The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-03-2020, 11:09 AM

Default My hands are failing me....need new guitar advice.

Well, as more candles appear on my birthday cake the unfortunate reality is starting to set in that my hands are failing me. It has recently gotten to the point that I cannot play my steel string guitars for any extended amount of time. I had the opportunity to play my brothers Taylor NS32-ce recently for a few months and it was completely night and day! I loved that guitar! I could play all day and no problems. I mic'd it and it sounded great. That guitar simply inspired me to play more. It responded to both finger picking and using a flat pick. Then he took it back. I offered to buy it. Doesn't want to sell. So now I am on the hunt for a replacement. Not being educated in nylon string guitars, I always went to Taylor or Martin first. I know there is better out there and that is where I could really use the help! I am guessing I am really looking for a crossover. I would like a cutaway, but not a deal breaker. I also prefer lower action. I don't really have a heavy hand or strum so I can usually get away with lower action. I play a cross between pop and jazz with a fairly even distribution of finger picking and using a pick. I would also like for it to have electronics installed although again, not a deal breaker. Would a budget from $2,000-3,000 be enough? Should I look to a manufacturer or are their independent luthiers that would be a better bet? Although maybe not in that price range.

Direction, help, and advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 12-03-2020, 11:34 AM

I have also been intrigued by the Cerventes Crossover 12-fret. Any experiences with those?
Old 12-03-2020, 03:15 PM

I don't have experience with the Cervantes Crossover, but I do own a Cervantes Rodriguez Signature, which is an incredible instrument. Before buying the Cervantes I owned a Taylor NS62 custom for many years, but I found a crossover to be a little cramped in the fingerboard because of the combination of nylon strings and a 48 mm nut. I would recommend trying a 52 mm nut standard classical before making a decision. You might be surprised at how easy a good classical can be to play.

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 12-03-2020, 03:28 PM

I don't find it any easier to play a classical guitar honestly. I know that is a common perception but I don't find it to be true. Tough I do play with high action on my classical guitars so that might have something to do with it. I think with tha budget you should find something real nice.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I don't find it any easier to play a classical guitar honestly. I know that is a common perception but I don't find it to be true. Tough I do play with high action on my classical guitars so that might have something to do with it. I think with tha budget you should find something real nice.
I don't know if it was the shorter scale, the nylon strings, or the wider neck, but my hands didn't cramp and hurt after I played for extended amounts of time. And my Martin 000 is a dream to play. I have no complaints about it at all. Just something about the nylon strings worked for me. I've even wondered about moving down to a little lighter acoustic string. I use .12's now, but I just don't know how much of a difference it would really make.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:34 PM

Advising for a nylon is such a broad shot.. what music do you play? Do you prefer a wide 2” nut or a crossover 1 7/8”? Flat fretboard or radiused? Etc. I switched to pure classical and flamenco guitars, not crossovers, few years ago and in your price range, you can aim at some used luthier made guitars which are a different planet compared to Martins, Taylors etc. But you have to like the specs. If you want to embark in classical guitars, I’d start with a 70s or 80s Kohno or Sakurai. They are very cheap (1200$ up to 3 times more for higher models with Brazilian), compared to what you get for and are quite easy to resell eventually.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:42 PM
Guest 928

And, as I've suggested in previous threads, take a look at kremona guitars. The specs are incredibly clear and cover just about every aspect of the nylon strung instrument: nut width, scale, woods, and so forth. Some customization is also possible and I've ordered a Sofia with a Spruce (rather than cedar) face, without electronics, and a rosette from another model. I like the looks, I like the reviews, and like the diverse possibilities at a very reasonable price.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:10 PM

I will take a look at those! I really liked the neck on the Taylor NS32-ce, so I can go back and look at the specs on that. I really appreciate all the info! Who are some of the independent luthiers I should look into?
Old 12-03-2020, 08:18 PM

CARVIN CL FAMILY. This one is sold but they show up once in a while:

https://reverb.com/item/14828072-car...id-spruce-rare

There are a few versions. The cedar-top models are really nice. The cutaway neck/heel profile is good.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Considering all you said, here are some possibilities (all under your price range):

Cordoba Fusion Orchestra CE 12 (way under your budget, but a lot of guitar for the money and I think it has all you were looking for).

Taylor NS52ce, NS54ce, NS72ce, NS74ce (often overpriced, if priced fairly they should fit your budget)

Martin 000C, 000C12-16E

Taylor 514ce-N

Takamine TC135SC

Pono N30DC

Others that do not fit your wish list as well, but that you might want to consider:

Martin 00-16C, 00-18C, 00-18G

Close to your upper range: Martin 00-28C, 00-28G

To "get into the nylon business" I would consider the Cordoba and see how it goes from there.

I also use Silk and Steel strings on my steel-string guitars to make it easier on my hands and fingers (e.g. Martin MA130 strings).

Regards...Chris (most of these guitars are reviewed or demonstrated on my YouTube site - see link below)

YouTube Site

Last edited by CCFingerstyle; 12-06-2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:41 PM

My posts were apparently deleted from this thread because I mentioned the possibility of commerce happening. So, I'd like to once again suggest the Martin OOOC. I had a hand injury and this guitar was a godsend for me.
+ Reverend Double Agent OG
Old 12-05-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsharris View Post
Well, as more candles appear on my birthday cake the unfortunate reality is starting to set in that my hands are failing me. It has recently gotten to the point that I cannot play my steel string guitars for any extended amount of time. I had the opportunity to play my brothers Taylor NS32-ce recently for a few months and it was completely night and day! I loved that guitar! I could play all day and no problems. I mic'd it and it sounded great. That guitar simply inspired me to play more. It responded to both finger picking and using a flat pick. Then he took it back. I offered to buy it. Doesn't want to sell. So now I am on the hunt for a replacement. Not being educated in nylon string guitars, I always went to Taylor or Martin first. I know there is better out there and that is where I could really use the help! I am guessing I am really looking for a crossover. I would like a cutaway, but not a deal breaker. I also prefer lower action. I don't really have a heavy hand or strum so I can usually get away with lower action. I play a cross between pop and jazz with a fairly even distribution of finger picking and using a pick. I would also like for it to have electronics installed although again, not a deal breaker. Would a budget from $2,000-3,000 be enough? Should I look to a manufacturer or are their independent luthiers that would be a better bet? Although maybe not in that price range.

Direction, help, and advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
You say,
I loved that guitar!
I think you should consider getting the same model. I mean what could be better than the relationship you had with the Taylor? I don't ask as a rhetorical question, I wonder what could be better than what you have described?

Last edited by offkey; 12-05-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:58 AM

Kenny Hill and Cordoba both make some shorter scale guitars at varying price points. I haven't really played any of their shorter scale guitars, although I would like to. But they both build good instruments at their price points. Their instruments will both be noticeably more resonant than the Taylor.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 12-06-2020, 11:16 AM
Guitar Gourmet

The best advice I can give is to have a guitar fretted with the tallest frets that will work. Taller frets require less fretting pressure and are thus easier on a painful hand. When I had a run in with a succession of Statin drugs that left me everything but crippled, the only guitar I could play for any length of time was a Gibson (short scale) with monstrous .056 frets and light strings.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-06-2020, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

As an aside if your hands are suffering from advancing age arthritis (which we all have to deal with in varying degrees), I started to experience tendon like pain in my left wrist and I thought it was DeQuervain’s Syndrome. I went to a hand doctor and it’s actually Basal joint thumb arthritis which can be mostly corrected now with a proven surgery. However, the doctor wanted to do that only as a last resort so he advised I visit a hand therapist. She set me up with a brace and some hand exercises I do 3-4 times a week and I’ve gotten very proactive with hand stretches. In addition I started applying CBD oil (anti-inflammatory) 2-3 times daily to the affected area. I can honestly say the therapy, stretching, and CBD anti-inflammatory has arrested the progression and I pretty much found I don’t need the brace anymore. I’m sure the degradation of the joint is not going to stop but I believe I’ve slowed it down so for now I’m fully functional to play all my guitars.

Good luck and enjoy the search for a new and different guitar.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical