The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-20-2020, 04:54 PM

Lightbulb What's your fav modern Fender electric guitar amp (under 25 watts)?

Thinking of buying a Princeton, a 57 custom champ reissue or a Deluxe 57 custom reissue. Come into some money recently and it's absolutely burning a hole in my pocket.

I want to buy a Fender as I am drawn to the name (which i know is sad, but in the past when i've bought equipment not on my "name list" I end up pining for the stuff with the name anyway).

I am going to try out the above amps soon but wanted you guys/girls opinions.

Thanks,

L
Old 11-20-2020, 05:07 PM

Depends on the guitar and type of music you play. Personally, I wouldn’t play thru a Princeton again if you paid me. Champ if you want to overdrive the daylights out of it. Delux if you want some flexibility.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:10 PM

I have about 35 guitar amps, most of them some sort of Tweed. My current favorite for pretty much all uses is a Victoria 35210, which is a faithful homage to the Fender Super, but better quality.

I have 4 Victorias, and a slew of Fenders, Carr, Tone King, etc. and that one ends up being the one I grab dang near all the time.

If you have the money I *highly* recommend it.

A bunch of stuff...lol

Last edited by kego; 11-23-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Depends on the guitar and type of music you play. Personally, I wouldn’t play thru a Princeton again if you paid me. Champ if you want to overdrive the daylights out of it. Delux if you want some flexibility.
It's bluesy rock that my band do or used to do before Covid. Did you have a bad experience with Princetons?
Old 11-20-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kego View Post
I have about 35 guitar amps, most if them some sort of Tweed. My current favorite for pretty much all uses is a Victoria 35210, which is a faithful homage to the Fender Super, but better quality.

I have 4 Victorias, and a slew of Fenders, Carr, Tone King, etc. and that one ends up being the one I grab dang near all the time.

If you have the money I *highly* recommend it.
I'll see if I can check out a victoria. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:53 PM

The definition of "modern" is player age dependent So I'd have to go with the Bassbreaker 15. I dig everything about it including the visual aesthetics.

Old 11-20-2020, 05:56 PM

I think you'll like it. They take pedals really well (although I normally only use a reverb or delay and a clean boost, but I do have a big pedal board that comes out occasionally).

If you like the Tweed sound they are hard to beat, and they are big enough and have enough head room for dang near any gig, and if you need more volume you can always mic it. I have a Victoria deluxe that sounds great, but struggles a bit with headroom in larger rooms.

I also have a Victoria 50212 and the Fender original Tweed Twin that are amazing amps, but a but too much for smaller rooms (plus they are heavier).

My favorite amp for a Les Paul is my Tone King Imperial, they are amazing together, but I'm not that fond of the Tone King with single coils. My Carr Rambler is another good all-around amp.

A bunch of stuff...lol
Old 11-20-2020, 06:28 PM

I guess I differ from someone upthread. My amp "hometown" is a 60's black-panel Princeton (the non-reverb model, something the current Fender Chris Stapleton signature model references).

This is not a amp to get amp distortion from, but I think it takes pedals well.

I respect the Deluxe Reverb, but I've never owned one. The current Tonemaster has some features that might attract someone who gigs a lot and has to tote their own gear and needs options. There are also Deluxe Reverb models currently sold that have alternate Bassman-like channels that are grittier.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 11-21-2020 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:47 PM

Here's a video from a couple years ago of my 35210 at an open jam so you can get some idea what it sounds like. The guitar I'm playing is a Collings I-35, effects are a tuner, delay (don't think I was using that), and a clean boost. Note the young Mathias Lattin joining in!

https://youtu.be/0m9xJduzDWI

Here's one with a Gibson 335...

https://youtu.be/ZvEJ4vdKtVg

A bunch of stuff...lol
Old 11-20-2020, 06:49 PM

Here are a couple using it with telecasters...

https://youtu.be/ie4UiM5dyrI

https://youtu.be/A3pF54MuR6c

...and a couple of my Tone King Imperial with a Les Paul...

https://youtu.be/dCZfoaLNxdE

https://youtu.be/Pp3YKHjQbn4

Hope those help at least an little!

A bunch of stuff...lol
Old 11-20-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
...I want to buy a Fender as I am drawn to the name...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
It's bluesy rock that my band do or used to do before Covid...
Let's see - you do bluesy rock, you're searching for something under 25 watts, and you're drawn to the Fender name...

Buy a tweed Blues Junior for the look and the name - and buy one of these for the features/tone/volume:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tube-combo-amp
Old 11-20-2020, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

I have a PRRI and a Bassbreaker. Both are nice is and I really don't feel "lacking".
Old 11-21-2020, 12:25 PM

I go back and forth between my Fender or Victoria Tweed Deluxes with the Pedal Steel player. I go for the Deluxe Reverb with the blues band with a B3 player.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:44 PM

I've had a Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb for a year now. Over the last 45 years I've played a top-boost Vox AC30, a 1965 original Deluxe and a Princeton Recording. Out of all these amps the Tonemaster has pushed the most buttons for me. Despite the absence of valves the sound is remakably close to that of my old 1965 Deluxe and has major advantages : 5 levels of power attenuation giving lots of high volume headroom AND low volume break-up; three impulse response settings on the XLR out are great for home recording; the standby switch mutes the speaker for silent output to PA or recording gear; 22lbs make it emminently portable for gigs; clean headroom makes it a great pedal platform; excellent blackface sound. Can't recommend it highly enough.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:15 PM

Princeton Reverbs are fantastic amps. And they take pedals well. I chose a Vintage Sound Amps "Vintage 15."

A 5e3 Tweed Deluxe would be great for Bluesy Rock. Wonderful amp but not as versatile as the PR. Lots of great Builders for these. Jim at Lil Dawg amps builds a great one that is very affordable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars