The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2022, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

I prefer to remove the tuner, but often forget. Then I must open 5 or 6 cases to locate the tuner when I need it, next.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:35 AM

however if you have one of them D'Addario tuners that hide inside your sound hole, you've achieved greatness!!!!

regarding leaving them on...

not a fantastic idea with Nitro finished guitars, especially newer ones where the stuff hasn't fully cured yet

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-28-2022, 06:37 AM

I just leave it on. I've got one on each of my guitars that are uncased and hanging on my wall. My only concern, originally, was there might be some kind of reaction between the finish on the headstock and the padding on the tuner clamp. After checking numerous times in the early months, I've found this was not an issue with any of my guitars. Do whatever works for you.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 01-28-2022, 06:39 AM

Sometimes it bugs me that tuners are left on guitars. But to each his own.

I use an app on my phone. I do carry an clip on for quick touchups but it comes off when finished. Honestly it doesn't get used that much.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 01-28-2022, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
Justin Guitar has his tuner left on the headstock in may of his videos.
Yes. On his Froggy Bottom guitar. A Unitune! I leave mine on the headstock, but I only play at home. If I played out, I'd definitely leave it on the headstock. By the time I got to Headstock...

Has anyone ever received a comment about tuners on headstocks from a non-guitar-player? Curious.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
This was the thing to do back in the seventies - now it just means your lazy !
Wait... what? I have a little SnapOn wire cutter in my guitar
case now. Looping the strings takes a whole lot more effort
than snipping them off...

-Mike
Old 01-28-2022, 07:21 AM

I am always annoyed to see a really good guitar played with one on the headstock - you can't read the label!

On my own, I leave them off when not being used. Unless it has just been restrung there is little need to tweak while playing. Years ago, I left one on a '67 D12-20 while it was cased and when I removed it, found the spot where it had been attached was far shinier the the rest of the headstock. It remained that way for as long as I owned it, and that annoyed me. With some tuners and nitro finish there is far greater concern.

My tuners stay in my gig bag unless I am actively using them. One and a backup are always with me, no matter which guitar I have at the time.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:29 AM

I almost never use the tuner at home, although every once in a blue moon I have a day when the ears just don't seem to work. I don't usually leave it on while performing, but I play a lot with fingers and not a great deal of pressure at that, so the guitar tends to stay in tune.

But I'm not offended if someone else leaves the tuner on. There are things that bother me, but that just isn't one of them.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-28-2022, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I leave the tuner in place while I’m playing. Whatever visually jarring element the tuner might introduce, in terms of keeping and holding an audience it’s much better to have the tuner in place to use as needed rather than disrupt the flow of the performance by putting the tuner on, tuning the strings, then taking it off.

It’s all a matter of priorities, and for me keeping things moving right along is top priority.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
This for sure. My guitar is a performance tool, not a museum piece for display purposes.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-28-2022, 07:35 AM

That’s why I use a sound hole tuner.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

On my mandolins, I use that small D'Addario tuner that replaces one of the screws from the [string-]tuners' plate to hold it on behind the headstock. Works well enough and it's out of sight from a couple feet away.

I had one of those on one guitar, but I found there's really not a good place for it on a guitar with one of those diamond-shaped volutes, like my OM has. When I was playing out, I always leave those Snark-style things clipped on, but would take them off before storing the guitar away in the case if it was something I cared about. (I have a couple guitars I don't care about )
Old 01-28-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
As if I do not have enough real things to worry about, two and a half years into my guitar journey, and four months into fingerstyle work, I just can't get this question out of my head.
When I tune my guitar with a headstock device, I attach, tune and remove. But, I see that others skip the final step. They leave that plastic digital device clamped unceremoniously to the top of the their impeccable, hand-crafted, fully pampered, wooden object of desire. Frankly, it looks to me like some orphaned after-thought of a plastic star placed atop a lovely fir tree otherwise painstakingly trimmed for Christmas.
Am I right. Or is this just another thing in my life that I need to put in my rearview mirror. If I can.
David
I agree! As soon as the guitar is in tune, the tuner comes off. Thankfully, I can tune my guitar without one .

There is an other option from D'Addario. They have a verrrrry small one (Micro Tuner) that attaches to their Artist Capo, as well as to a headstock. When used on the capo, it's only there when the capo is on the guitar. When it is used on the headstock, it's nearly un-noticeable. They also have one that clips inside the soundhole (Micro Soundhole tuner).
2011 Taylor 814ce
2015 Taylor 356ce (12 string)
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70
Old 01-28-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Same folks who used to keep loops of untrimmed strings adorning the headstocks, you know, REAL guitar players.
Another one of my pet peeves!
2011 Taylor 814ce
2015 Taylor 356ce (12 string)
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70
Old 01-28-2022, 08:29 AM

I first tune up and then take the tuner right off. I don't feel the need to retune after every couple minutes. My ears aren't that precise.

I don't like the look of the tuner on the headstock, but if you keep yours on, fine by me. <snicker, snicker>

scott
Old 01-28-2022, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

…sometimes I leave them on….sometimes I take them off……I don’t think it’s a matter of etiquette…..just preference and habit…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion