The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-30-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.
Default Sitting Or Standing?

Because I wind up doing both, I also practice that way.

Old 11-30-2020, 12:24 PM

there is something to this,

One of my favorite guys to see is John Gorka.

He'll often grab for a chair and say to people "Gotta sit down for these next songs, I've not learned how to play them standing up yet".

LOL!
Old 11-30-2020, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Timely thread for me.

I am recently working through a disc injury in my back that has kept me from being able to sit for the last three months

I have started to adapt to playing standing and laying flat on my back. I think it has helped my playing as a I rely on my eyes less

But it has also had me focus on how I stabilize the guitar while I play and was a good excuse to indulge some gas and find a gorgeous OO Ted Thompson T2 that sounds great but is much easier for me to play standing up due to smaller size and lightweight

Last edited by Aspiring; 11-30-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:03 PM

We had a sitcom on UK TV about metal detector enthusiasts called The Detectorists, in one episode a lead character went to an open mic night but had to play his ukelele sat down cross legged on the stage floor because that was the only way he ever played at home.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:39 PM

I don't know anyone personally who can't play sitting. I know several who "cant" play standing up (yet....I like to say) because they haven't spent any time trying.

Some of them (and some of you) will state "oh I only play at home, for myself, I don't need to learn that"....Then they find themselves at a backyard jam, or campground at a festival, or somewhere else they'd like to play but they don't have their chair.

Folks, if you're like me you just don't know where this may take you. Put in the time now to learn how to play and sing at the same time, how to play various chord inversions, how to use a capo, how to flat pick, how to finger pick, and how to play standing up.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

I have a friend that I did a couple of coffee shop gigs with and not only can't he play standing up, he can't play unless he is sitting in a special chair, has his foot up on a special foot stool and is positioned to the left of me. It's okay, he's a good player.

I can play sitting, standing, or walking. I practice sitting, but sometimes I go up stairs to show my wife something and I stand while I play it for her. But for some reason she can't stand still and she always has to go to another room to do something right then so I have to follow her around while I play. Just the way life treats me.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 12-01-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:25 AM

I always use a strap. The bottom of the guitar never rests on another part of my body. I can basically play anywhere: standing, sitting, probably even skateboarding, though I have never tried.
+ Reverend Double Agent OG

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write