The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-05-2021, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Who’s switching to Wireless??

And what system?
Any issues?

Ive settled on the NuX B5RC. Have used it with two others at same time with no interference. Only issue (on another thread) is a hum with a matrix system, but no probs otherwise. Im quickly getting used to no cords.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 06-06-2021, 05:21 AM

I have Xvive U2. It works well most of the time but there are occasional drop outs. At home when I practice it's fine but at the campground I play at, I get dropouts so I usually just go wired when playing out.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:00 AM

I just picked up a Sennheiser XS instrument base set. I really like the form factor on this system. The only thing I would knock about it is that it only comes with one USB C cable for charging two devices and no charger. However, if cutting out the accessories was the only way to maintain quality at the $300 price point, then I'm good with it.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:08 AM

I appreciate the practicality but no.Enough wireless technology around already
Gibson SJ200,Martin OM28V,D18GE custom,000-18 2015,J12-15,Yamaha L25A,L20A,FG350W,FG441S-12,SLG200S,Taylor GSMini mahogany,National M1 tricone,Eastman E10ss/v,Gretch Honey Dipper,Harp Guitar,FenderStratocaster,Line 6 300/600/700 acoustic,W Rees Aberdeen meadows Harp,Fullsicle Harp,2 sitars,more instruments and guitars
Old 06-06-2021, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

I started with the Xvive U2 and it was great for playing at home but would only work with passive systems. Then I got the more expensive Boss WL20 system which was awful and completely useless with interference issues. Then I got the even more expensive Sennheiser XSW-D system which worked great but still had some interference issues out in the wild. All these systems were on the 2.4 gHz band. Then I picked up the extremely inexpensive, no-name 5.8 gHz system and it works awesome. The tone is not as great as a cord but for practicing or any gigs that don't require great tone (which is pretty much all of them) it works more than fine. I love not being tethered with a cord. I call it 'free-range' guitar playing! There is a metric f-ton of these no-name 5.8 gHz systems to choose from.

Last edited by Methos1979; 08-21-2022 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

I use wireless for some gigs where I need to move around and interact but I like to use a good quality cable when possible.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Boss WL20 for a couple of years. No issues for me but I don’t play out.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:08 AM

I've had no issues with the Boss WL-20 (open mics), except the one time the receiver somehow didn't get charged up.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Love using my wireless set-ups, but always keep cords nearby and ready to go. I’m not sure of all the reasons, but heat, wireless interference, battery problems, and the issues with some units not working with all pickups, just make them something I can’t count on - a good cord has never let me down -
Old 06-06-2021, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Like Scott, I am using one of the 5.8 gHz units - I think it was recommended by Aaron (AeroUSA). Inexpensive, and hasn't blipped in over a year of use. Lasts about 5 hours on a charge. Famous Wingo brand.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Like Scott, I am using one of the 5.8 gHz units - I think it was recommended by Aaron (AeroUSA). Inexpensive, and hasn't blipped in over a year of use. Lasts about 5 hours on a charge. Famous Wingo brand.
Yeah I use those when needed but high quality cable still sounds better.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:45 AM

I use Line6 Realy G30 and G10, and also BOSS Boss WL-20, at home AND at live gigs. I never had a problem.
Just keep in mind that most of the wireless systems don't get along with LR Baggs preamp; you need an adapter to avoid hums and noises
Old 06-07-2021, 05:38 AM

I've been using Relay G30s since they hit the streets.

the only complaint I'd have is the transmitter housing has some issue.

the battery door latch, and the belt clip, just not great designs. I've had issues with both that I've had to try and work around. Line 6 just tells you to buy a replacement housing, which are out of stock, and have been for months.

I have two separate units, the newer ones don't sync with the older bases.
ARG!

My NEXT top endish wireless -- If I buy one, will NOT be a line 6... they were no help at all (and I've got a fair amount of $ sunk into Line 6 products. their customer support failed me here)

I picked up a cheap "Golden Plug" thing off amazon to use as a backup, (49 bucks, what can go wrong?) that works pretty good, never had any issues with it.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-07-2021, 06:01 AM

Our Worship Pastor surprised me a couple of weeks ago with a Line 6 G10 like the one he uses. So now I have the freedom to walk around without a cable and it's pretty cool.

We're both less than 20' away from the base but during a practice he occasionally walks with his guitar back to the media booth about 75' away and everything still works just fine from that distance even though that's outside the stated range.

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 06-07-2021, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

I was skeptical. I figured I would just use wireless at home when practicing and use reliable cords when rehearsing with my band or when we finally gig (post COVID).

Just to experiment I bought a cheap $50 wireless from Amazon.

It was *AMAZING* !!!! no latency, incredible sound quality, no issues and the battery lasts HOURS longer than advertised. And (most importantly) totally reliable. I use this at rehearsals now too.

This cheap experiment made me a wireless convert.

I tried to upgrade via Amazon but both units I bought were really junk, so its totally hit-or-miss.

I then got the higher quality wireless unit that is paired from Line6 for my Line6 amp and I am even more impressed.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification