The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-12-2008, 03:59 AM

Man....I tell you what Rick, you can play! I thought at first i was hearing Maury Mechelson (sp?) jim's lead guy! Where did you learn to record like that? I hate to give your a toothache with all the sweetness but man I like the way you laid it all out and your voice compliments Croce's well! For the Heck of it if you have time do "Operator" and "Ive got a name". I loved it, Croce is who inspired me to learn to play the guitar, well one of my bigger influences. Did you submit for the CD? Very nice at playing, great recording too!

Sammy
Old 01-12-2008, 01:52 PM

Sammy, wow man, thanks soooo much for the encouragement! I am working on "Operator" right now, which will take me to yet another level of playing. The tab I have for that one is very challenging for me.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:07 PM

nice work as usual Rick.................intense guitar work !!!! I think this is your best guitar work yet..............can't wait to hear Operator as it is one of my favorites...................sorry it took me so long to post a comment, I'm usually right on top of that....
Old 01-12-2008, 07:17 PM

Default Good job Rick

I do like the song and I really like your playing. That is an especially hard song due to he strange rhythm and the fact that it doesn't flow like many of Jim's songs.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Sammy, wow man, thanks soooo much for the encouragement! I am working on "Operator" right now, which will take me to yet another level of playing. The tab I have for that one is very challenging for me.
Great job Rick. Have you checked out Pete Huttlinger's DVD with Tab from Homespun tapes? He does a very nice interpretation of Jim Croce's music and you may find it helpful in some of your work. I have liked Jim Croce's music since the first time I heard it as a kid in the mid 70's. Keep up the good work.
Collings CW EIR 2006
Collings D2H 2011
Collings CW MhA 2011
Collings D1 2012

Last edited by kpbeddin; 01-12-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john clearview View Post
Deadhead,

As Jim Croce fan, your comment " I wonder how well received by main stream public Croce would be if he emerged onto the music scene today?" rang my bell. I have never thought about that.

I play Croce alot, two songs in each of my sets are his. I'd play more but I don't dare ( I try to bring a diverse program ).
The Croce songs really bring on the intense compliments in the breaks, however I play 40 plus crowds ( bar rooms /cafes ). I can't really measure the impact it has on the younger visitors.

John
Croce was long gone by the time I started listening to his stuff. My favorites are "Time In A Bottle" and "Just Have to Say I Love You In A Song."

After a while (I was 17 at the time), I discussed Croce with my dad. "No wonder he killed himself." I said. My dad, without missing a beat, responded "I believe he died in a car accident."

Yes, I do think Rick did a nice job with the piece. A lot of Croce stuff is harder than it sounds.

Ovation CSE24
Old 01-12-2008, 11:46 PM

Matt, Keith, Sam, and Louie,

Again, thanks for the comments. It is nice to have so many Croce fans on the forum. I also recorded this: Time In A Bottle some time back. There are both things I really like and things I need to improve on in this recording, but I think it works well. By the way, Croce died in a plane crash, **** shame!
Old 01-13-2008, 08:38 PM

Default Time in a Bottle

Yes, Jim and his partner both went out in the plane accident. If you really like acoustic guitar then you have to appreciate these two even if you aren't a fan of their tunes. Anyway, you really capture the guitar well in this song. Great job.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell