The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-23-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I have a Lucky 13 that really wants a string change right now, and a set of ball-end nylons on hand in the string box. Maybe I should try it??
I'm about 500 miles from my Lucky13 at the moment, and I'd given the guitar a new set of strings just before I left. Might be a while before I take the plunge in that direction.

I have my X20 with me, but I don't see this guitar being able to do as well with nylon strings as my Lucky. I could bee wrong, but I'm not there yet. Not to mention that I just put some new strings on the X20 too.

I like nylon. I have a baritone uke and several smaller cousins waiting for me at home. Plus I got to play a classical guitar for a while last week too. A certain X10 savant has been taunting me with the idea of going classical for a while, so we'll see what happens here. I am quite excited for the outcome of the proposed X7 that started this thread.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 08-24-2018, 03:37 PM

Capt. and EvanB,

Is there anything you guys don't have any knowledge or experience?! Ok, here we go, what is the winning lotto numbers for this weekend?

P.s. I need it to make a deposit for woody X7.🤙🏻
Old 08-24-2018, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
Capt. and EvanB,

Is there anything you guys don't have any knowledge or experience?! Ok, here we go, what is the winning lotto numbers for this weekend?

P.s. I need it to make a deposit for woody X7.🤙🏻
I can't speak for Evan, but I have lived long enough to be able to learn from a lot of mistakes.

If I had any idea of the winning lotto numbers, you would be reading about me somewhere besides this sub-forum. That would be the true definition of... a fortune teller. (rimshot)
Old 08-24-2018, 06:11 PM
Guest 928

I could tell you, but by Vegas rules I would then have to have you eliminated.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
Ok, here we go, what is the winning lotto numbers for this weekend?
I don't hold with the Vegas rules so I will give them to you here, but it's up to you to figure out my binary code and where the breaks are between the numbers.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 08-24-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post

Doesn't anyone speak in base 3 anymore???
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-25-2018, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Doesn't anyone speak in base 3 anymore???
Sure...

A 1, and a 2, and a 1, 2, 10, 11...
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-25-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Sure...

A 1, and a 2, and a 1, 2, 10, 11...

Nice play !!
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-25-2018, 08:03 PM

Puhahahaha,
You guys are killing me!
Haven't had belly laughs like this in a while🤣
Old 08-26-2018, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Gitaman;

Yes you can, if you are also happy with a muted sound. The stronger face of a steel string instrument does not resonate well with lower tension strings.

There may be one exception. A credible forum member has put nylons on what I believe was a Blackbird steel string and says that the guitar competes well as a nylon string guitar.

One dream for CF is that the same guitar can be used for either steel or nylon strings. Brunner made such an instrument with interchangeable necks--but I don't know how that worked out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
The Lucky13 might be delicate enough to pull this off. I hadn't thought about this until somebody's uncle mentioned it. Know which Blackbird was used for this experiment?
It was the Savoy and here's an update...

The nylon Savoy has become my all-time favorite nylon guitar, and there have been many including the Emerald X10N and the Rainsong NP12.

Both of those are great guitars, but my preference is with the "nylon" Savoy for a variety of reasons; tone and playability at the top of the list (volume is the about the same as the X10N).

And the tuners work!...

The problem with the X10N I have mentioned in other threads has to do with the tuners. The knob on the low E string started spinning making the guitar somewhat useless.

No response from Emerald when I asked them about it.

Eventually, I fixed it with some super glue, but it's still a little loose and I expect the other tuners to also fail.

They do look nice, but they have always "creaked" and felt a bit "cheesy," especially compared to the Gotoh 510s on the Savoy, which work fine and precise with the nylon strings.

I actually suspect the entire Emerald incident is part of a conspiracy to sell Irish Glue...

Old 08-26-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumalot View Post

The problem with the X10N I have mentioned in other threads has to do with the tuners. The knob on the low E string started spinning making the guitar somewhat useless.

No response from Emerald when I asked them about it.

Eventually, I fixed it with some super glue, but it's still a little loose and I expect the other tuners to also fail.

They do look nice, but they have always "creaked" and felt a bit "cheesy," especially compared to the Gotoh 510s on the Savoy, which work fine and precise with the nylon strings.

I actually suspect the entire Emerald incident is part of a conspiracy to sell Irish Glue...
I found something. If you read the whole discussion here on StewMac you'll find that this was a problem with Schertler's ebony buttons in the past which has been corrected several years ago. I am afraid you got a bad batch. I will quote the relevant bits from the discussion by a customer named "mbuilder":

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuilder on StewMac. Friday, March 22, 2013
Further investigation revealed the guitar had been in high humidity. It has already been pointed out that grain of the Ebony is in the wrong direction, but that is unlikely to be a structural problem because the tuners are so smooth. However, under high humidity the Ebony will take up moisture and expand across the grain. The hole will get bigger, the ribbed brass insert in the knob will come loose and the tuner will fail. It looks as if the insert is glued, but in this case the glue failed in all 6 tuners since all were loose, but only two failed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuilder on StewMac. Sunday, May 18, 2014
I thought an update is necessary. Schertler have changed the grain orientation of the Ebony buttons, so they should not come loose in high humidity any more.
Ironical, isn't it? A carbon fiber guitar with humidity sensitive tuner buttons.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 08-26-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwahine View Post
Yeah, I get the steel vs nylon debate. The reason I prefer nylon probably comes from being predominantly an ukulele player. I have never been able to get used to the squeak from steel strings, though I would not want to not have a steel string at my disposal, as I think some songs sound better on one, some better on the other.

Plus, I don’t sing or play strumming chords much, I play fingerstyle. So the wider nut and softer strings just seem to work better for me. I am probably also biased as Keola Beamer and Ian O’Sullivan are my two favorite players, and both do nylon slack key guitar.

I know I am in the minority though, I have a friend that is a professional musician and he is so disappointed in me for preferring nylon, much to his chagrin as he is an “all steel, all the time” kind of guy.
I prefer Nylon. Well carbon strings really. Come to Spain and see nylon everywhere.

I think steel is great for strumming, but nothing beats a flamenco guitar for fingerpicking stuff And so much more comfortable too!
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 08-26-2018, 03:05 PM
Guest 928

Strumalot;

You really do change my world order with your comments regarding the Savoy. The comparisons you make are stunning. Darn you. Just about the time I settled in on my guitar selections.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:54 PM

All this nylon talk has got me wondering.....ha ... just kidding...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber