The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-22-2022, 08:34 AM

Default [NGD] Custom Archtop by Stephen Holst

Almost 18 months to the day, my custom Holst archtop has arrived. And it's everything I could want in a guitar: size, color, shape, feel, sound, weight, etc. Steve and I worked hand-in-hand (email-to-email?) to create the exact specs. His suggestions and advice were invaluable when it came to things I knew too little about. Everything - and I mean everything - was spec'd to the finest detail. From the binding, to the sound port, to the Swiss spruce top and flamed maple back & sides, to the pickup type & placement, finish, etc.

It's strung with Thomastik-Infeld George Benson GR112s, and is smooth and tasty, even unplugged!

Well, you all want pics, so here goes...

With my 652ce Builder's Edition and GS Mini-e Koa for comparison's sake:

Old 06-24-2022, 11:31 PM

Congratulations! Beautiful guitar!

Is yours a solid top and back or one of his laminated guitars? I have a K200, 16 inch lower bout, laminated top and back plates, Kent Armstrong hand wound pickup and K&K Pure Sound transducer. I ordered the guitar when Steve started making his own laminated plates.

I've really enjoyed my Holst over the years. Hope you will enjoy your new guitar for many years to come.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful archtop! Congratulations!

- Glenn
Old 06-25-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Congratulations! Beautiful guitar!

Is yours a solid top and back or one of his laminated guitars? I have a K200, 16 inch lower bout, laminated top and back plates, Kent Armstrong hand wound pickup and K&K Pure Sound transducer. I ordered the guitar when Steve started making his own laminated plates.

I've really enjoyed my Holst over the years. Hope you will enjoy your new guitar for many years to come.
No laminate on this guy! Carved top and carved back. Given the size and my requirement that I wanted it to sound good unplugged, the carved body we agreed was the way to go.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops