The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-28-2022, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Default Beesneez BU67 - new U67 clone

There aren't many U67 clones out there and the few I've heard have left me mostly unimpressed. The new Beesneez BU67, while it still misses the mark by a bit, comes closer to my ears than any I've heard so far. The bottom isn't quite as full and the top lacks a bit of the sparkle of the vintage, but I think that running this mic through a good tube pre (the samples used the preamps in an Apogee Duet) and little bit of EQ could get it very close.

It sells for $2159AUD which translates into about $1500 US. Adding in shipping brings the cost to about $1555.

The original U67 used a AC701 tube. Those are increasingly hard to find and getting one that has been tested and is of microphonic quality will run thousands of dollars. Instead, this mic uses a NOS Brimar and Mullard EF86. Unfortunately, that tube is constructed in such a way that there aren't a whole lot of options should someone want to try another tube ...something about the audio grid leaving from the top of the tube. I don't know much about tube construction but I did read in a discussion that most other EF86 tubes won't fit this mic. The maker does say that he bought up a significant amount to ensure replacements would be available. From what I've read,

The mic has plenty of polar patterns, from omni to cardioid, to figure 8 and every in between. From what I've read, I believe the mic also has an internal switch that lets you bypass part of the circuitry to make the mic sound like a Neumann M269.

Here are a couple of clips. The first is with a vintage 67; the second is the Beesneez BU67. I think the mic sounds quite nice, especially for the price.

2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-28-2022, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

I will be following this thread very closely. From the sound samples you posted this mic sounds very nice.

Beesneez microphone reviews have been all over the place. To those that are ecstatic about their mics, to those who have been downright disappointed. Opinions are so diverse on this company, it has lead me to some doubts. But again, proof is in the pudding and that sound sample was quite good.

I like that they make their own capsules. I have always placed a high value on companies who make their own capsules. Seems like if you make something in house, you should also be able to control the quality better. Companies that have to rely on others, also have to rely that outside companies will keep their quality from batch to batch.

While I like U67( especially on acoustic guitar), I have always been a bit dubious on its value for Vocals. Yes, I know....countless hit records use them. For myself, with powerful singers I always hear an unpleasing distortion. Maybe this fault is with the engineer and not the mic itself? Still it has always lead me to question the U67. As where the 87, not being of tube nature does not seem to have the distortion issues. On the other hand...I have always liked the factor that tubes add a compression type factor. I like the warmth of a tube.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
While I like U67( especially on acoustic guitar), I have always been a bit dubious on its value for Vocals.
Yes, the 67 is excellent on acoustic guitar. For vocals, I think it comes down to what works best for any particular singer. I was told years ago that the 67 was Warren Zevon's preferred vocal mic and I've always loved the sound of his vocals.

YouTube
Old 06-28-2022, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Yes, the 67 is excellent on acoustic guitar. For vocals, I think it comes down to what works best for any particular singer. I was told years ago that the 67 was Warren Zevon's preferred vocal mic and I've always loved the sound of his vocals.
Thanks for that reference of Warren Zevon and the U67. I looked up and listened to a few of his old classics. And without a doubt, the U67 has that certain recognizable sound.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Thats a pretty good price for a mic that sounds close to a Vintage 67
The Neumann reissue retails for $7500
The ADK Z-Mod u67 sells for $3360 and I choose the Z-Mod 251 over it ... Although a new ADK 67 is coming in July

I just listened on my laptop and only heard the slightest bit more air in the Vintage. Is this a single performance or two performances ?

I'll give a listen on my studio system later

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 07-01-2022 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Although a new ADK 67 is coming in July
ADK makes some nice mics. I'm curious to hear this one. Is it another Z-mod version or are they going for something that looks more like a 67?

Quote:
Is this a single performance or two performances ?
I think it must be two performances because she sings the very last line differently in the two samples.

YouTube
Old 07-01-2022, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
ADK makes some nice mics. I'm curious to hear this one. Is it another Z-mod version or are they going for something that looks more like a 67?

I think it must be two performances because she sings the very last line differently in the two samples.
Opps sorry From this I am assuming it is a new Z-Mod version
https://adkmic.com/products/adk-z-67-x-mas

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 07-01-2022, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Opps sorry From this I am assuming it is a new Z-Mod version
https://adkmic.com/products/adk-z-67-x-mas
I understand that using the same body shape across a whole line reduces costs but I want a 67 clone to look a little like a 67. I could live with their body shape on the 251, the 47, the 800, and even the 12, but the 49 and 67 are just too far removed from the shape of the original for me. But that seems to be their thing... every line has a shape that is used for every mic.

I've never used any of their high end mics but I did own a pair of their A6 mics which, for $250 apiece, I thought were very nice on acoustic. In a lot of their early demonstration videos with Al Petteway, Dream Guitars used A6s. That's where I first heard about them. There were selling them for a time and I bought my pair from them. I sold one a while back but I have still the other hanging around.

Way back, I heard some shootouts that included their original Hamburg and Vienna mics. They were very much on my radar even though I never got around to buying one. I thought they both sounded very nice as vocal mics.

YouTube
Old 07-01-2022, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I understand that using the same body shape across a whole line reduces costs but I want a 67 clone to look a little like a 67. I could live with their body shape on the 251, the 47, the 800, and even the 12, but the 49 and 67 are just too far removed from the shape of the original for me. But that seems to be their thing... every line has a shape that is used for every mic.
Humm never really though about the shape of the body or grill
The thing that got me interested in ADK and auditioning their 251 along with their 67 and 47 (either of which I presumed I would going home with) Was when Chuck Ainlay (who has a vintage 251) gave it a glowing review in some article I read.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 07-01-2022, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Humm never really though about the shape of the body or grill
The thing that got me interested in ADK and auditioning their 251 along with their 67 and 47 (either of which I presumed I would going home with) Was when Chuck Ainlay (who has a vintage 251) gave it a glowing review in some article I read.
I've never sang into a vintage 67 but I've had a hunch the mic would suit me since I learned that Warren Zevon used it on a lot of his recordings.

Some months ago, a friend of mine loaned me his FrankenSeven (I'm not sure what else to call it). It's a kit that easily replaces the guts of a TLM67 or a U87ai. He owns the 87ai and he bought the ioAudio mod that was selling for $1K years ago. At some point, he replaced the bv12 transformer with an authentic Neumann bv12. He also replaced the tube with something better that he bought from a tube guru who people rave about.

Hearing myself through that convinced me I want a 67. I thought about buying one of those kits if it comes up used on Reverb but by the time I get the kit and a used TLM67, I'd be into it for well over $3k. And if I could find a Neumann bv12 transformer, I'm sure I'd be adding another $600 to buy it and have it installed. So I'd be close to $4K in the end and that feels like too much for what I'd have.

Warm came out with a clone recently but it doesn't sound like a 67 to me. I've heard a couple of others over the years but none of them impressed me. There's clearly something difficult to nail about the U67 sound. The Beesneez is the closet I've heard so far. Yes, it's a bit short of air on top and I don't think it's quite as full on the bottom, but I have three tube pres and I'm betting one of them can make up for that a bit. I think my Hendy DaVinci might do it. I'm also planning on adding a Pultec clone from Audioscape, and that might get me even closer. The BU67 feels like the right move.

But it will have to wait a little bit. I just ordered new racks for my studio. I'm going to reorganize the room entirely and dump my monster 42u tall rack (it's a 20u straight rack to which I bolted a 22u slant rack on top). I've had it a long time, before I made my current room my recording room, and it's never been a great fit in here for a few reasons... because it's so tall, it bounces a lot of sound around this not so big room, also, it's not easy to reach everything on it from my seat in front of the computer. The biggest problem with it, however, is it forces me to set up against a long wall.

Today, I bought a pair of Odyssey Carpeted 20u racks and a Gator 8u rack. The plan is to use the 8u for my 4 patchbays and 2 interfaces. Everything else goes in the 20u racks. This will let me change my setup to the short wall like it should be. I'll also be able to set my monitors a little bit wider and not as close to the wall. It's going to be a lot of work but the end result should be a lot better than I have it right now.

YouTube
Old 07-02-2022, 03:35 PM

Glad to see ADK getting some love. I have a TC67AU and one of the T FET Vienna - 12. Both stellar mics at reasonable price points. Would love to have a Z-Mod, but way out of my price range.

Larry is a cool guy also. Met him in person years ago at NAMM, and have had a few phone conversations with him.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:27 AM

Not that I have a good ear .. But the BU67 had a little more presence, a little more clarity on the female voice
Old 07-08-2022, 12:26 PM

In the Beezneez clip there's a sharp little tickle happening in the open vowel sounds that I really don't care for. And she's singing very softly. If she were singing louder or you tried to EQ in some brightness, I think it's possible that that tickle might become very pronounced.

Couch Standards
Old 07-08-2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
In the Beezneez clip there's a sharp little tickle happening in the open vowel sounds that I really don't care for. And she's singing very softly. If she were singing louder or you tried to EQ in some brightness, I think it's possible that that tickle might become very pronounced.
This is probably what I heard also... but being a novice I couldn't put it into the correct wordage or saw it as a problem.
But most likely your right about it becoming an issue with a louder source
Old 07-09-2022, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I hear it but I think it's something that sounds like it can be controlled either through parametric eq or with something like the Oeksound Soothe.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD