The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-28-2020, 10:29 AM

Default Probably stupid question...

So how common is it to sing along with an arrangement that has the melody line arranged into the song as an instrumental? E.g. I found an arrangement for guitar I really like of Piano Man by Billy Joel that isn't just strumming chords (see below) Obviously there is an advantage as I can actually sing right along with the melody line but will it sound right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlv1frGNcuY

Song is in Open G with a drop C (CGDGBD) capo 5th fret.

Last edited by Cecil6243; 11-28-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:22 AM

I don't usually sing the melody and play the melody simultaneously. When I played solo gigs I would work out the melody in a couple octaves to play as a break between singing the verses.

When accompanying a singer I never play the melody while they are singing.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Hi Cecil, thank you for showing us this musician. This was superbly played and I hung on to wallow in his sublime interpretation of Hotel California too.

to answer your question, in my own far more humble way, I'll work out the melody line using the chord progression as a clue and use this for an intro and outro and a break, but ease back to a chordal backing (with bass line) when my vocals take the lead line.

Hope that helps.

Rather than posting one of my guitar backed vocals I thought we should share this chap's playing a little more :

ad some might have heard of this number ::

Old 11-28-2020, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately due to copy write issues the Hotel California arrangement can't be seen in the U.S.

Can I take the above arrangement, play it the same way, but when the vocals and harp come in just leave out the melody line and singing then? Will that sound right? Or will I have to do some rearranging in the singing parts? Excellent suggestions on intro and outro and break Sill Moustache!

My apologies but I'm not the most advanced player, but I'm learning as much as I can!

Last edited by Cecil6243; 11-28-2020 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
So how common is it to sing along with an arrangement that has the melody line arranged into the song as an instrumental? E.g. I found an arrangement for guitar I really like of Piano Man by Billy Joel that isn't just strumming chords (see below) Obviously there is an advantage as I can actually sing right along with the melody line but will it sound right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlv1frGNcuY

Song is in Open G with a drop C (CGDGBD) capo 5th fret.
That sounds like a nice arrangement, it's not at all unusual in the folk tradition for a singer to accompany themselves with the melody, some old modal tunes just sound too modern when sung to a chord progression, problem is that playing a fingerstyle melody like that can take some concentration unless you are very familiar with your instrument in that tuning, you don't want to be looking at the fretboard and trying to sing, so you could start of learning to sing to the melody but switch to an easier chordal accompaniment during the harder bits, if your singing is anything like mine you want to be concentrating on the voice not the guitar part.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:12 PM

It's called "Unison". It takes extra practice to pull this off. I do it on a couple of songs, just the guitar and voice, both doing the melody, no chords. it is very neat, provided you use this trick rarely. Use it too often and it will quickly get old.

(Note to self: next time, do this playing harmony on the guitar, not melody.)

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write