The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-26-2022, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Default Update from Emerald

Davy just sent me an email.

If you select the 1 11/16" nut width on the X20, the neck is 56mm at the 14th fret, and 2 1/4" at the bridge.

Lots to think about.......
Old 05-26-2022, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP5 View Post
Pao Ferro Veneer
Ghost with K&K
Gold Gotohs
1 11/16" nut width
14" Radius
$4145 + shipping

Not really all that extravagant IMO, but it adds up. Even swapping for the LR Baggs, only brings it down to $3,870 (still over $4k with shipping). The nut width is the big one at $450. But it appears to be the only way to get a narrower neck.
Sounds like a lovely guitar, but, as you say, those options add up pretty quickly.

At least they're available, rather than one size fits all.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-26-2022, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Sounds like a lovely guitar, but, as you say, those options add up pretty quickly.

At least they're available, rather than one size fits all.
Thanks. And I agree on the options. It's nice to have some flexibility available to you.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:36 PM

Thanks for taking the time to give us your notes on your meeting. It confirms what I found out as well. It would be great if Alistair took a hard look at modifying the necks so the strings paralleled the entire neck without an increase size of the shoulder. I’m curious to hear what the X20 measurements are, and good on Emerald for providing them. This info should be on their website; the 3D Builder should be updated with measurements up the neck for each model.

As far as comparing Emerald to other CF brands and models, that’s personal preference. I tried a Sable at the same shop I tried the X30 and loved the Sable’s neck and playability far more than the Emerald, but in terms of tone and projection, weight and looks it was night and day in favor of the Emerald. I’d rather spend on an Emerald and hope the more narrow neck width works for me. I’ve decided not to get a veneer finish and am still thinking about whether or not to have Emerald install a pickup system.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Default No turning back now....

I took the plunge and ordered my X20 today. Here are my specs:

Pau Ferro top
1 11/16" nut width
Standard Scale
14" radius fretboard
Gold tuners
K&K only (no Ghost)

And now the infamous countdown begins........
Old 05-31-2022, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Pau Ferro top
1 11/16" nut width
Standard Scale
14" radius fretboard
Gold tuners
K&K only (no Ghost)

Yay! Congratulations - interesting that they’ll do the K&K by itself. I’m sure a lot of people would go for that if they made it a regular offering.

How long are they quoting for delivery right now? Is it still 2 months out?
Cordoba Stage

Old 05-31-2022, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Yay! Congratulations - interesting that they’ll do the K&K by itself. I’m sure a lot of people would go for that if they made it a regular offering.

How long are they quoting for delivery right now? Is it still 2 months out?
Thanks David. I appreciate your posts as they helped pave the way.

Regarding the K&K, I was going back and forth with Davy and just thought I'd ask. The LR Baggs is ok, but you have the awkward battery and position to swap out. I really like the simplicity of the K&K and no battery. The Ghost feature and adjustable bridge didn't mean anything to me. I am not a techie to begin with, so I asked for the simple option and he said no problem.

As for the delivery, yes approx 2 months out.

Vince

Last edited by VJP5; 05-31-2022 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:40 PM

Congratulations on your order! Pau ferro looks very classy, nice choice! I’ll be interested to know how the more narrow neck width works for you. Two months go by in a flash!
Old 05-31-2022, 08:16 PM

Quote:

Pau Ferro top
1 11/16" nut width
Standard Scale
14" radius fretboard
Gold tuners
K&K only (no Ghost)

Cool! Congrats!! I also sent that same inquiry to Emerald regarding the K&K by itself. I was told the same and that it would be $150 less without the Ghost. My question to them was regarding the adjustable bridge though. Is yours the straight bridge/saddle design?
Old 06-01-2022, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Cool! Congrats!! I also sent that same inquiry to Emerald regarding the K&K by itself. I was told the same and that it would be $150 less without the Ghost. My question to them was regarding the adjustable bridge though. Is yours the straight bridge/saddle design?
I was told it will look just like if you selected the 'no pickup' option, meaning their new pinless bridge design.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:25 PM

I plan to order an X20 without a pickup system, then have my tech install an LR Baggs StagePro Anthem. I’ll see if Emerald can prep the guitar for the install, though I know they won’t do the cut-out for the control panel. I’ll make sure the more narrow nut width and neck works for me before going forward with the pickup installation, knowing that once I cut into it the return policy is voided.

Any suggestions or advice on my plan of action?
Old 06-21-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
I plan to order an X20 without a pickup system, then have my tech install an LR Baggs StagePro Anthem. I’ll see if Emerald can prep the guitar for the install, though I know they won’t do the cut-out for the control panel. I’ll make sure the more narrow nut width and neck works for me before going forward with the pickup installation, knowing that once I cut into it the return policy is voided.

Any suggestions or advice on my plan of action?
No suggestions other than to add that I think this is a great plan of action; find out if you like the tone and overall feel of the guitar in your hands before proceeding. Hope you keep us posted!
Old 06-21-2022, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll post an update once I get the guitar. From what I remember, Emerald guitars are thicker than Composite Acoustic guitars, but nothing my tech can’t handle. I wish Emerald would install the pickup system, but respect their business model. It’s unrealistic to think they can meet every customer’s request.

Last edited by Quintus; 06-21-2022 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
Thanks for the feedback! I’ll post an update once I get the guitar. From what I remember, Emerald guitars are thicker than Composite Acoustic guitars, but nothing my tech can’t handle. I wish Emerald would install the pickup system, but respect their business model. It’s unrealistic to think they can meet every customer’s request.
I'll be interested to see how your finish project turns out. I've owned 5 Emeralds now including several custom woody's I've order from scratch myself. They all eventually went away mostly because I didn't like any of their pickup systems. I currently have a RainSong with an Anthem StagePro that I like very much and SO wish that Emerald offered that system. If they did, I'd place an order for a new custom woody. Anyway, make sure you keep us posted on the Anthem StagePro install and how it came out.
Old 07-01-2022, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I'll be interested to see how your finish project turns out. I've owned 5 Emeralds now including several custom woody's I've order from scratch myself. They all eventually went away mostly because I didn't like any of their pickup systems. I currently have a RainSong with an Anthem StagePro that I like very much and SO wish that Emerald offered that system. If they did, I'd place an order for a new custom woody. Anyway, make sure you keep us posted on the Anthem StagePro install and how it came out.
Reading this makes me so happy I have absolutely no need to ever plug my acoustic guitars into anything, and thus never have to be concerned about pickups, preamps, PAs and all that stuff.

If you’ll forgive me for saying so, Methos - it sounds like you’ve been chasing a pickup system you can live with, way more than you’ve been chasing any particular guitar.
Cordoba Stage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber