The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 07-22-2020, 10:11 PM

Default The Stromberg name is back - again...

Looks like they've gone over from Korean to European manufacture:

http://stromberguitars.com/

Anybody heard/played/know where to find one...?
Old 07-23-2020, 06:58 AM

Hi Steve—I was in the Netherlands in early October 2018, so nearly two years ago, and met up with Theo Scharpach who told me about this project. It sounded great—I recall the Stromberg estate may have let them take measurements off some of the classic Stromberg archtops. I believe they had hoped to have something ready to show at NAMM this year, but as is often the case there must have been delays. At any rate, it is wonderful to see their effort come to fruition! And unfortunately I don’t know where they are available to see/hear, but I will try to find out. —Richard
Old 07-23-2020, 07:27 AM

So far the website seems to imply they are all thin-line laminated bodies, they do look nice. Do you know where the factory is? Europe has a long history of excellent guitar making.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mott View Post
Hi Steve—I was in the Netherlands in early October 2018, so nearly two years ago, and met up with Theo Scharpach who told me about this project. It sounded great—I recall the Stromberg estate may have let them take measurements off some of the classic Stromberg archtops...
If Theo Scharpach is involved things could get real interesting in short order - possibly a new Master 300/400...?
Old 07-23-2020, 11:36 AM

Theo confirms he is still involved and at least the true carved archtop instruments are drawn from the original Strombergs. But predictably at a higher price point than the earlier ones. Here’s betting they are excellent instruments!
Old 08-01-2020, 06:19 PM

If I were looking for a Stromberg style guitar, I would look at AJL guitars
2012 AJL XO
2015 Yohan Cholet Modele Jazz
2018 Trenier Custom Archtop
2020 Fraulini Nick Lucas
Old 08-02-2020, 08:48 AM

Hi Loren—Just looked at those AJL archtops, very nice looking indeed! Not a name I was familiar with, but great looking instruments. —Richard
Old 08-02-2020, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mott View Post
Hi Loren—Just looked at those AJL archtops, very nice looking indeed! Not a name I was familiar with, but great looking instruments. —Richard
Me too, hadn't heard of them ..... in Finland!
Old 08-08-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Tilley View Post
If I were looking for a Stromberg style guitar, I would look at AJL guitars
https://www.ajl-guitars.com/guitar-3...master_400.php
Old 08-08-2020, 05:02 PM

Ranger Doug! That 19” design is huge! Single transverse brace. Like no other.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Default AJL Guitars

I've seen two of them, absolutely first rate. But am not sure I could handle a 19-inch body without getting armpit rash!
Old 08-17-2020, 04:39 PM

But rest assured that Stromberg guitars are not coming back.
My sister in law is a very talented painter, perhaps I'll buy the rights to the names Rembrandt, Van Gogh and Vermeer and show the world some of their new works.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:09 AM

OKCtodd71, I'm with you. It's one thing to buy a name like Gibson, Harmony, Kent, Dobro - all factories that have had many owners - and "recreate" or "restart" the production line. I have few issues with that. My problem is with taking the name and namesake of a person, a single builder, like D'Angelico or Stromberg. Stromberg was mostly two people, father and son, produced less than 650 instruments, and the company died when they died. For me, start a new name for your new guitars.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:37 AM

I’m less sure about this. I think when you make a formal arrangement with the Stromberg estate to use the name, and you take exacting measurements from their historic instruments and have highly skilled luthiers recreate them, in key respects it becomes a legacy production, certainly with as much continuity as bigger shops like Gibson or Fender, etc., which change owners and builders over time. Others may disagree, or at least not wish to equate the new instruments with the old—which is fair—but equally there is a lot more going on than simply slapping a name on an unrelated instrument.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:30 PM

Saw the newer Strombergs, very nice. Interesting to see the new models (thinline) I was unaware that Stromberg ever made these back in their heyday.

I wish they offered them without the relic finishes. If I'm paying for a new guitar, I want it to look new. I'll put the wear and tear on it myself, thank you!

Jay

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops