The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-14-2014, 06:32 AM

Thanks Maurer!
Yes, it is the one I started way back there in August. It's 13-1/2" with a 24.9" scale. Only deviation from original is my ladder bracing and the ladder purfling.
I love the pin knot too, and don't forget the run out, stacked heel and the headstock/peghead joint!
Let the guitar "Royalists" think what they may...
I will be keeping this one along with my last 12-1/2" oak parlor. I really don't recommend lots of inlay on fingerboards as they are working surfaces. When refret time comes around, likely some of the inlay would be sanded off and have to be replaced, especially on a radius F/B.
I just had to try one...
Old 02-14-2014, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haans View Post
Thanks Maurer!
Yes, it is the one I started way back there in August. It's 13-1/2" with a 24.9" scale. Only deviation from original is my ladder bracing and the ladder purfling.
I love the pin knot too, and don't forget the run out, stacked heel and the headstock/peghead joint!
Let the guitar "Royalists" think what they may...
I will be keeping this one along with my last 12-1/2" oak parlor. I really don't recommend lots of inlay on fingerboards as they are working surfaces. When refret time comes around, likely some of the inlay would be sanded off and have to be replaced, especially on a radius F/B.
I just had to try one...
"Royalists"; too funny; I think you've been successful driving them away to their own territory.

With recent builds, and with what you'll be finishing this spring you're going to have a fleet of great builds coming out of your shop. I hope to see some of them before they get shipped (especially that hormigo GC).

The parlor you're keeping, is that the one with the ladder bracing I played on my last visit? That's a special one. Are you still thinking of doing a GC with ladder bracing?

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 02-15-2014, 07:07 AM

Thanks Chuck!
I have to tip my hat to FDR for that "Royalist" comment. Thought it appropriate.
I do have a lot of finishing to do, and looks like I will be able to start that next week. I'm anxious to hear the Hormigo myself, wish I could find more. However, it will be likely April or May before it is finished.
Yes, I will be keeping "that" parlor. Aside from being BRW instead of white oak, this concert guitar seems to be rapidly assuming the same traits tonally, and I really can't wait to build a GC-6 with the same bracing pattern. I'll have to think about what back to use...Malaysian Blackwood? BRW? Oak? The Tree?
Old 02-15-2014, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Haans, As always, That's Beautiful, thanks so much for sharing.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:48 AM

Thanks Nort!
Spent half a day playing it yesterday and it's coming around very fast. Glad I replaced the Larson laminated X with ladder bracing. There is just something about it! Very strong, tonally...
Old 02-25-2014, 07:40 AM

Well, after completing the Stahl, I decided to rip the top off my GC-6 BRW and replace it with ladder bracing. Here is some of the work.

I decided to retop the instrument with abalone trim.

Abalone is tapped in and broken as it is tapped to fit into the curve of the purfling.

The green in the purfling really "pops" the green abalone.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:06 AM

Truly fine looking Haans!
Just noticed the shaping of the pg at the waist, nice work.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:15 AM

Is this the BRW GC 6 string? What tonal differences are you shooting for in changing the top bracing? Lovely work .. as always!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:05 AM

Thanks, guys!
Joe, you probably know that Larsons did that on PS and other guitars because there just wasn't any room for a regular pickguard placement. I thought about a cloud pickguard, but they just don't protect the proper area.

I don't plant a finger myself, but my wife does.
Maurer, it is the X braced BRW I had a while back with the very dark back. Didn't like the peghead and wanted to build a ladder GC-6, so this was the quickest option. It should have a clearer, crisper tone and also louder (not that the X braced one was quiet). I have been moving up the sizes on ladder bracing to see how they sound on larger guitars.
Gonna make that Stelle auditorium oak 6 someday...
Old 02-26-2014, 09:53 AM

Haans ... here's a Larson p-guard shape to consider:

Old 02-26-2014, 10:49 AM

I love the look of your instruments Haans, and am enjoying this post. Thank you for posting.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:13 AM

Thank you Jason, you are one of the ones I do this for.
That's some mini pickguard, Maurer. I know they did a lot of different things with pickguards including some of those huge ones that almost cover the whole treble side all the way up to the neck. Never liked those much as I'm not a strummer.
I wonder if folks picked back farther toward the bridge back then...
Old 02-28-2014, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Haans -

The GC-6 looks great. Really like your style.

jm
Old 03-02-2014, 07:55 AM

Thank you jmat!
Neck is almost done and I will post a couple photos of the instrument before readying it for finishing.
Looks like I might even get to start spraying in a couple of weeks! Pretty anxious to see how this one sounds...
Old 03-03-2014, 03:15 PM

Here are a few photos before final sanding...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop