The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-20-2021, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

$1950. !!! Yeow...you can find used Tourings for that price. As much as I like the Cargo, the Touring is better.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
To me, it is the small body carbon fiber guitars that really benefit the most from that material due to the small size, big sound factor.
I think this portion of your comment in post #9 is spot on. While the midrange in these smaller bodied CF guitars is always pronounced (physics), you still get great clarity and punchiness. Often it is that clarity that is so lacking in smaller bodied guitars from the wooden varieties.

Below is one of my favorite videos that compares many of the most popular travel sized CF guitars (just wish the X7 was in here too). To my ears they all sound great. A bit dated as the Touring and OF660 have had updates, but pretty good anyway.

Old 12-20-2021, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
$1950. !!! Yeow...you can find used Tourings for that price. As much as I like the Cargo, the Touring is better.
The one thing the Cargo has going for it over the Touring (other than its interesting uniqueness) is that the string spacing is wider, making it just that bit more fingerstyle friendly.

I do think that if I had to choose between them in a guitar shop for the first time, it would be difficult. The Touring is definitely more refined, polished, but the Cargo has a certain patina about it plus the wider string spacing. As for sound, I like them both, though the Touring is more balanced.

Tony
Old 12-20-2021, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
A boy named Jessie
OK, I recall Jessie from those early days.

Tony
Old 12-20-2021, 04:29 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
OK, I recall Jessie from those early days.

Tony
Yeah, me too. Jesse came in like gangbusters at MacNichol and posted just a bit here when MN shutdown, then he petered-out altogether. Actually, that happens with a lot of members. Then there are those of us who are slow and steady, in it for the long-haul. I learn something all the time here and there’s even so much more I could learn if I was more disciplined about putting it into practice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber