The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-18-2022, 06:27 PM

Default Loudbox Mini Owners- tone settings?

I have found that I need to set the tone controls on the Mini to Bass at (clock dial) 1 or 2; mid at 5 (all the way down) and treble at 10 or 11. Seems weird to me. What are you experiencing? Guitars are Martin D10e; Taylor 314ce. Similar tone settings for both. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2022, 06:32 PM

It will change room to room, and according to taste.

If you run the mids all the way down, you may find it seems loud in an empty venue, but any amount of talking from the crowd will be audible over the main (middle) part of your guitar tone, as human voices, naturally, tend to fall into the mid-range of our hearing.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 08-19-2022, 04:21 AM
Charter Member

The MX-T pickup in the D10e has a non-intuitive tone control. Flat is with
the tone dial turned all the way left. With any other setting, you may be
EQ'ing an already drastically Eq'ed, scooped tone.
Old 08-19-2022, 04:35 AM

Mid at 5? do you mean more like 7 if all the way down?

I usually set around 8 or 9 o'clock

And flat is 12 o'clock. so you're cutting treble and boosting bass and cutting completely out the mids have I got that right?

This sounds close to what works for most of my acoustics too.

I do put a bit of mid in (8/9 o'clock)

As you get further away from the sound source (The amp) the mids start to blend in a bit. What seems like too much in front of it, sounds closer to right about 40 feet out.

There's also the phase setting which tends to shift the entire tone spectrum a bit.

Pickups are Fishman Infinity's and Taylor ES2s or the Taylor NS

btw.. I have an Artist and a Fender Acoustasonic JR.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 08-19-2022, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Every amp I've ever used you always start with the tone controls at 12:00 and work your way forward from there as needed. The Loudbox amps are totally different. I usually have everything between 8:00 and 10:00. It sounds much better with the bass, mid and treble on the left hand side of the clock.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 08-20-2022, 09:05 AM

When playing my Gibson J15 through my Mini I must take the Bass down to around 9-10 o'clock, mids go around 7-8 o'clock and the highs are 1-2 o'clock. If I'm playing either of my Martins, I leave the mids and highs where they are and move the bass up to 11-12.

Best,
PJ
Old 08-20-2022, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummerpsf View Post
I have found that I need to set the tone controls on the Mini to Bass at (clock dial) 1 or 2; mid at 5 (all the way down) and treble at 10 or 11. Seems weird to me. What are you experiencing? Guitars are Martin D10e; Taylor 314ce. Similar tone settings for both. Thanks!
Hi s-sf
  • What brand of pickup?
  • Is the pickup preamplified before it plugs into the amp (preinstalled or user installed pickups…internal batteries)?
  • Are you facing the amp toward yourself while testing? If Yes - how far away.
  • Is it sitting on the ground up up off the ground?

It is a Loudbox MINI.

It has a 6.5" speaker (versus a more common 8" in other brands of acoustic amps). That's going to affect the amount of bass you CAN get out of it, and then the mids and highs are going to need attenuation probably.

Eight inch speakers give a more full sound with less work. Doesn't mean you cannot get a balanced sound from the MINI, but it will take some work. Also the environment makes a difference too (size of room/space you are playing in, padded walls or hard, bed or other furniture to affect sound etc). Also the amount of space you plan to 'fill' with it's output.

Have fun figuring it out!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-24-2022, 05:57 PM

Default Loudbox settings

I usually run with bass at 8 or 9 o’clock, mid and treble are usually up around 2-3 o’clock.

The phase button changes things a bit, which is expected.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 09-24-2022, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
Every amp I've ever used you always start with the tone controls at 12:00 and work your way forward from there as needed. The Loudbox amps are totally different. I usually have everything between 8:00 and 10:00. It sounds much better with the bass, mid and treble on the left hand side of the clock.
Thats interesting you say that. I tend to agree with that, but cant bring myself to stay like that. It seems you could accomplish the same thing by setting them all at noon, and just turning the gain down a bit. Assuming they act by cutting their designated freq range. Im not sure that is the case, though. I agree, the Loudboxes do EQ differently from most other amps, IMO.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification