The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-11-2022, 05:32 PM

Unhappy Recording And Eeerie noises in mix that won't go away

Hello friends on A.G.F!
I have a general wondering about recording noise that seems to be coming through my stereo, and into my recorder rendering it useless...

Recently a new 5G transmitter was installed in very close proximity to my room... Unfortunately ever sense it was installed, I have been hearing these eerie coded beeps, and noises that make my efforts to record a sound useless...I don't actually know if the sounds are coming from the transmitter,
but it did start when it was installed in very close proximity to me...

Virtually,
I can't do any new stuff and this has been the most frustrating thing cause I want the world to hear my songs...Basically a 2 year hiatus ever sense this contraption was installed... Has anyone ever experienced this? It sounds like the alien codes that you hear on independence day when they are being invaded by the big spaceship.... I am really crushed.

Is there any way to get rid of these strange noises that are coming through my stereo, and through my recorder? Is there another device that can be purchased to get rid of strange sounds that are coming through?
Is there anything to try or a button that I may not be pressing on my recorder?

I am utterly crushed and hoping to find some help here because I am recording with acoustic instruments.

Please help.

Eric
Old 08-11-2022, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Talking about a wireless router for example? How close together are the equipment in question? Same power outlet? Quality of equipment, cables?

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-11-2022, 06:31 PM

...and what are you using to record? A mic/preamp into an interface into a computer? Or a handheld device or something else?

Can you post a recording of the noise?
Old 08-11-2022, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

When my iPhone is on the same side of the table as my Presonus AudioBox USB 96 interface, I hear buzzy sounds that remind me slightly of the old fax sounds, but quieter — more like little clicks. It always goes away when I move the phone to the other side of the table. This used to happen with speaker phones at work.

Cellular or WiFi signals can interfere with audio. The fix is to increase the distance.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 08-11-2022, 07:37 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
When my iPhone is on the same side of the table as my Presonus AudioBox USB 96 interface, I hear buzzy sounds that remind me slightly of the old fax sounds, but quieter — more like little clicks. It always goes away when I move the phone to the other side of the table. This used to happen with speaker phones at work.

Cellular or WiFi signals can interfere with audio. The fix is to increase the distance.
We get this at the studio and tell the artists to put their phone in aircraft mode. That fixes it.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-11-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
We get this at the studio and tell the artists to put their phone in aircraft mode. That fixes it.

Bob
I'm assuming that turning mobile phones off will do the same thing, correct? Who wants a phone to ring in the middle of a take anyway?
Old 08-11-2022, 08:15 PM

Embrace the eerie.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gibson View Post
Recently a new 5G transmitter was installed in very close proximity to my room...
You mean a cell tower? Outdoors?

Couch Standards
Old 08-11-2022, 08:48 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
I'm assuming that turning mobile phones off will do the same thing, correct? Who wants a phone to ring in the middle of a take anyway?
Exactly. Cell phones in the studio are antagonists. I've always said that with performers, creation stops when the camera goes on. Many young, modern performers are so addicted to social media that without management, every time the red light goes off, the performer defaults to selling him or herself online. And if a camera is on during a recording take, the camera is the performer's focus rather than the recorder. The takes are worthless.

When I am producing, one of my rules is "leave the phones and cameras in the control room. If you want to do a short video of you performing in the studio we can do it when the takes are done."

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
recording