The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-23-2020, 02:54 PM

Default Yamaha FGX5 Resonance Issue

I ordered a Yamaha FGX5 about two weeks ago. There is something wrong with the one I received. It has hardly any resonance/projection at all. The saddle is perfectly flat and fits snug into the slot and new strings did nothing to help. My PRS electric is louder and more robust when played without an amp! The clamp-on tuner that I have used for years can hardly read the vibrations to register the notes. The FGX5s are so difficult to find in stock that I'd rather fix this one than return it and wait for the next batch to arrive. Any suggestions as to what might be the cause of this problem would be very greatly appreciated.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:07 PM

Sorry to say, there's not going to be a quick/easy fix for this other than sending it back for a different one.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the reply! What could be the cause of such an issue? The guitar looks very well made, and is without damage. The ONLY thing I can think of is where the slot meets the bridge and Piezo.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:28 AM

I'm certainly no expert but I would doubt that your troubles are caused by a poorly fitted pickup in the slot as this would be unlikely to cause the all encompassing lack of resonance and projection you are experiencing. In the event that it was the cause. I would guess that there is a major issue with the bridge slot or even the bridge which would be expensive to rectify. Yamaha guitars do not usually suffer from poor build quality though there has been one report I have seen where the China built FGX3 had a slight saddle/pickup issue (https://youtu.be/Hh3radBnXWs).
From what you say, it sounds like there is something "dead" in your guitar and you could risk invalidating your warranty trying to sort it out (unless it was done by an approved workshop under warranty), and even then not get the result you want.
I'm not sure what part of the world you are in, but through personal experience I know that there has been a shortage of FG5's over the past few months. Were you lucky to get a rare post-covid import or could it be a pre-lockdown dud that's been sitting around for a while? My advice would be to return it and wait to get the guitar you will be happy with. Best wishes.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

Default Could be a loose brace?

That's very strange?

The only thing I can think of is that one (or more) braces may not be firmly glued. I have personally seen this phenomena on mountain dulcimers, where an instrument was totally "dead" because of one loose brace. Once the brace was glued back firmly the instrument sprung back to life.

Obviously I can't say that this is the issue you have but I was shocked at how much difference to the resonance of a mountain dulcimer that this issue created. It could be the same for a guitar that has a brace, or some other joint somewhere, not 100% effectively glued together.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair