The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
But I didn't have any CF guitars back then.

Prolly no one did
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-21-2019, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Getting ready to head out for today's guitar lessons. Most of the kids did come up with a song they wanted to learn, but none of them actually looked online to see if the song was chords they (kinda) know.

Me: "Well, that one has lyrics that aren't 'school appropriate'."

"Nope, that has more chords in it than they will learn in the next year."

"Oh, look, a three chord song... OMG, it's a Taylor Swift song. Someone kill me now."

"Well, that one's not gonna happen: bar chord."

I gave them a couple "licks" to practice: one was the opening to Secret Agent Man, and surprisingly, they had all heard it before. I'm trying to get them to be able to pick individual strings... and have some rhythm to it.

You should have seen the looks on those little faces when I said, "OK, work up that song you picked and be ready to play it for the class on the next lesson." (Yeah, I was kidding.)

I take for granted that "we all have rhythm"... I spent some time with my son-in-law last night, and proved that thought wrong. We changed out (and by "we", I mean I coached him through it - he did the work) his strings, too. We'll see what he thinks of coated strings, now that he is building calluses.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:03 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

That's a new one on me. Did changing strings help your son-I-law's rhythm? It's a pretty unorthodox teaching method, but if it works I'll start changing strings more often..
Old 03-21-2019, 03:06 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

Wait a minute! You're son-in-law is developing calluses from changing strings? How does that work?
Old 03-21-2019, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

The Captain probably has him changing the strings on all his guitars too...
String on...String off
Old 03-21-2019, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

For those of you who question my tactics: I had my son-in-law keep those original strings on for the last 7 weeks or so... and helped him switch them to some Elixir Nanowebs, which should be easier on his finger tips. First: build up the calluses, then we'll switch strings. Plus, we are leaving here in 10 days - he needs to know how to change strings. I am pleased with his progress.

Now, regarding the school kids' lessons - here is proof that I am willing to go to any length to keep them fired up about learning to play...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB5N...ature=youtu.be

Yes, a grown man playing Taylor Swift. As I have been know to say: it is important to know your audience.

-------

On edit: The "ooouuh-ooouuh"s in that recording are apparently coming from the person doing the video. I won't mention anyone by name, but it is Stephanie (my daughter and their math/science teacher). Apparently she was into it, too.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 03-21-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:07 AM
Guest 928

Oh Captain, that is such good stuff! Thank you for sharing.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

A Wrap and a Life Lesson...

Today was the last of the guitar lessons at our daughter's school. It has been an interesting journey. I wrote about it on our blog...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/0...fe-lesson.html

The highlights if you don't want to view that: the kids gave me hand-made cards and a wooden pick holder in the shape of an acoustic guitar...

Very nice of them. I also tried to leave them with a life lesson, and it had to do with that Taylor Swift song, Shake It Off. I hope some of them stick with playing guitar... especially the one boy who wrote in the card that when he becomes a rock star he is going to give me a lot of money to show how much these lessons meant to him.

One more week and we'll be on the road, heading for home.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Nicely done, sir, nicely done.

I'm hoping that my impending retirement will provide a similar suggestion to serve somewhere. We shall see.

In the meantime, what am I going to do with these 4 packs of wonderful DR Strings that I don't really care for?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-26-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Nicely done, sir, nicely done.

I'm hoping that my impending retirement will provide a similar suggestion to serve somewhere. We shall see.

In the meantime, what am I going to do with these 4 packs of wonderful DR Strings that I don't really care for?
Pay 'em forward, David. A kind participant here sent me some wood picks to try and asked that I let other players give 'em a try. I am sure there are some folks here (and on the main forum) that would like to try the DRs.

Or:

http://www.darrylpurpose.com/second-strings-project/
Old 03-27-2019, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

We got together with my keyboard playing buddy again. The main plan was to lay down a couple tracks with the Spire Studio so I can take them home, add bass and percussion, then send them back to my friend so he can do some enhanced keyboard (he just ordered a new synth) stuff on another track.

With that done, we all had lunch, then Mark and I just made some music. Joan asked if we would learn Shallow (by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper) for her - here's an iPhone video of our first raw run through with that...

If that embedded file doesn't work: https://youtu.be/v_icCgD2rH0

Once we get that down, that will be another to add to our "track swapping" list.

Our time here in the desert is getting short. While the desert weather hasn't been as nice as we've experienced in the past, I have gotten a lot more music time in while we've been here.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Well done Captain !
Old 03-27-2019, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Nice job Captain Jim!

Todd in Chicago
Old 03-28-2019, 09:18 AM
Guest 928

Thank you for the YouTube version. And for sharing.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

My first attempt at playing harmonica (just bought it last week). Mark put down a piano track on the Spire when we were at their house on Wednesday; mostly a scratch track so we can get comfortable with sending Spire Studio tracks back and forth after we get home. I had an hour or so today, so in the noisy environment of the motorhome, I added a vocal, nylon guitar, and harmonica track...

No, this isn't a finished product... more of an experiment. What's that? Frankenstein was "an experiment"? The people in the RV park are gathering with pitchforks and torches? Yeah, it's about time for us to hit the road.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber