The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-13-2020, 05:23 AM

Cool Getting new gigs in today's venues

Hello All. I am retired and finally recovered from shoulder surgery, which has forced me to stop performing for the past year. Without discussing the impact of COVID, I am looking to get back into gigging, but have ben getting TOO much confusing input on how to get gigs. I live in the Raleigh NC area, and I am a 69 yr young musician.

I play cover music from the 50's through the 2000's, and want to do community events, wine lounges, clubs, parties...I.e. the usual.

Here is my question: Has Gig searching stayed the same? Do I need a website, a facebook page, Walking the streets and knocking on doors, uploaded youtube videos, First gigs are free....???

I did a studio CD and passed it around, but it did not pull very much.

You may respond to me here or at [email protected].

Side note: Am I too old to perform at these places and have to stick to senior locations only?

Thanks and blessings to all....MJ
Old 10-13-2020, 07:44 AM

I haven't searched for gigs in a long time, I've been working pretty steady for 10 years. I never play for free if anyone else is making money. Doing that just sets your rate ... zero to nothing.

I'm 66, and finding my audience is tough. "Our crowd" doesn't go to bars and clubs very much. Friends of mine work the "nursing home circuit", and that was lucrative, sometimes multiple gigs in a single day. But that's been changed by the pandemic, and those gigs aren't there anymore. Not something I cared to do, either.

Live music ain't what is used to be, and doesn't come with a paycheck anymore. Those days are long past.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:07 AM

Here's what worked for me, albeit this is all pre-2020:

I got involved in local acoustic music clubs (a bluegrass organization, folk/traditional arts club, old time fidllers) and attended jams. Had a lot of fun and met many other musicians. This led to some open mics and festivals with further networking opportunities.

I play many instruments at a mostly competent level. I was one of 1000's of intermediocre guitar players. But I was one of only a handful of mediocre mandolin players, and one of only a few fiddlers who could play without a score or chart. This led to many invitations to sit in with bands.

After becoming known in the local scene it was a lot easier to land gigs. Farmers markets and other public venues can help land future jobs. People saw us there and hired us for corporate events, private parties, etc.

This is all great for musicians like me in the dry dusty flyover country of eastern Washington - you're in Raleigh where you have real competition from much younger, cuter and talented players.....
Old 10-13-2020, 11:50 AM

+1 on lots of competition in Raleigh.

Farmer's Markets are almost always looking for someone to play. Of course, it probably doesn't pay much - tips from audience and vendors - but it pays a little and can lead to other gigs. I booked several good private parties (socially distanced!) from a steady farmer's market gig this summer. And getting tipped in groceries isn't half bad. It's an all ages audience, so being a senior isn't any issue.

Lots of bluegrass jams around here (east TN) as well, which are good for networking. Open mics too - like anything, some are better than others.

If you're out and you see someone doing what you'd like to do, find the manager/whoever is booking the place and tell them "Hey! I do that!". Helps not to be bashful, which if you're willing to play in front of an audience, you've at least got a handle on.

Aaaand, outdoor gigs are just about over for the season. With Covid, pretty sure gigs/jams/open mics are going to be scarce this winter. And indoor gigs, even if allowed, are likely to be sparsely attended.

My winter plans are building more guitars and practicing. Let those that need them chase the gigs.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

NEVER PLAY FOR FREE, unless that's what you really want your "gigging" persona to emulate...

Hell, I've been doing this for most of my own 69 years... I'm good at what I do, I don't BS about what I will or will not play, I have great equipment for live sound and let them know that I want to play at the correct volume for the room, I don't tell them I'm a "one man" rock band, and I don't do auditions... I keep my word with them, start on time, and always, to be a professional.

I will NOT play for an establish that doesn't treat their musicians well or are paying r below what the place itself is charging and pulling in...

At this point of my life, I play the songs I love and think people should never forget, and I play many different genres and styles... so, I find places where what I DO fits with what THEY want. I'm cognizant of the why businesses are in business in the first lace, and I know they want to make money... if I can fit in with that? Great. If not, I hope they find what will fit in... but I just move along to the next query.

The obvious glaring aspect missing from all the e-communications and such is any sort of "Real" relationship between the hirer and hiree... I meet folks face to face as much as possible (usually after phone contact); I'll go out of my way and take the time to look them in the eye while we speak...

MUCH more real that way...

Rather than worry about how much competition there is out there, rather try focusing on WHO you are as a singer/player and be at your best... have fun and trust yourself!

This ain't your first rodeo...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-13-2020, 04:53 PM

Smile Getting new gigs hasnt changed much

Thanks to all of you who responded. I can see that I got a range of thoughts and you more or less confirmed what I've known all along. And yes, there is a lot of competition in Raleigh, NC. But there are a lot of gigs out there, and I am sure that this winter is going to be slim pickin's. But I will pursue and lookk at my old list and polish up my sound and put my guitar on my back (its not too heavy!) and knock on doors.

That reminds me of something I did years ago. I went to the golf club lounge with my guitar, and after introducing myself and asking if he hired cover musicians, He asked me to play a song or two. I asked him his favorite composer, which was Neill Diamond. I played half-way through a song, and he hired me. It didnt pay much, but it got me started.......Hmmmm!.....Might try that again!

If anyone still wants to contribute to this string, please do. I have got to get back to playing, even if it is only 1-2x a month. I've got other hobbies that will fill in my time. ....

MJ
Old 10-13-2020, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

The member who sold me my Goodall Concert Jumbo is in Arkansas... lives in a "Golf Community" with a bunch of courses - and, of course, each course has a restaurant and a bar!

That may be an "as yet undiscovered" source, as a certain type of demographic would fit well there, while others might not quite fit.

Good luck!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-13-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicJohn View Post
Here is my question: Has Gig searching stayed the same? Do I need a website, a facebook page, Walking the streets and knocking on doors, uploaded youtube videos
Never a bad idea to stop in and see if you can talk in person with whoever books the music, but they will want to see your stuff online. A web site is good, a YouTube channel even better (although, as has been discussed here, you can have copyright issues with covers). A Facebook page is high up on the list, as you can post videos there (and get away with more covers) and they will want to cross-promote on Facebook when you're booked.

You can give them links to SoundCloud or Bandcamp, but videos are really where it's at, especially live ones, so they can see you actually do your thing.

I've gotten gigs by finding out the music contact at a venue from other musicians and sending them an email with links to my web site and YouTube channel. YouTube is now the equivalent of a demo tape/CD.

I don't have Instagram or Twitter, although some have told me I should, for audience engagment--especially important to promote yourself for "percentage" gigs. But the more internet/social media presence you have, the better.

You can take a look at my links below in my sig for examples.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Never a bad idea to stop in and see if you can talk in person with whoever books the music, but they will want to see your stuff online. A web site is good, a YouTube channel even better (although, as has been discussed here, you can have copyright issues with covers). A Facebook page is high up on the list, as you can post videos there (and get away with more covers) and they will want to cross-promote on Facebook when you're booked.

You can give them links to SoundCloud or Bandcamp, but videos are really where it's at, especially live ones, so they can see you actually do your thing.

I've gotten gigs by finding out the music contact at a venue from other musicians and sending them an email with links to my web site and YouTube channel. YouTube is now the equivalent of a demo tape/CD.

I don't have Instagram or Twitter, although some have told me I should, for audience engagment--especially important to promote yourself for "percentage" gigs. But the more internet/social media presence you have, the better.

You can take a look at my links below in my sig for examples.
Thanks Chipotle.....I've been hearing a lot about Youtube being like a demo CD. I have two songs on their. I have to get their URL and save it to my Reverbnation account and Facebook Acct.....And then I will go a knocking.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:08 PM

Question Thinking outside the Box

I am considering putting a quick setlist together for demo purposes; learn them really well, and then go around with my guitar and knock on doors. I am thinking, maybe, just maybe, one or two of these venues will ask me to perform on the spot....'Lets see how he does?'

I dont know. Thinking out loud here.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I am considering putting a quick setlist together for demo purposes; learn them really well, and then go around with my guitar and knock on doors. I am thinking, maybe, just maybe, one or two of these venues will ask me to perform on the spot....'Lets see how he does?'
I suppose it's possible, but unlikely tbh. Most would rather take your info and watch you on YouTube at their own convenience. Videos as simple as prop up your phone, start the video camera, step back and start playing can be all you really need, if they want to see you "live". I've handled the cover situation by making one "cover" video with 15-20 second snippets of various songs. (it's no guarantee it won't get flagged by YouTube but might be less likely).

I do recommend you have your setlist practiced and ready to go. Not because they might ask you to play on the spot, but because they might ask if you can play next Tuesday!
Old 10-28-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks Chipotle.....I've been hearing a lot about Youtube being like a demo CD. I have two songs on their. I have to get their URL and save it to my Reverbnation account and Facebook Acct.....And then I will go a knocking.
My advice to you is to get around 20 songs video'd, and then reduce them to 6 or 7. You want to make a great first impression.

YouTube is definitely the demo CD of today. Actual demo CDs are all but useless today for general use as many people don't own or have access to one.

Many decades ago, people would put actual time into checking you out. Those days are gone and venue owners generally don't have much free time.

Also, note that video is light years ahead of audio when it comes to getting gigs. Venue owners want to see you as well as hear you. All other things being equal, if you supply a Reverbnation link and someone else supplies a YouTube link, they will get hired instead of you.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 12-01-2020, 10:16 AM

Thumbs up Thank you All

I am going to incorporate all of your ideas and see what best fits me and my area, and then implement them. I understand a lot more now.

Keep strumming and thank you again...MJ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write