The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-05-2020, 10:48 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default A Gentleman's Guide to Christmas Shopping for His Wife

In the lives of some husbands, Christmas shopping time looms as a time of discomfort. I've noticed that around this time of year, forums begin to ring with the anxious cries as good men uproot generous chunks of hair while considering the conundrum of what to give their lovely wives. In fact, this year, because of some slight upheaval in my family's financial situation mostly due to strains from the current not-to-be-named plague, I have as of yet to begin Christmas shopping.

Just this morning a voice on the News intoned that infamous call, "Men - you only have twenty more days until Christmas to shop for your wife!!!" I'll admit that I was startled... until I reminded myself that I have a system for that. I will make it through the season with joy... and even fun. I have shared my home with a beautiful, kind woman for forty years at this point. Over that time I've created a system that allows me to navigate Christmas shopping for my wife with aplomb and vigor and to bring some small joy to her heart on Christmas morning. I eventually even wrote up a small treatise on my system and posted it on my webpage.

So... Every year around this time I update the webpage that contains my "Gentleman's Guide to Christmas Shopping for His Wife - The Food Groups System" and post it to my favorite forums as an encouragement and comfort to my friends. You can find it HERE.

Happy and successful hunting... and gift-giving!!!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-05-2020, 11:03 AM

Sensational!
Old 12-05-2020, 11:25 AM

Hmmmm... Your system implies more than one gift. I'll have to think about that. I thought as long as I observed "Nothing with a cord" rule I was golden.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:22 PM

Something in a wrapped box would be a lot easier than my being mid-stream in a plumbing fix gone wrong but I predict a very happy wife when it's all solved.

Prodding a boy to suspend the sailboat project (it's December) and put his mom's car in garage stall where the boat was will might be good gift too.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:54 PM

This is a lovely read and you sound as if you have a wonderful, caring relationship with your wife.

All I want is an electric guitar. Oh, well, and an amp, too. I’m not your usual girlie girl by any stretch!
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 12-05-2020, 02:05 PM

We're doing "on-line" shopping this year. I hate it, absolutely hate it. Always enjoy the hunt and visiting with a few shops. Yes, I am one of those..
Old 12-05-2020, 04:50 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
This is a lovely read and you sound as if you have a wonderful, caring relationship with your wife.

All I want is an electric guitar. Oh, well, and an amp, too. I’m not your usual girlie girl by any stretch!
Interestingly, though my wife is quite feminine, one of her favorite dates is wandering a big box hardware/building center. She's got her own tool kit, in pink, of course.

Bob

Old 12-05-2020, 10:00 PM

Um, what wife?
Old 12-05-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
In the lives of some husbands, Christmas shopping time looms as a time of discomfort. I've noticed that around this time of year, forums begin to ring with the anxious cries as good men uproot generous chunks of hair while considering the conundrum of what to give their lovely wives...
Most of my hair is gone anyway, so I'm largely unaffected...

FYI my wife is also my lifelong music partner - that's how we met in the 1967 "Summer of Love" (a story for another time) - and rhythm guitarist in our last band (first one for her that wasn't a church music ministry/CCM-P&W band/worship team, BTW)...

No problem: we just walk into the nearest GC/Sam Ash/local mom-&-pop or regional chain store (if we happen to be on the road) - used to go to MandoBros when they were still around - right about this time, and see what's new and useful...

We're each other's extra set of eyes, ears, and fingers when it comes to a potential purchase - I check out all the technical stuff, she does the fit/finish assessment and final price negotiations, and it's a win-win situation for both of us...

We've both come away with a healthy stock of keepers over the last 30 years...

It's the most wonderful time of the year...
Old 12-06-2020, 11:13 AM

Relationship goals, if ever I lose my mind, and find myself with a Mr. Music-N-Yarn again.

Well done, Bob Womack. This system could easily be tweaked too, for a lady's guide to shopping for her beloved.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Bob, this is outstanding, a true public service! Thanks!
Old 12-09-2020, 09:52 AM

Bob, been buying Christmas gifts for my wife for 27 years. Second marriage for both of us so we’re a bit more....mature, and, frankly, don’t want or need much. But the fun of Christmas is in giving and receiving. Found your Guidelines most thought provoking and have viewed gift buying/giving a little differently this year. It’s been more fun than usual!

Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-09-2020, 11:11 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Bob, been buying Christmas gifts for my wife for 27 years. Second marriage for both of us so we’re a bit more....mature, and, frankly, don’t want or need much. But the fun of Christmas is in giving and receiving. Found your Guidelines most thought provoking and have viewed gift buying/giving a little differently this year. It’s been more fun than usual!

Thanks for sharing!
I'm glad you found it useful!

Bob

Old 12-09-2020, 01:21 PM

Maybe not very romantic, but now I'm giving my wife at least 1/2 a new kitchen I'm not sure we really need.

The unplanned circumstances are probably best for a separate thread.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic