The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 12-05-2020, 07:03 PM

Default Computer speakers or near field monitors?

Was getting ready to pull the trigger on a pair of Presonus 3.5 monitors to have beside my computer then read that I may not like them since they don't "color" the music but are a flat response speaker more for mixing music then casual listening. Is that much of deal that I should go with computer speakers instead? I'm looking to spend $100 or less on speakers. I would like to have them on my sunporch, which is 12 x 17 so apart from listening to them while I work at the computer all day, I will also like to listen at night on the couch on the other side of the room. Suggestions? What do you use and like?
Old 12-05-2020, 07:57 PM
Musical minimalist

100.00 won't get you a whole lot - but if you can find a little more, these are a nice option:

https://www.klipsch.com/products/kli...mputer-speaker

For the last 15 years or so, I've used home audio equipment I've found locally on Craigslist for my main computer. Nice Denon receiver, a pair of nice Polk bookshelf speakers and a pair of metal adjustable height monitor stands and I'm not sure I have 100.00 into the whole rig

Old 12-06-2020, 04:51 AM

I do have a decent enough second reciever so maybe just a pair of bookshelf speakers would do too. I'll check on the Klipsch you suggested. There is a youtube site I like to compare speakers, it's called "digital stereophony".
Old 12-06-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuker View Post
Was getting ready to pull the trigger on a pair of Presonus 3.5 monitors to have beside my computer then read that I may not like them since they don't "color" the music but are a flat response speaker more for mixing music then casual listening. Is that much of deal that I should go with computer speakers instead? I'm looking to spend $100 or less on speakers. I would like to have them on my sunporch, which is 12 x 17 so apart from listening to them while I work at the computer all day, I will also like to listen at night on the couch on the other side of the room. Suggestions? What do you use and like?
Yes, true monitors are designed to present a true picture of what you are actually hearing but don't be swayed by that. There's NOTHING that colors sound in a worse way than standard computer speakers.

I have the Presonus Eris 5's because they were the largest model I could fit comfortably on my computer desk. The bigger the better if you like to hear the lower frequency content.

Six inch monitors are kind of the break over point for translating your recordings into how they were meant to be heard, smaller monitors require either adjusting your expectations or going with a subwoofer to augment the lower frequencies.

All of the small powered monitors are going to have the disadvantage of power cords and connecting cords to deal with, so they are not ideal to move around for different uses.

Consider trying my alternative to that.

I have a Creative D100 portable speaker that I carry around as portable sound which is actually quite nice and could be used for both computer use or for casual listening elsewhere. These portable speakers are normally rechargeable or use an AC adapter, can connect via bluetooth or a simple 3.5mm cable, and sound really good for their size. Mine has dual 3" stereo drivers and can get quite loud.

Here's example of using a portable speaker that shows my D100 "in use":

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/....php?p=6497035

Last edited by Rudy4; 12-06-2020 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:45 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuker View Post
I do have a decent enough second reciever so maybe just a pair of bookshelf speakers would do too. I'll check on the Klipsch you suggested. There is a youtube site I like to compare speakers, it's called "digital stereophony".
That would certainly be my choice. Whatever speakers you might end up with - try and find a way to get the tweeters at ear level (adjustable monitor stands are great) and make an equilateral triangle between your head and the speakers with them toe'd in a bit. That's how you'll achieve your best sound.

Old 12-06-2020, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

I have those speakers with my macbook. You are correct-good for recording/production, not so good for listening. I prefer a smaller AudioEngine pair
I bought a few years ago, but any small setup is going to need a sub to give full range.

For just listening, I would look for a dedicated computer audio system with a sub

https://www.klipsch.com/products/kli...iABEgIamPD_BwE

Bose has a set for $89 without bass module. I havent heard it, but it may be worth exploring.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

Last edited by dnf777; 12-06-2020 at 01:10 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN