The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-26-2020, 10:15 AM

Like many others have said here, my wife and I will be alone this Thanksgiving. We're anticipating a move so we're also in the process of ridding ourselves of all the extra stuff we've spent 20+ years accumulating, which includes our deep-freeze.

Therefore, we're doing pork ribs this Thanksgiving along with what we consider the more "traditional" fixings: mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberries, special fruit salad, stuffing (sans turkey) and pumpkin pie.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
PJ
Old 11-26-2020, 10:40 AM

The standard Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and rolls. Smaller than usual this year. My daughter and the 2 youngest grandkids are coming, no one else. Our oldest grandkid is experiencing adult life in Missouri as she has a holiday job at Wal Mart and can't get here.

My best buddy is on the kidney transplant list and has to be really careful about exposure so we are taking them curbside dinners. Susan is trading us two pieces of apple pie. That's a deal!!
Old 11-26-2020, 11:54 AM

Basil pesto chicken pizza and a movie marathon.

We have no kids and after parents and other close older relatives passed away, this is something we did for years. Then we started sharing Thanksgiving with other couples (which we love). But this year’s situation has sent us back to our “just us” pizza/movie tradition.

Please...everyone have a safe and happy day!

Dirk
Old 11-26-2020, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Smoked turkey and other stuff. My daughter takes care of it. She brings it all up to our place and finished it all in the morning. I should add that my niece is working today, double time pay, so we do it tomorrow.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 11-26-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
My sister is making the traditional, but I’m a plant based eater, so I can’t really eat any of it. 😥 Boo!
Sure you can. Just visualize carrots when eating!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 11-26-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Grilled wild-caught Alaskan Coho salmon fillets, oyster dressing, roasted green beans, and steamed broccoli. Penn State Berkey Creamery ice cream ("Death by Chocolate" and "Butter Pecan") for dessert.
Oh my!I grew up eating oyster dressing, so good. Please Fed-Ex some up to me. PayPal of course, Enjoy!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 11-26-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
Oh my!I grew up eating oyster dressing, so good.
A family tradition here as well.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 11-26-2020, 08:00 PM

Been having Thanksgiving at the cousins for more than 20 years. Then we would smoke a turkey and have friends over onSaturday or Sunday. Had to improvise this year. Skipped the cousins entirely and planned for just the 2 of us to have thanksgiving together. Ordered the smallest frozen turkey I could find. Turned out to be 14#s. Then, the turkey thawed munch faster than I anticipated and it had to be cooked. Adjusted plans to smoke the turkey last Sunday. Worked out really well as friends were available. Weather cooperated perfectly. Friends came by just as the turkey came out of the smoker. We sat out back and had socially distant drinks. The. I carved the bird and made everyone to go boxes which they took home for dinner. Paula and I had a great time getting it together and eating. Today we went with another tradition and did yard work and grilled. That was after I slept in and Paula made sandwiches for the food bank. We Had burgers, sprouts, grilled onions n stuffed tomatoes and salad. No room for desert. tunes listened to while prepping most appropriately included Bread n Gravy by Ethel Waters, and Cornbread and Butterbeans by The Carolina Chocolate Drops. Good week. Talk to more family tonite and lunch in a park with another cousin tomorrow. Making it work out really well.
Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 11-26-2020, 09:11 PM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:19 AM

Wild venison backstraps with sautéed onions, a baked potato, and green beans.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:39 PM

We normally have a big family Thanksgiving at my sister's but this year it was just the two of us at home. We skipped the scalloped oysters and squash this year.

Turkey
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Creamed onions
Sausage cornbread stuffing
Green bean casserole
Pumpkin pie
Old 11-28-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC1702 View Post
We normally have a big family Thanksgiving at my sister's but this year it was just the two of us at home. We skipped the scalloped oysters and squash this year.

Turkey
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Creamed onions
Sausage cornbread stuffing
Green bean casserole
Pumpkin pie
Jim- I've never heard of Sausage cornbread stuffing but I already know I'm a fan. Do you cook the sausage and cornbread before stuffing the turkey? Or is it cooked on the side and not stuffed?
Old 11-30-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
My sister is making the traditional, but I’m a plant based eater, so I can’t really eat any of it. 😥 Boo!
That's always tough. Normally, we get together with some friends for a vegan Thanksgiving but this year, we had a seitan pot pie.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

My wife woke up Thanksgiving morning very nauseated and spent most of the day in bed recovering. So I had a bowl of chile for Thanksgiving dinner and she had a piece of toast.

We made up for it the next day. Since there is only the two of us, we skipped the whole turkey. We cooked some chicken in a sauce made of lemon, garlic and rosemary, green beans, sweet potato, and cornbread stuffing with cranberry sauce.

We tend to avoid sweets in the house, but we broke down and bought a mountain berry-apple crumb pie from the Julian Pie Company, a small mountain town about an hour east of here, and topped it off with Haagen Das Vanilla bean ice cream.

A day late, but it sure was good.
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 11-30-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Jim- I've never heard of Sausage cornbread stuffing but I already know I'm a fan. Do you cook the sausage and cornbread before stuffing the turkey? Or is it cooked on the side and not stuffed?
We don't stuff the bird, we make it as a side dish.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic