The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-01-2010, 08:16 PM

Default old factory Composite Acoustics

Curious if anyone had compared the new factory Composite Acoustic guitars to the old factory ones made several years ago. You can see the older guitars in the used market and they tend to be a little cheaper than the new models. I just wonder if the improvement were mainly in the appearance or were their significant improvements to the sound.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 01-01-2010, 08:35 PM

In comparing old CAs with newer models, remember that they used to make guitars in both a lower end player series and a higher end performer series - while now they only make the equivalent of the performer series. The differences in bracing between the two can be noticeable. Beyond that there are some other changes you might notices, like the older models having wood fretboards, and regular silver-nickle frets rather than the newer stainless steel.

My impression from the few folks who have older models is that they are great guitars - and given the recent price increases - very good value.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:39 PM

With the older GX, X, or Xi models you will find no difference in build quality or tone, but the new Legacy dreadnaught models have gone through some major changes like brace placement, nut width (now 1-34") and body depth. The older dreads were much more bass heavy as opposed to the current Leagcy which has a more balanced tone making them much more versatile guitars in my opinion.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpman View Post
The older dreads were much more bass heavy
Yep, especially in the "Vintage" voicing. I've had mine over five years and am still enjoying it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber