The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-30-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Dee View Post
Any update? I am currently thinking of these two pedals as well, thanks.

Yes, I’m fact I settled on the Align. It was very easy to dial in a great reverb for acoustic and it was well received by the sound guys.

I think if you have a pedalboard that doubles duty with electric guitar the HOF2 would be more versatile.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:51 AM

I really like mine too
Gibson SJ200,Martin OM28V,D18GE custom,000-18 2015,J12-15,Yamaha L25A,L20A,FG350W,FG441S-12,SLG200S,Taylor GSMini mahogany,National M1 tricone,Eastman E10ss/v,Gretch Honey Dipper,Harp Guitar,FenderStratocaster,Line 6 300/600/700 acoustic,W Rees Aberdeen meadows Harp,Fullsicle Harp,2 sitars,more instruments and guitars
Old 07-30-2022, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

The reverb I like the most is the UAD Golden Reverberator, basically implementations of UAs studio reverb models in a pedal. I sold my Strymons, TC, etc, after trying it. But it depends on what you want. The UAD is pure reverb, no fancy effects, no shimmer, etc, that some others have. The Strymons, TC HOF, neunaber, are all very good.
Old 08-02-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Yes, I’m fact I settled on the Align. It was very easy to dial in a great reverb for acoustic and it was well received by the sound guys.

I think if you have a pedalboard that doubles duty with electric guitar the HOF2 would be more versatile.
Ok thanks for the update. This will be strictly for my acoustic gigs.
2021 Fender Strat AM Pro II
Old 08-04-2022, 10:37 AM

I have a Boss RV6, I'm pretty sure it's the latest version of this reverb and delay in one pedal. It sounds great and saves space with the delay built-in. It can be set to Spring, Room, Plate theres even a modulated kind of verb, and the delay is also adjustable - I have it set to a Plate verb and a nice short slap-back delay, it does a nice job, it's built like a brick house can use a 9v or pedal board power supply.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

The Strymon Flint is delicious. One of the best pedals I own.
The reverb selections are rich and adjustable. The added Tremelo is amazing.
I also have Source Audio Collider which I mostly use for the delays but the reverbs are sweet and adjustable as well. It has a shimmer which can be tailored easily.
The Flint is bar none, my 5 star recommendation.

Yamamoto Talus All Paulownia/ Barbera Solo pickup
Zeiler Harpy Eagle/ Barbera or Dazzo
CA Pre-Peavy Cargo/ Misi-Element pickup
Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor Ukulele/ Misi- Element pickup
Outdoor Carbon Ukulele
SunnAudio DI Pristine
Genzler Acoustic Array Pro Amp
EV Everse 8
Old 08-09-2022, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Fish View Post
There are so many good options out there. The answer depends on whats sounds you are looking for.

Also consider the neunaber options. I had very good experiences with their wet pedal.

I currently use Meris Mercury 7 because it has a simple nice plate plus crazy ambient sounds.

+1 on the Mercury 7. It sounds incredible, and is one of my favorites for recording guitars (both acoustic and electric), as well as keyboards. Lush, bigger-than-life (or far more modest, but still very sweet, when dialed in more conservatively).

There's a bit of a learning curve, with this one, because of the alternate knob functions. But, once you get past that - options galore, in spite of only two algorithms offered up by the pedal.

It really shines in stereo.

Another possibility would be the GFI SKylar - which also has glorious stereo sound via TRS cables.

Source Audio's Ventris is an incredible reverb, for any kind of instrumentation - and again, bigger than life, in stereo. It looks more complicated than it is. Very intuitive to dial in, though.

This particular reverb has two reverb engines. You can combine two completely different reverb algorithms, either in parallel, or one, cascaded, into another.

I'm kind of a reverb fanatic - even more so with delay pedals.

These are usually spread over four different boards.

Someone mentioned the MXR M300, and that is a powerful, dead simple to use reverb (only 3 knobs - doesn't get much simpler than that), with six different algorithms available. The MXR stuff has been around forever. They're pretty much tanks. This one allows for stereo operation, with the use of TRS plugs.

You can also use it with an expression pedal, to adjust some parameters (like the wet/dry mix of an algorithm), hands-free, with the expression pedal. It also happens to be the smallest pedal of the bunch, to pack so many features, and it sounds wonderful.

Last edited by david57strat; 08-09-2022 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post

I had a Hall of Fame 2, an EQD Afterneath v2, and a DigiTech Polara on my main board, which I use for acoustic and electric; but those all went flying off permanently when I picked up the Space and Ventris reverbs.

This board has become a home studio board (too unwieldy to use for gigging, without a proper MIDI controller), so I never prettied up the cabling, since pedals fly on and off of that board, all the time, depending on the need at the time.

The HOF2 sounded a little harsh, and lacking in subtlety, by comparison, and just couldn't keep up with any of the others. I ended up selling that one.

The Polara has remained, but is not in the same class as some of the other reverbs - and shouldn't be expected to be, because of the different price point. Apples to oranges.

The Afterneath v2 and the Polara have been assigned to other boards, but don't see as much love as they used to, compared to the other reverbs. The Afterneath v3 is incredible, but more for wacky sounds, than conventional ones. Also superb, combined with an expression pedal. It's a great one for experimenting with ambient textures, but it's mono, so I tend to combine it with a stereo delay or modulation, further down in the signal chain.

I'm a huge proponent of stereo, for delays, reverbs, and modulation and have been using a stereo setup since 1997.

Once you've gone the stereo route, it's hard to go back.

Last edited by david57strat; 08-09-2022 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:46 AM

My Keeley Caverns V2 kicked my HOF off my board for good. With the modulation and shimmer switch, getting beautiful but different reverbs is very simple. I almost never have to fiddle with knobs unless something got moved in transit. A great subtle reverb can be transformed into something much different with that little toggle alone. Works extremely well with acoustic.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:05 AM

Wow! Thanks for taking all the time to write up reviews of these boutique reverb pedals. Frankly, I haven’t been in the pedal market so I wasn’t familiar with the brands or the products. They look stellar and a lot of fun to play with. Makes my Align unit look downright boring. :-)
Old 08-09-2022, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchman View Post
My Keeley Caverns V2 kicked my HOF off my board for good. With the modulation and shimmer switch, getting beautiful but different reverbs is very simple. I almost never have to fiddle with knobs unless something got moved in transit. A great subtle reverb can be transformed into something much different with that little toggle alone. Works extremely well with acoustic.
I love mine too. I set the delay on it (and forget it) for half the songs I use delay on and dial up my Carbon Copy for others that need a different delay. Truly a versatile pedal.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I love mine too. I set the delay on it (and forget it) for half the songs I use delay on and dial up my Carbon Copy for others that need a different delay. Truly a versatile pedal.

I keep slapback on almost all the time. The material I play consists of mostly older country type songs where I just like having that sound. I understand that some people may dislike the shimmer reverb, but when used very sparingly, I think it’s really nice. When I first got it, my playing partner just couldn’t get enough of it. But it loses its impact when used too much.
Old 08-10-2022, 07:55 AM

Strymon Flint, Source Audio Collider, GFI Specular Tempus would be my 3 recommendations.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:23 AM

I like a little reverb or delay on my acoustic, but I don't need a ton of options. A little goes a long way, so I opted for the Nux Atlantic which has both reverb and delay for little money. I had the Align pedal before this one, and it sounded nice, but the Nux works just fine for live work, and was cheaper.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Get yourself a used (no longer in production) BOSS RV-3 Digital Delay/Reverb pedal.

This pedal does it all (Delay, Reverb, or combinations of both) and, like all BOSS pedals, is bulletproof.

Can you leave a Delay on all the time and then add a Delay periodically for solos? If you have to bend down and press the little button it wouldn't be practical for gigging or live performances. When you combine effects there are always limitations.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification