ran an open mic last night and the sound was great, and I was able to easily dial in the various performers with my iPad. Don’t know that it will be ideal (but it’s our only option)—we’re gonna use the Evolve for vocals with my 4 piece electric Blues band next week. It’s an indoor event and I’ll bring my S1 pro for a monitor. Fingers crossed!
Old 07-30-2022, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
Great review Scott! I’m still enthusiastic about my 50M—it’s worked well for all of my applications, small indoor and large outdoor venues. I ran an open mic last night and the sound was great, and I was able to easily dial in the various performers with my iPad. Don’t know that it will be ideal (but it’s our only option)—we’re gonna use the Evolve for vocals with my 4 piece electric Blues band next week. It’s an indoor event and I’ll bring my S1 pro for a monitor. Fingers crossed!

Do you have enough channels for a four piece?
Old 07-30-2022, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Do you have enough channels for a four piece?
Just need 2 vocal mics. My electric, bass, and harp go through our individual amps.
Old 07-30-2022, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Just need 2 vocal mics. My electric, bass, and harp go through our individual amps.

Gotcha. That should work fine.

Last edited by lkingston; 07-30-2022 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:09 PM

I just did a little outdoor concert for maybe 25 people on Friday (July 29). I used a single 30M powered by a 300 watt battery inverter. The sound was just beautiful! Dispersion even and deep. I couldn’t have been happier.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:17 AM

Great review! Although, I am happy with my Bose Pro8 for my solo shows.. If I was in market for a new system the Evolve 30M would be top pick.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:22 AM

The EV 30m sounds more natural... and It sounded almost as good at the sides than it did out front....I'm impressed!!

Probably be my next PA purchase

Now days there isn't a need to compromise your sound even if you don't have power....
Old 08-04-2022, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

I'm b-a-a-c-k....

Okay, so as a followup to this (and another), I took the EV30m out to a med-sized bar/brewery on Monday for an open mic. The bar in a pretty sizable one, with upstairs seating area, long stainless bar - in fact the whole brewery is dressed in an industrial look... what that means is a bunch of steel, ibeams, exposed ceiling trusses, brick walls, concrete floor, LOTS of stainless steel, etc. Traditionally a big challenge for your average big 2-way. And the sound can bounce pretty severely.

Now, these open mics are pretty basic - I set up the system/sound, do a set while I tweak, then adjust a little as needed per performer, then stalk all the shadows and corners (and in this case, upstairs) to make sure the sound isn't horrible... Once in awhile, someone shows up with their church combo or small band, complete with keyboard, two guitars, and voice (or two). I had spent some time learning the software, so I am now versed in that. A couple of things: I wish there was a 'hard mute', that is, the ability to hit a mute switch on the mixer without having to go into the software or dialing everything down. And once in awhile, for some reason, the iPad bluetooth lost connection with a channel - not sure why, still figuring that out. But easily remedied by just backing out and re-selecting that channel. So anyway, I set it up, played a bit, etc. A friend (sound guy and singer, who is looking for an array for his band) showed up and I let him play with the software and configuration after we got started.

Okay, so we balanced as needed, and the result was really pretty amazing. Folks were coming up and telling me how great he system sounded, the voice/music separation, the articulation of words and sounds, etc. And I was pretty amazed as well - upstairs it wasn't overbearing like some others, just very clean and crisp - some volume but not tiring. Same in the back of the bar, beyond all the obstructions and people. Even my friend the sound guy (who has spent way too much $$ on gear) was tickled with the ease of software use and the measurable results we were getting from adjustments. I also used my S1 Pro as a stage monitor, but honestly I don't think I really needed it - the dispersion is pretty darned good.

As far as weight. It isn't heavy. Lighter than my old 46-lb Fender Passport and far (far) less cumbersome. Lighter than even a lower powered 2-way. Can I take it in one trip? Seems to be the goal, but it is a loaded question - the answer is yes, but I also take in a mic stand, guitar stand, and my S1 Pro for a stage monitor -- so yes and no on the one-trip question. Also, I have heard folks complain about the sub physical size, weight, etc, but for me it is zero problem. And I am older than most. Easily carried with one hand. But if you are challenged, then EV offers a rolling subwoofer cover (for a bunch of money). But imho you do't need it unless you have special needs. Then too, it is easy to find a decent little hand-truck sort of thing. I have used my wife's collapsible trolly she uses for art shows in the past, so there's that. And I do think it is kinda low-rent for EV to not include a sub cover....

On night two- an outdoor gig on a pretty decent-sized patio. But plans were waylaid - temps reached 97F (real feel of 107, whatever that means), so needless to say I set up inside the smallish bar/brewery. I didn't use the EV30 on that one - instead used my S1 / Fishman Artist, both fed by a Yamaha mixer (analog). Pretty simple setup, a few moving parts, easy enough... but not as easy as the EV30m - no kidding. Plus, extra wires to feed the satellite, the mixer, etc. Sheesh. In hindsight I should have just brought the EV and adjusted for the room -- next time. So I don't have feedback for the outside gig.

Look, I know this is an Evolve love-thread, but the truth is, this thing is the real deal. Clear, powerful, articulate, the crossovers are perfect, the software is understandable, intuitive, and logical and it works! Easy to use its multiple ports as rests change, easy to mix-out to a monitor or satellite, easy to configure, monitor, and adjust on the fly. Honestly, I have no qualms about the clarity, power, throw, and dispersion of this system. It is the right one for my needs.

As usual, ymmv. Cheers.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancher View Post
I'm b-a-a-c-k....

Okay, so as a followup to this (and another), I took the EV30m out to a med-sized bar/brewery on Monday for an open mic. The bar in a pretty sizable one, with upstairs seating area, long stainless bar - in fact the whole brewery is dressed in an industrial look... what that means is a bunch of steel, ibeams, exposed ceiling trusses, brick walls, concrete floor, LOTS of stainless steel, etc. Traditionally a big challenge for your average big 2-way. And the sound can bounce pretty severely.

Now, these open mics are pretty basic - I set up the system/sound, do a set while I tweak, then adjust a little as needed per performer, then stalk all the shadows and corners (and in this case, upstairs) to make sure the sound isn't horrible... Once in awhile, someone shows up with their church combo or small band, complete with keyboard, two guitars, and voice (or two). I had spent some time learning the software, so I am now versed in that. A couple of things: I wish there was a 'hard mute', that is, the ability to hit a mute switch on the mixer without having to go into the software or dialing everything down. And once in awhile, for some reason, the iPad bluetooth lost connection with a channel - not sure why, still figuring that out. But easily remedied by just backing out and re-selecting that channel. So anyway, I set it up, played a bit, etc. A friend (sound guy and singer, who is looking for an array for his band) showed up and I let him play with the software and configuration after we got started.

Okay, so we balanced as needed, and the result was really pretty amazing. Folks were coming up and telling me how great he system sounded, the voice/music separation, the articulation of words and sounds, etc. And I was pretty amazed as well - upstairs it wasn't overbearing like some others, just very clean and crisp - some volume but not tiring. Same in the back of the bar, beyond all the obstructions and people. Even my friend the sound guy (who has spent way too much $$ on gear) was tickled with the ease of software use and the measurable results we were getting from adjustments. I also used my S1 Pro as a stage monitor, but honestly I don't think I really needed it - the dispersion is pretty darned good.

As far as weight. It isn't heavy. Lighter than my old 46-lb Fender Passport and far (far) less cumbersome. Lighter than even a lower powered 2-way. Can I take it in one trip? Seems to be the goal, but it is a loaded question - the answer is yes, but I also take in a mic stand, guitar stand, and my S1 Pro for a stage monitor -- so yes and no on the one-trip question. Also, I have heard folks complain about the sub physical size, weight, etc, but for me it is zero problem. And I am older than most. Easily carried with one hand. But if you are challenged, then EV offers a rolling subwoofer cover (for a bunch of money). But imho you do't need it unless you have special needs. Then too, it is easy to find a decent little hand-truck sort of thing. I have used my wife's collapsible trolly she uses for art shows in the past, so there's that. And I do think it is kinda low-rent for EV to not include a sub cover....

On night two- an outdoor gig on a pretty decent-sized patio. But plans were waylaid - temps reached 97F (real feel of 107, whatever that means), so needless to say I set up inside the smallish bar/brewery. I didn't use the EV30 on that one - instead used my S1 / Fishman Artist, both fed by a Yamaha mixer (analog). Pretty simple setup, a few moving parts, easy enough... but not as easy as the EV30m - no kidding. Plus, extra wires to feed the satellite, the mixer, etc. Sheesh. In hindsight I should have just brought the EV and adjusted for the room -- next time. So I don't have feedback for the outside gig.

Look, I know this is an Evolve love-thread, but the truth is, this thing is the real deal. Clear, powerful, articulate, the crossovers are perfect, the software is understandable, intuitive, and logical and it works! Easy to use its multiple ports as rests change, easy to mix-out to a monitor or satellite, easy to configure, monitor, and adjust on the fly. Honestly, I have no qualms about the clarity, power, throw, and dispersion of this system. It is the right one for my needs.

As usual, ymmv. Cheers.
Glad you like it. Figured you would! As for a global mute, the 'Mixer' (when in mixer mode) down in the lower right (at least on my Samsung tablet) has a hard mute on it that kills everything. No need to 'dial down' individual channels. I set this to mute when I save parameters and leaving everything else unmuted which makes this my starting point when powering up.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:49 PM

I've already got more PA equipment than I could ever need, but if I buy anything else, it'll likely be a 30. Thanks for selling it.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Glad you like it. Figured you would! As for a global mute, the 'Mixer' (when in mixer mode) down in the lower right (at least on my Samsung tablet) has a hard mute on it that kills everything. No need to 'dial down' individual channels. I set this to mute when I save parameters and leaving everything else unmuted which makes this my starting point when powering up.
Thats a good idea...just mute the "Main" channel. But I usually stream music in between sets so I just mute the other active channels...just takes a second.

BTW....what exactly is the purpose of the "Main" channel slider anyway? You have a master volume on the opening screen.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

I thought he was meaning a mute button on the back of the unit itself (not the app). It would be a nice feature--as you have to go into the menu to mute.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I thought he was meaning a mute button on the back of the unit itself (not the app). It would be a nice feature--as you have to go into the menu to mute.
Re-reading his post, I think you are correct - he's looking (wishing) for a mute hard button and not something in a menu or on the app. I do agree that the many layered manual options are far from intuitive. Fortunately, the app seems to work great. And I have it on two devices that are with me. But all it would take is for the connectivity function to go down and that might lead to some angst. I hope I never run into that. But I always have a backup in the trunk.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification