The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-05-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I've always enjoyed that tune... listening and playing. Never really got all the critical comments about it, unless folks just didn't like its universality. I like it.
Same here, Kerbie, I like the song. I gigged it once on a doubleneck, I felt like a rock star .
Old 12-06-2020, 11:42 PM

In the UK, this was banned in guitar shops. Another that was banned back in the 60s/70s was Anji by Bert Jansch (Davy Graham).
Old 12-12-2020, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
Yeah I don't get the sarcasm. I wonder how many of the sarcastic people can play it from beginning to end including the lead guitar? And probably like some of Boston's songs can sing the vocals?

This guy does a really good job for a cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qympYFHt0eA

I love how the bass player basically does the lead.
They did a nice job on this, but I really missed hearing the guitar solo. I really appreciated the job the bass player did on the song. To me the bass accompaniment was much more interesting than the guitar accompaniment.

The best version of this I have ever seen on you Tube is HERE, from the Kennedy Center performed by Heart and a big gospel choir. Led Zeppelin was being honored and they seemed to get a kick out of the performance. 29+ million views. Ann Wilson did a killer job on the lead vocal.

I have never learned to play this piece. It just seemed so overdone by so many guitar players. Ironically, though, I enjoy the song immensely when it's well done.

I don't know... Maybe I should learn this after all these years, solo and all.

- Glenn
Old 12-13-2020, 04:15 PM

Nothing wrong with learning it (I did about 40 years ago). Many of us play classical pieces that are way older.

But I completely understand that it has become a cliché - like many other highly popular songs that have been played by 1000's of people over 5 decades.

It's one thing to learn a cliché tune as an exercise. It's quite another to insist on playing it in public.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
SWTH is probably in the top 10 all time baby making songs.
That's Funny!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write