The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-03-2020, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

I use 2 Apple TVs in conjunction with 2 Samsung Smart TVs. The picture quality is great and the wide range of available Apps is impressive. Also, the Apps are compatible cross-platform with the Apps I use on my iPad, iPhone, MacBooks and Desktops & create a very nice system environment.

Another nice feature is you only have to set up one screen layout and it’s easy to mirror the screen so every Apple tv layout displays exactly the same through your iCloud settings.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 12-03-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Two smart tvs, one in the family room and one in the basement roadhouse bar. The one in the family room is a Sony and it is great. The one in the basement is a Vizio and it is not very good. It is very touchy and unresponsive to the remote. Also it kicks itself off the internet and won't connect back up without a lot of swearing. We stream almost everything that we watch and what we don't stream is antenna tv.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 12-03-2020, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

I decided I would get a sound bar to help extend the life of my 2012 Samsung TV with blown speaker(s). In researching, I learned that the HDMI ports in this TV don't support the sound quality that many current sound bars can put out. This got me looking at new TVs in addition to sound bars. Then I learned that my Roku 3 doesn't support the quality of video that new TVs can produce so, guess what I got?

Yup, all three! Sony TV, Sonos soundbar (the smaller one "Beam"), Roku Ultra. Yay Cyber Monday.

Has anyone here tried the Criterian Channel?

And to respond to the actual subject of the OP, I have used Roku for many years and have had very few problems. I think the worst bout of issues turned out to be a function of the batteries in the remote being low to dead! I find their interface extremely user friendly, much moreso than the TV's. Samsung was one of the companies that gathered and sold a lot of data from users which was another reason I never wanted to use their built-in app system. I similarly did not want to get into the Google cybersphere with the new Sony TV which is what prompted me to stick with Roku. If you want (the possibility of) highest def TV, you need to make sure everything is compatible with that goal. According to the sub-30 year old at BestBuy, the Ultra is the only Roku device that supports 4K def.

Last edited by Dogma; 12-03-2020 at 06:35 PM. Reason: more scintillating content!
Old 12-03-2020, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Apple TV, Sony ‘Smart’ TV and Roku here.

The Sony functionality is pretty good, but it’s painfully slow at times.

Apple TV is probably the smoothest, and best performing, but the current remote is an ergonomic nightmare. I’ve always suspected that whoever designed it knew they were about to be fired, and this was their going away gift

Roku is my favourite. I like the UI. I like the fact that the remote has real buttons. I’ve probably got one of every generation, either in service, or in the electronic graveyard in the basement. Trying to find a reason to buy the latest Ultra, which finally has programmable buttons on the remote.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-03-2020, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post

Apple TV is probably the smoothest, and best performing, but the current remote is an ergonomic nightmare. I’ve always suspected that whoever designed it knew they were about to be fired, and this was their going away gift

Roku is my favourite. I like the UI. I like the fact that the remote has real buttons. I’ve probably got one of every generation, either in service, or in the electronic graveyard in the basement. Trying to find a reason to buy the latest Ultra, which finally has programmable buttons on the remote.
Check out this remote.

https://function101.com/products/but...e-for-apple-tv
Old 12-03-2020, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I love it. Thank you!
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-03-2020, 06:57 PM

I use a Roku to stream Amazon Prime, Netflix and Youtube TV.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 12-03-2020, 11:02 PM

When I first bought my LG smart TV, I used a 4K Amazon Fire Stick for all my streaming services and apps. But I found that it lagged, and at times it wouldn’t calibrate correctly with my sound bar.

After a year or two of dealing with the headache of that, I switched to a 4K Apple TV box and never ever ever looked back! Worth every single penny!!

Old 12-04-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren_WarEagle View Post
When I first bought my LG smart TV, I used a 4K Amazon Fire Stick for all my streaming services and apps. But I found that it lagged, and at times it wouldn’t calibrate correctly with my sound bar.

After a year or two of dealing with the headache of that, I switched to a 4K Apple TV box and never ever ever looked back! Worth every single penny!!
We have a vendor solution that's brought 12 of those Firesticks into 3 of our buildings. They just replaced them for a latest version. With some of the Apple units too I confess we get the Amazon ones to work but it's SO K-Mart shopper or cobbled junk show compared to doing same with the Apple units or when the content providers use better technology.

1 each of our conference rooms at 3 facilities are kept up with up to date quality TV plus main player dongles. Breakrooms have smart TVs provided by a vendor in a same way. All of these places have enterprise grade WiFi and networks. It's really telling as to how good the Apple stuff is.

My personal or retirement portfolios hold stock in these major players so reality is I'm happy as long as you buy something but it's no mystery that we're getting deeper into Apple's ever increasing offerings for enterprise. The stuff really does work well, lasts long, and makes lots of people happy.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I use the Remote app for my Apple TVs. I would lose my mind having to each letter vs. just typing it on my iPhone / iPad. Plus, it's one less thing that I need to keep charged.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I use the Remote app for my Apple TVs. I would lose my mind having to each letter vs. just typing it on my iPhone / iPad. Plus, it's one less thing that I need to keep charged.

I use the voice to text option in the Apple remote when I search, and it’s the best thing ever! Usually doesn’t give me any trouble, but I also like that I can use the remote app on my iPhone.

Old 12-04-2020, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren_WarEagle View Post
I use the voice to text option in the Apple remote when I search, and it’s the best thing ever! Usually doesn’t give me any trouble, but I also like that I can use the remote app on my iPhone.
+1^^^^ same here. I tend to use my iPhone and iPad for searching or authentication — or whenever I need to provide text input. I tend to use the “Function” remote for turning TV on/off, changing channels, controlling volume, choosing mute, and other basic operations.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 12-04-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Recently bought a Google Chromecast and am enjoying having access to all the classic TV shows, movies, etc. -- Some GREAT guitar playing on the old Glen Campbell variety shows! What other shows feature a good amount of guitar playing? Cheers!
Old 12-05-2020, 01:06 AM
AGF Administrator

I use an Apple TV with a few streaming services. Saves me about $800 a year from what I was previously paying for my TV service.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
Recently bought a Google Chromecast and am enjoying having access to all the classic TV shows, movies, etc. -- Some GREAT guitar playing on the old Glen Campbell variety shows! What other shows feature a good amount of guitar playing? Cheers!
Is Chromecast a streaming service and device? Do you have to both buy the device and then subscribe for the shows?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic